Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Onboard Catering Meal Allocations : Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2020, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold

I was thinking back to my last few QR flights in Business, pre lockdown and wondered if anyone had any insights on how the meals in business are decided upon. i.e. who gets the chicken/fish etc

My 1st flight of 2020, I was told “We run out of x or y”. Not a big issue as I can usually find something to eat.

2nd flight, I had the same response, so I asked the cabin manager and he said something like, each person taking the meal orders has an allocation and they don’t interact, swap or discuss with their colleagues. When their allowance is gone, it’s gone. Seemed somewhat odd but never mind.

3rd flight, when they ran out of whatever, I asked what was going on and the Cabin Manger did find me the meal but it was an effort.

If it helps, I was sat in row 2 or 1 on all flights and orders were taken from the front.

I appreciate they probably prioritise by status etc but it amazes me how the meals can be “found” with no-one else swapping after they are adamant, they had run out.

Just curious as to any insights people may have to help when I return to Qatar again post COVID.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
In my experience, the orders were taken by the galley manager or the FA responsible for your section and they cross out the item from the inventory list (some items are loaded with less portions than others). IME they don't prioritise status pax.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:14 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum
In my experience FA's have a specific allocation of each but they always asked FA's in other sections if they ran out of their allocation of the dish I wanted.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kl1987
In my experience FA's have a specific allocation of each but they always asked FA's in other sections if they ran out of their allocation of the dish I wanted.
Same here. I've experienced this a fair few times - and almost always my first choice has been found from another crew's allocation.

I have been pre-ordering most of my meals lately, although it can be hit and miss as to whether the crew have been informed of the pre-orders.
kl1987 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 1:57 am

A lot of the time, it seems like all pre-departure pomp and circumstance (pyjamas, drinks, crew introductions, meal orders) are done based on who's on board and ready to go. To that end, now I board early, get all my organizing done as quickly as possible, and assume the "model passenger" position as quickly as possible. If your crew member walks past and you're still messing around with bags and coats and whatnot, it could be 15 minutes before they're free to check on you again! This is critical if you have a specific menu item in mind or want to manage two glasses of bubbles before takeoff, haha!
kl1987 and purple1addict like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.