Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar cancelled my flight - do they have to rearrange?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar cancelled my flight - do they have to rearrange?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2020, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Do not settle for a voucher. Flights cancelled means that you are entitled to a refund. Making 0% interest loans is a poor practice, especially here where you have no way of knowing what routes and frequencies will operate when you do want to fly again.
I thought that QR was giving a 110% voucher, or a 10% interest. Even higher interest rate if you fly again say six month later.
Old May 10, 2020, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by brunos
I thought that QR was giving a 110% voucher, or a 10% interest. Even higher interest rate if you fly again say six month later.
But, it's not. It's a voucher, not cash. Somewhere in the 25-30% premium might make one think about this deal, presuming that one flies routes which will almost certainly survive.
Old May 11, 2020, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
But, it's not. It's a voucher, not cash. Somewhere in the 25-30% premium might make one think about this deal, presuming that one flies routes which will almost certainly survive.
In your post, you referred to the voucher as a "0% interest loan". I was merely pointing out that the 10% bonus makes it an interest bearing loan, as opposed to the deal on some other airline.
But I agree with you that a nonrefundable voucher, even with a 10% bonus, might not be attractive unless you are assured to wish to fly QR in the future to a destination they will serve. Even though I fly QR a lot each year, I would choose cash refund.
Old May 13, 2020, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by witthuus
Hijacking this thread to find an answer to my problem

Flights to my final destination KBP from PHL are also cancelled. Does anybody know if they would be willing to fly me to ORD or DFW on AA to catch the DOH flight and then change the final destination to any other airport in Europe ( preferably FRA or MUC ) ? Or would I need to cancel and book a completely new reservation ? Would hate that as I got a deal on the PHL-KBP flight in Q Suite
Thank you
called them today and agent was not willing to change the final destination. Told her that the website says free change of destination. Still not willing to change. Asked for supervisor and she changed with no issues to ORD-DOH-FRA.
Old May 14, 2020, 12:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
called them today and agent was not willing to change the final destination. Told her that the website says free change of destination. Still not willing to change. Asked for supervisor and she changed with no issues to ORD-DOH-FRA.
Good result. I can't remember if this has come up at all, but are you eligible to enter Germany (ie are you a German national or resident)? If not, you won't be admitted to Germany until at least 15 June, and will then likely face quarantine (things are a bit in flux at the moment).
Old May 14, 2020, 4:24 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Good result. I can't remember if this has come up at all, but are you eligible to enter Germany (ie are you a German national or resident)? If not, you won't be admitted to Germany until at least 15 June, and will then likely face quarantine (things are a bit in flux at the moment).
yes, I have dual citizenship and can enter. My flight arrives FRA on June 16th, so I should be fine without quarantine. I am now worried that Qatar will be closed and I have to spend overnight in the lounge which I would hate.
Old May 14, 2020, 6:53 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
yes, I have dual citizenship and can enter. My flight arrives FRA on June 16th, so I should be fine without quarantine. I am now worried that Qatar will be closed and I have to spend overnight in the lounge which I would hate.
you can book a room at the transit hotel
Old May 19, 2020, 12:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by applebum32
They have refused to pay my costs to Cardiff.
So, what happened?
Old May 19, 2020, 6:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I will sue them.
Old May 19, 2020, 6:36 am
Suspended

I will sue them.
I mean how did you get back to Cardiff? And on what basis will you sue them?
Often1 likes this.
Old May 19, 2020, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The details of how the lawsuit got OP back to Cardiff would be helpful for the broader audience.
Old May 19, 2020, 7:54 pm

I will sue them.
You previously stated they offered to pay for a train ticket to Cardiff. Turning that down won't do much for your case.
Old May 19, 2020, 8:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

It is bad enough having to risk a flight - I am not spending five hours on tube and train to get home, not in London and not with this virus.

They can pay for my taxi or deal with it in the small claims.
Old May 19, 2020, 8:33 pm

You having just spent ~15 hours on planes won't do much for that argument either.
Old May 19, 2020, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
It is bad enough having to risk a flight - I am not spending five hours on tube and train to get home, not in London and not with this virus.

They can pay for my taxi or deal with it in the small claims.
I'm sorry to tell you that airlines are not obliged to pay for private transportation when there is a publicly available method ( in your case train ). Some airlines do for goodwill purposes.
Here, in your situation, Qatar Airways have offered to pay for your train costs to Cardiff and you simply rejected for personal reasons ( fear of COVID ) which is acceptable. However, this does not mean that you could take a taxi and ask QR to pay for it.

Plus, you have accepted to be transported to London rather than Cardiff, QR did not force you to travel to Heathrow; you could have simply rejected traveling to Heathrow and ask for an alternative travel route. Possibly a supervisor or a local QR office could have rerouted you BKK-DOH-AMS on their own aircraft and AMS-CWF on KLM if you have requested it. Regular phone agents do not have the power to rebook you on other airlines.
By the way, it's obvious that they wouldn't rebook you LHR-AMS-CWF separately after you agreed on travelling to Heathrow rather than Cardiff.

I am not writing this post to say that you have done something wrong and it's your fault; I am writing this because you would get nothing from the small claims court if you sue them as you personally agreed to be transported to London yourself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.