Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Misconnect protection on separate tickets (repatriation flight)

Old May 20, 20, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, SPG Plat

I’ve booked a revenue ticket on an upcoming repatriation flight from JNB-DOH (ticketed by Qatar), connecting to an award ticket DOH-ORD (ticketed by AA). Separate tickets, both flights operated by QR, with a three hour connection in Doha.

The repatriation flights from JNB to date do not inspire confidence (I believe the first one was delayed 25 hours). Will QR protect and reaccomodate me in case of misconnection?

A bit worried because they aren’t allowing entry into Qatar and there look to only be one bank of US flights per day right now...
Old May 20, 20, 4:41 pm

The two separate tickets that you hold do not constitute a "single contract of carriage" and therefore QR does not have any obligation to protect / reaccommodate you. In most likelihood, in case you miss your connection, you will have to call AA and sort things out with them (beware: DHIA has quite good free wifi however roaming charges are obscenely expensive) - in this case though for AA you will be no show so please review the conditions of your ticket that regulate such cases, you may have to pay a hefty sum to be rebooked. I also see a different issue here - as you have a one-way JNB DOH ticket and Qatar is currently closed for non-nationals / non-residents, it is quite possible you will not be allowed to fly at all (especially if you have luggage to check in, as there is no guarantee that QR will be able to check it through to ORD, so that you can claim that you will remain in transit). To evade any surprises, I very strongly suggest that you call QR and discuss your circumstances - or, even better, if you can, go to JNB / QR local office and discuss things in person with the QR local rep. As of 1 June QR is scheduled to operate only 1 daily rotation on DOH ORD - if you miss that and provided that access restrictions to Qatar remain as they are currently you will have to spend the time until the next flight in the transit area of the airport (or alternatively, book a room in the transit hotel). As an alternative and depending on the rebooking conditions of your AA ticket you may potentially be rebooked on other OW carriers, if any such flights operate by the time you travel.

An obvious comment but just making sure: the fact that JNB DOH is a repatriation flight does not entitle you to any different treatment than as if it were a regular scheduled flight (unless your ticket conditions specify otherwise).
witthuus likes this.

Last edited by MichaelA380; May 20, 20 at 4:46 pm
Old May 20, 20, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

JNB-DOH and DOH-ORD are both operated by QR. AA just happens to be the ticketing carrier for the second flight (because it is an award ticket).

It was my understanding that QR will through-check baggage on separate oneworld PNRs as long as MCT is met (which it is — they are selling this connection, and I imagine a number of people are making the same connection (as the US Embassy is advertising the flight).

Calling the local QR office is good advice.
Old May 20, 20, 5:13 pm

It is very simple: I presume JNB DOH is ticketed on 157- (QR) stock and DOH ORD is ticketed on 001- (AA) stock. If so, these are two separate tickets and not a single contract of carriage. The fact that QR happens to operate the second flight is of no relevance.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old May 20, 20, 6:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Indeed as MichaelA380 mentioned, it's on your own risk.
If you would like to feel safe, change the date of your DOH-ORD flight and allow 1-2 nights in the airport hotel in Doha.

Otherwise, if you miss your connection, QR has no obligation to rebook you, and the no-show rules would apply for your DOH-ORD flight.
Old May 20, 20, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by MichaelA380 View Post
I also see a different issue here - as you have a one-way JNB DOH ticket and Qatar is currently closed for non-nationals / non-residents, it is quite possible you will not be allowed to fly at all (especially if you have luggage to check in, as there is no guarantee that QR will be able to check it through to ORD, so that you can claim that you will remain in transit).
That was my first thought - refused boarding in JNB as they consider you Doha bound. Anyone can mock up a ticket printout to show for another leg, but whether it's accepted is another matter. Even if check-in can "see" your booking to ORD on their system, they may not be able or allowed to check through luggage or issue boarding passes or any other number of things which end up in not travelling.
Old May 20, 20, 9:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Also, I assume that the OP is not booked on a repatriation flight, he is repatriating himself on a scheduled flight.
And, yes, also with the separate ticket thing, he has a risk to get denied boarding at JNB as they might not accept a separate booking.
The OP does not fulfill the entry requirements of his arrival point for his first ticket.

I also assume that the OP would have thought to save money by purchasing two separate tickets but this might end up more expensively if QR denies boarding him at JNB.
Old May 21, 20, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. Sounds like the consensus is it’s a bad idea.

