FAs to Wear Hazmat Suits

Old May 19, 20, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Platinum, AS MVP75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire
FAs to Wear Hazmat Suits

Is this for real or a publicity stunt? https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnn...ion/index.html
Old May 19, 20, 1:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Mileage Plus Silver Elite, United Club, HyattGold, Enterprise Silver
Originally Posted by NWplatinum View Post
Is this for real or a publicity stunt? https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnn...ion/index.html
both
Old May 19, 20, 1:26 pm

​​​​I would be discouraged from flying if those were worn .
NWplatinum and mr_botak like this.
Old May 19, 20, 1:44 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Well, when taking a step back and looking at what flying long haul really is:
- Random mixing with hundreds of other random people in a small tube for hours.
- Random mixing with thousands of other random people from all over the globe at the hub.
- Random mixing with another few hundreds on the flight from the hub to the destination.
- Random mixing with another few thousand at the destination airport.

If it hadn't been for dousing one self with wine and other calming drinks for the duration, and the promise of a nice hotel and beach at the far end, if we had given this description of possible transmission of germs in a way that excluded the destination, excluded business class and good drink... would you do it?

Conversely, the risk manager in me:
- If an employer in a business known for saving pennies is willingly kitting their employes like this, would you feel safe spending hours in the environment they are attempting to protect themselves from?

As always, somewhat in jest, but possibly not fully,
-A
Old May 19, 20, 3:33 pm

Programs: AC MM E50, FlyingBlue Silver
I am honestly trying to understand the logic behind this. In a hospital this kind of PPE's are worn when going into areas where there are infected patients but the PPE's are taken off each time they leave the area and enter a 'non-infected' zone. A new PPE is put on when re-entering.

Here the FA's are wearing PPE's the entire time, collecting the virus on the PPE throughout a possible 10 hour flight or longer and carrying it around just like they would with regular clothing unless the PPE is somehow made of a material that kills the virus.

I would love to hear and understand the rationale behind this decision and will be happy to accept it if in fact protects FA's and is also of advantage for passengers.
witthuus and monkeyseedofly like this.
Old May 19, 20, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
It can get a mite warm inside those suits. I wonder if they will keep the cabins cold so the FAs are not dripping sweat.
Old May 19, 20, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Has there been an outbreak of airborne Ebola that I somehow missed?

Seriously though that seems... very excessive. I also wonder about the potential hazards of wearing these in case of an emergency.
SSF556 and pfreet like this.
Old May 19, 20, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by ph-ndr View Post
Well, when taking a step back and looking at what flying long haul really is:
- Random mixing with hundreds of other random people in a small tube for hours.
- Random mixing with thousands of other random people from all over the globe at the hub.
- Random mixing with another few hundreds on the flight from the hub to the destination.
- Random mixing with another few thousand at the destination airport.

If it hadn't been for dousing one self with wine and other calming drinks for the duration, and the promise of a nice hotel and beach at the far end, if we had given this description of possible transmission of germs in a way that excluded the destination, excluded business class and good drink... would you do it?

Have you never used a subway / underground train? Like millions of people use every day in every major city in the world. With no booze and no beach at the far end. Yes people do it, and will continue to do it once we get past this craziness.
Old May 19, 20, 7:46 pm
NoY

Programs: BA Gold/Emerald, TP *A Gold, EY Gold, QR Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Wyndham Diamond, SQ, EK
It's this kind of hysteria (from QR) that is feeding people's fear & compounding a global economic & social meltdown
Old May 19, 20, 8:41 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, IHG Spire
I hope this was the deal made with the Government of Qatar to re-open the country.
Let's get back to the new normal.
Old May 20, 20, 12:07 am

Doha based crew (with 30k active cases) are working with passengers flying from out of Australia with 600 active cases.... I think they may as well be protecting the passengers, not the other way around.
Old May 20, 20, 12:21 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club (Gold), Aegean M+B (Gold)
Despite being a QR loyalist: I'm not going anywhere as long as this madness continues - sorry QR, BR, and many other airlines.

Better safe than sorry, I get it - airlines protect their employees and pax.
BUT (from my POV): There is no point in paying premium to get restricted experience

I'm wondering what the onboard dinning service looks like during these times (...)
mr_botak likes this.
Old May 20, 20, 1:21 am

As others have said this just feeds the paranoia (and actually probably achieves little) which locks us in a vicious circle.

We should be educating on, facilitating (and perhaps in some situations enforcing) regular good quality handwashing.

Anyway there's nowhere to go that's going to be any fun.
The_Bouncer and RCAQ01 like this.
Old May 20, 20, 1:35 am
R2

Up until I saw this I thought QR was the smart airline among the main carriers...keeping up proper Premium experience in J while taking sensible precautions and communicating them nicely on their website. This hazmat suit announcement I thought was a late April fools prank. Someone made a good comment about it in another webforum:

'No one is going to want to go flying anywhere if the crew look like they are there to do autopsies rather than cabin service.'
Aston100, mr_botak, NoY and 4 others like this.
Old May 20, 20, 2:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium
....fair to say, we all will miss the good old days of flying for a long time.....
The_Bouncer and RCAQ01 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: