Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Laid off QR pilot owes airline 591k QAR for training?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laid off QR pilot owes airline 591k QAR for training?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2020, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Laid off QR pilot owes airline 591k QAR for training, likely for not completing it

EDIT: Apparently there is more to this story, namely the employee in question may not have completed a 2 year training in over 6 years since beginning it.

Saw on instagram that apparently a pilot at QR was laid off this week, which is understandable. The company is asking her to repay almost 600k QAR ($162k USD) in training costs. That seems absolutely bonkers to me.

Is there something I'm missing, or is that a standard practice in that region, even if the person leaves the company through no fault of their own?

Last edited by lowfareair; May 11, 2020 at 8:12 am
Old May 9, 2020, 6:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
How do we know she didn't get herself fired, and the repayment is a consequence of that? The first sentence could read either way.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
She's apparently been training/working for Qatar since October 31, 2013. Much or all of the training cost should have been worked off during the last six and a half years.

IIRC LH has a pilot training program. I wonder how their terms compare.
Old May 9, 2020, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
She's apparently been training/working for Qatar since October 31, 2013. Much or all of the training cost should have been worked off during the last six and a half years.

IIRC LH has a pilot training program. I wonder how their terms compare.
Pretty sure if the company decided to fire you (without fault of your own) then any training costs are written off. For LH.

I don't know about the contracts QR lets their staff sign, but this sounds pretty much lunatic to me.
Old May 9, 2020, 11:01 pm

Company reserves the right to invoke disciplinary measures.....

but you just fired this person
Old May 9, 2020, 11:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by global happy traveller
Company reserves the right to invoke disciplinary measures ... but you just fired this person
That's why I think it was for cause; she may have had to sign an NDA or such and could be subject to further penalties or even civil suits.
Old May 10, 2020, 12:16 am

The question is, judging my the names of the recipient and sender, why is the letter not in Arabic in the first place?
Old May 10, 2020, 12:24 am

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by Ben_W
The question is, judging my the names of the recipient and sender, why is the letter not in Arabic in the first place?
Aren't many many of the ME3 on-board crew (pilots and FAs) not from the Arab countries? I suppose English is the lingua franca that the ME3 uses for employment agreements, policies, announcements, you're fired letters, etc.
Old May 10, 2020, 12:57 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
There is much more to this story than that single letter, but I am not allowed to share the other info I've been relayed.

It's poor PR for QR, but I dare say there will be repercussions for the employee.

In terms of the Training Debt, it is quite normal for Flight Crew to carry that debt with them to different airlines - it gets paid off over time, and if an airline needs flight crew they will usually offer to pay any existing training debt (EK and many China based airlines operate like this).

M
mr_botak likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 2:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
590k QAR equals to 130k GBP and one of my friends went through LH training school coming out with 150k EUR debt.

So practically the lady needs to repay the whole debt she has despite flying for QR for 7 years?

I think there is much more behind the story and I think it would be far too simple to only point to local employment standards many in this forum consider as overly bad (I lived there for 2 years and it was a great experience).
Old May 10, 2020, 2:11 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Plat
according to some Instagram posters (so only rumors)
"they asked to recoup money was that she got married not long after finishing training and they her husband refused to allow her to fly and the airline had no choice but to terminate. Allegedly not covid related. I can’t say for sure this version is correct but it came from someone out there."
another one:
"It seems that the lady,never started her line training...she got married,husband didn’t want her to fly anymore,she asked for office job,they declined,she never resumed any duty,and never flew on the line,end of the story"
Old May 10, 2020, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
Aren't many many of the ME3 on-board crew (pilots and FAs) not from the Arab countries? I suppose English is the lingua franca that the ME3 uses for employment agreements, policies, announcements, you're fired letters, etc.
True but I know Qatar encourages letters to be sent in Arabic. For example, if we send a letter that is being signed by our Qatari MD to another Qatari company, the letter must be sent in Arabic. I imagine even a termination letter being sent from a Qatari company to an employee who's first language is Arabic would also be sent in Arabic.
Old May 10, 2020, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
There is much more to this story than that single letter, but I am not allowed to share the other info I've been relayed.

It's poor PR for QR, but I dare say there will be repercussions for the employee.

In terms of the Training Debt, it is quite normal for Flight Crew to carry that debt with them to different airlines - it gets paid off over time, and if an airline needs flight crew they will usually offer to pay any existing training debt (EK and many China based airlines operate like this).

M
I was under the impression that you cannot carry debt with you out of Qatar. If you work in Qatar and loose your job and have an outstanding bank loan for example, you cannot legally leave the country until that loan is cleared.
Old May 10, 2020, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ben_W
I was under the impression that you cannot carry debt with you out of Qatar. If you work in Qatar and loose your job and have an outstanding bank loan for example, you cannot legally leave the country until that loan is cleared.
Wow, that sucks. Sounds like a cool country
Old May 10, 2020, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
How do we know she didn't get herself fired, and the repayment is a consequence of that?
I can pretty much say this was not the case.

If you pay a closer attention to the notice, you should be able to see that she would be paid for 7 additional days from the day of notice. While I am not familiar with Qatari law, AFAICT, if she was summarily dismissed for cause, she wouldn't get that 7-day pay.

That 7-day pay makes a factual difference in term of termination reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.