On the baggage — does the through check-in policy published here under “benefits” not apply? Says they will offer through check-in of passengers and their baggge, even when on separate tickets
https://www.qatarairways.com/en/abou.../oneworld.html

At any rate, I will speak with QR locally before pursuing this.
Old May 21, 20, 2:19 am

Baggage check-through on separate PNRs is something that all three alliances advertise - in my personal travel experience (admittedly, not extensive, only a few dozens of trips per year), I have been refused that "benefit" by all three (i.e. "I am sorry sir, your onward travel is not on the same ticket, our system does not allow it" ...). There are many examples I can give you, among which refusals by LHG to interline (I think this is the proper term) luggage from OS to LH or even more shockingly by BA between two BA tickets for two BA operated flights ... I have read accounts by more experienced travellers that pulling this out depends on the resourcefulness of the check-in agent - which is absurd given that this is sold as a "benefit" ... In the interest of fairness though - I have never had to do this with QR, before SARS-CoV-2 I used to fly them frequently but always on "proper" round-trip tickets.
Old May 21, 20, 3:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ericd102 View Post
Thanks all. Sounds like the consensus is it’s a bad idea.

On the baggage — does the through check-in policy published here under “benefits” not apply? Says they will offer through check-in of passengers and their baggge, even when on separate tickets
https://www.qatarairways.com/en/abou.../oneworld.html

At any rate, I will speak with QR locally before pursuing this.
If your QR flight from JNB to DOH is a scheduled flight (rather than a government charter or whatever) then you should be able to check the bag through. I suggest you print the above page to take with you or have it handy on a tablet or whatever.

Originally Posted by MichaelA380 View Post
Baggage check-through on separate PNRs is something that all three alliances advertise - in my personal travel experience (admittedly, not extensive, only a few dozens of trips per year), I have been refused that "benefit" by all three (i.e. "I am sorry sir, your onward travel is not on the same ticket, our system does not allow it" ...). There are many examples I can give you, among which refusals by LHG to interline (I think this is the proper term) luggage from OS to LH or even more shockingly by BA between two BA tickets for two BA operated flights ... I have read accounts by more experienced travellers that pulling this out depends on the resourcefulness of the check-in agent - which is absurd given that this is sold as a "benefit" ... In the interest of fairness though - I have never had to do this with QR, before SARS-CoV-2 I used to fly them frequently but always on "proper" round-trip tickets.
QR have a policy to check through on separate tickets QR>QR and QR>OW. Of course it is simple to say that, QR can be awfully inconsistent. But in theory they have a world leading baggage policy.
Old May 21, 20, 7:00 am

Programs: Enough
A delay on the first ticket, being an international ticket, is subject to the Montreal Convention. Should your first flight delay cause you to miss the second ticket, you are protected for resulting losses, including but not limited to the purchase of a new ticket as needed. If the delay is caused by something outside the carrier's control, then Article 19 would not apply, or in any situation where the carrier "proves that it and its servants and agents took all measures that could reasonably be required to avoid the damage or that it was impossible for it or them to take such measures."
Old May 21, 20, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by durberville View Post
A delay on the first ticket, being an international ticket, is subject to the Montreal Convention. Should your first flight delay cause you to miss the second ticket, you are protected for resulting losses, including but not limited to the purchase of a new ticket as needed. If the delay is caused by something outside the carrier's control, then Article 19 would not apply, or in any situation where the carrier "proves that it and its servants and agents took all measures that could reasonably be required to avoid the damage or that it was impossible for it or them to take such measures."
The OP has two separate tickets ( contract of carriages ), the airline has no responsibility on the second ( DOH-ORD ) ticket if there are some irregularities in the first ( JNB-DOH ) leg.
Old May 21, 20, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by durberville View Post
You could have read the posts in the thread first before trying to deliver wisdom by citing vague convention texts ...
ISTFlyer and DiamondMile like this.
Old May 22, 20, 3:09 am
Original Poster

For those interested: I wrote to QR Support on Twitter citing the two PNRs and asking them to confirm (a) that I meet their requirements for transiting Doha despite being on separate tickets and (b) that I would be reaccomodated by them in case of a missed connection.

They confirmed “there is no issue” and I am “confirmed and good to go”, so I now have that in writing from QR. If I end up traveling, I will carry that message with me, along with a copy of the official through check-in policy.
Old May 22, 20, 3:58 am

Probably, the QR Support Twitter team misunderstood your situation, you are never protected on two separate tickets unless you have travel insurance that covers so.
You would probably be admitted onboard at JNB if you show a copy of your onward ORD ticket and most likely a supervisor would able to thru-check your bags to Chicago, however, in case of a delay/reschedule, etc... which would lead you to miss your ORD flight, you are not protected at all.

However, the written statement could help you that you were misinformed by them.

And, please do not forget to report back your experiences after you travel.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: