Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Downgrade full fare fully flex J to economy, one leg of two leg journey

Old May 15, 20, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA

Hi Privilege Club experts,

I have been refused boarding on an oversold QR flight, and then rebooked onto a subsequent flight. On this subsequent flight I now have a downgrade from fully flex J into an economy seat on my first leg to Doha. Rather annoyingly this is the overnight leg. It's back in Business class beyond that so I hope to be able to sleep on the second, daytime leg. I am glad to have my economy class middle-block seat at all, as there have been many cancellations. However, I paid for business class (and fully flex at that), so I would like to receive some recompense both for initial denied boarding and multi-day delay, and for the one-leg downgrade.

Please can someone let me know what I should be asking for from QR, and how best to efficiently ask for it so that they can process it neatly and I don't have to telephone Doha for hours or have a long correspondence. I don't mind whether I receive money back, or an upgrade or credit for the future, since I expect to travel on QR again in due course. I don't particularly resent the situation as I appreciate things are a bit weird at the moment and so I don't wish to complain to the airline, just to put us back in a mutually fair position.

I had a search in this forum for downgrades from J to Y, but all I could glean from the threads is that they don't ever happen on QR. So it is a puzzle what to ask for. Any advice or experiences gratefully received.

Thanks for your help!
Old May 15, 20, 9:37 pm

Your route would help as legislation may come into play and differs from country to country.
Old May 15, 20, 11:24 pm
R2

I'm also curious which route is in such high demand these days; business class fully booked for two consecutive flights. Obviously someone might have have bought out the entire cabin for a private group and / or as an additional safety measure.
Old May 16, 20, 1:48 am

Slightly offtopic for the OP, but my SYD-DOH flight tomorrow (QR909, 17MAY) is now showing not a single economy seat available on the seatmap. I'm actually curious if the flight is really that full or are there some restrictions in OLCI. From EF I can see most seats occupied, the middle seat next to me shows as blocked even though I'm only Burgundy tier with QR.
I also wasn't able to print my boarding pass, I guess they need to verify something at the check-in desk....
Old May 16, 20, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
Your route would help as legislation may come into play and differs from country to country.
Trip is JNB-DOH-LHR and it is the first leg with the downgrade. So no EU rules apply, is my understanding.
Old May 16, 20, 4:50 am

Programs: MH Platinum/ OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Thomathy View Post
Trip is JNB-DOH-LHR and it is the first leg with the downgrade. So no EU rules apply, is my understanding.
Correct, EU rules don't apply. What was the reason provided to you for being denied to board?

I understand the cabin was full, but when this happens they should offer you an alternative. This obviously is not acceptable to in Y.
Old May 16, 20, 6:12 am
Original Poster

I was not given any reason. I understand it was an administrative error of some sort, as I appeared on one passenger list, but not another. But, I also understand that the flight was full i.e. zero physical seats available, so at that point was academic.
Old May 16, 20, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
I think that flights from JNB are primarily "repatriation" flights. QR has cancelled most of their JNB flights. QR1368 seems to have operated twice a week at most and are very full.
Did you buy your ticket on QR website? which flight exactly?
Old May 16, 20, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Yes, this flight requires repatriation paperwork and approval from various parties and are currently the only flights out. They are very limited. That is why they are all full. They are odd flights as they are the Ďreturní segment of the inbound SA government repatriation charters.

They are operated as a normal full service, but with embassy approvals required. The ticket was indeed purchased via the QR website as this is the process for these flights. You also have to obtain the embassy approval to travel and canít just rock up without it.

My issue however is an airline one, not an embassy one. The flight is today. Itís heavily oversold so as remarked before, pleased to have any seat at all. The circumstances are extremely unusual so I donít hold QR responsible for any failing. Just wishing not to pay the extra for business class, as not travelling in business class. Or, if it canít be refunded, be credited for the future.
Old May 16, 20, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that you are due a refund of the fare difference. That may not be much, but it is due to you as a refund.

I would not do anything until this trip is completed as the last thing you want to have happen is for the ticket to get loused up.

When you get to the counter, ask whether by chance a seat has opened in J and then ask again at the gate. If there is no seat, just fly the assigned seat and deal with it after arrival.

Hopefully this will not happen again, but when problems arise, it is best not to wait to be given a reason. Rather, one makes polite but firm inquiries. Sometimes one gets accommodated.
Old May 17, 20, 4:39 am
Original Poster

That sounds pretty straightforward. As it happens, on this flight the difference at time of booking was a significant one (though possibly less than the usual differential, with both cabins being priced high.) I think advice about not messing with any ticket until the journey is completed sounds very wise, and have followed it. Almost finished last leg now, and very pleased to be arriving in Britain shortly. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: