Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19: Your Options to Refund/Rebook/Cancel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19: Your Options to Refund/Rebook/Cancel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by diamantaire
Under their conditions of carriage article 11 they are obliged to refund if they cancel the scheduled flight.
Point this out to the telephone agent, or else if you paid using credit card.
You could also request a charge back.
Thanks. That appears to be a strong argument.

I just made sure to get a PDF copy.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by goingplacestogether
Qatar Airways has amended its ‘Travel with Confidence’ and flight disruption policies to give customers even more flexibility. Customers who choose to receive a travel voucher for future use will receive the full unutilized value of their ticket plus an additional 10% of the fare cost as an added value offer. Customers also have the option for a refund back to the form of payment they used when purchasing their tickets - the administration of this refund will take up to 30 days to process. Vouchers for future travel continue to be the most expedient way of helping customers while we manage the backlog.

We hugely appreciate the understanding and patience of our customers during a time of unprecedented call volumes and call centre closures due to government restrictions around the world
Thanks, that is much appreciated. Could you please clarify how the voucher can be used? For example, if I hold a voucher for GBP 2,300, can I use it for a flight selling for GBP 1,700 and retain a voucher value of GBP 600 towards further flights? What would be the validity of the voucher over the remaining amount?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by flashware
I raised a support case with QR (you can login to their system once done, it gives a ref number etc.) and requested a refund. I set a timeline on that and quoted the EU regs as well as their CoC, stating that if I've had no confirmation or the request or response within 14 days then I'll initiate charge back. That way, it's all documented and you have a solid leg to stand on.
EC 261/2004 requires a refund in 7 days. I would file the chargeback on the 8th day. No reason to delay.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
EC 261/2004 requires a refund in 7 days. I would file the chargeback on the 8th day. No reason to delay.
Indeed, but I was in a somewhat kind and jovial mood at the time
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:42 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Qatar Airways has amended its ‘Travel with Confidence’ and flight disruption policies to give customers even more flexibility. Customers who choose to receive a travel voucher for future use will receive the full unutilized value of their ticket plus an additional 10% of the fare cost as an added value offer. Customers also have the option for a refund back to the form of payment they used when purchasing their tickets - the administration of this refund will take up to 30 days to process. Vouchers for future travel continue to be the most expedient way of helping customers while we manage the backlog.

We hugely appreciate the understanding and patience of our customers during a time of unprecedented call volumes and call centre closures due to government restrictions around the world
Hi. Thank you for sharing the news. Have travel agencies been advised of this new policy? I just got off the phone with Amex Travel, and they still insist that it's a voucher for future travel only as the policy has not been revised.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:54 am
Company Representative, Qatar Airways

Programs: QR Privilege Club
We appreciate this is a challenging time not just for us, but for all of our travellers. We wanted to immediately share our news with you, our loyal members and customers, regarding our latest developments, even as they’re still getting worked out..

Please be assured that more details are to come within 24 hours, as our teams work hard to get the full updated policy and processes live on our website and in our other channels.

We are learning and moving quickly in this mission to get the world home.
beepee, sxc, Andriyko and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:04 am

We appreciate this is a challenging time not just for us, but for all of our travellers. We wanted to immediately share our news with you, our loyal members and customers, regarding our latest developments, even as they’re still getting worked out..

Please be assured that more details are to come within 24 hours, as our teams work hard to get the full updated policy and processes live on our website and in our other channels.

We are learning and moving quickly in this mission to get the world home.

Can i change flight dates irrespective of new flight price or am i only allowed value i paid against future flight price?

I cannot go now due to change in Japan Visa requirement, my flights bought on QR.com say Unconfirmed anyway, so id like to postpone to later in year rather than request refund.
Terms and website are not clear and i understand its impossible to get agent response.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:47 am

Programs: AC,CX,KE,EK / IHG Spire, 1865 Gateway

Will this mean a refund in full but based on the original term of the ticket issued?
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:12 am

Qatar Airways emailed me a voucher after few days of radio silence. Are you even paying attention to the customers' requests? Can I reject the voucher and get a full cash refund? Also, where can I find the amended 'Travel with Confidence' policies? Link to webpage?
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The communication is slowly updating:

Qatar Airways - QR (157). Updating the airline's returns and exchanges policy in connection with COVID-19. Instructions 1059 V.1.3 and Travel with Confidence, 1052 V.1.3.

March 25, 2020Pay attention to important updates in the related instructions: changes in tickets due to the coronavirus.

Instruction 1059 V.1.3 is valid for passengers whose flight was not possible for the following reasons:
  • Canceled flights - UN segments / Airport closure
  • Travel BAN / RESTRICTIONS
  • Canceled flights due to reduction of frequency.
All rebookings that do not fall under the above scenarios,
performed in accordance with Travel with Confidence, 1052 V.1.3 .

Conditions of instruction 1059 V.1.3:

• Date of issue of the original ticket: until June 30, 2020
  • Departure dates for the original ticket: until June 30, 2020
  • Departure date for a new ticket: within 1 year from the date of issuance of the original ticket
  • Reservation conditions: only QR operated flights, only on the route of the original ticket, at the minimum available in the RBD reservation system.
  • RE-ROUTING: allowed only to / from departure points in the same country or in another country, but at a distance of no more than 500 miles from the starting point. All ext. expenses, including domestic flights are made at the expense of the passenger.
  • Reservation conditions with OAL: only possible in combination of QR operated flights and OAL operated flights. If you need to use this option, please contact Qatar Airways.
  • Number of renewals: unlimited.
  • Group bookings: all the terms and conditions described above are retained.

Other conditions:

A new ticket must be issued for departure dates within 1 year from the date of issue of the original ticket in accordance with the following instructions:
  • The new segments OUTBOUND (departure there) and INBOUND (departure back) - until June 30, 2020: no difference in tariffs, taxes and fees, as well as a fine for re-issuance, will be charged.
  • Segment OUTBOUND until June 30, INBOUND after July 01 : the difference in tariffs, taxes and fees, as well as a fine for renewal is not charged.
  • OUTBOUND and INBOUND after July 01: no penalty for reissuing a ticket. All other surcharges for tariff, taxes, fuel surcharge, weekend departure fees, etc. - charged.
  • When re- issuing tickets at Endorsement, indicate: INVOL DUE TO CORONAVIRUS COMM REF 1059V1.3 .
  • Put indicator I at the beginning of the calculation line
  • In the case where there is a change in the schedule, replace with SKCHG and S, respectively.
  • RETURN RULES: Forced returns are not allowed, only in accordance with the tariff rules. It is allowed to reissue the full price of the ticket to EMD TRNS “ Good for Further Transportation ”, valid for 1 year from the date of its issuance. Endorsement needs to make a remark ' NON REFUNDABLE ”.
  • APPLY ORIGINAL ROUTING: for passengers who have already reissued their tickets for EMD, but who wish to reissue them back to a ticket on the original route and for original dates / flights until June 30, 2020, special conditions apply. Please contact Qatar Airways.

TRAVEL INSTRUCTION WITH CONFIDENCE, 1052 V.1.3

All rebookings that do not fall under the following scenarios,
  • Canceled flights - UN segments / Airport closure
  • Travel ban / Restrictions
  • Canceled flights due to reduction of frequency
those. all cases when your customers wish to change or postpone their trips voluntarily are carried out in accordance with Travel with Confidence, 1052 V.1.3.

Conditions of instruction 1052 V.1.3:

• Date of issue of the original ticket: until September 27, 2020
  • Departure dates for the original ticket: until September 30, 2020
  • Departure dates for the new ticket: any, within the validity period of the original ticket.
  • Changes in the framework of this instruction are allowed no later than 3 days before departure on the original ticket.
  • Conditions of rebooking: any QR and OAL flights, on the QR form (157) and at the rates of QR.
    A penalty for reissuance is not charged. The difference in tariffs will be charged.
  • Group bookings: for group rates this instruction does not apply. For group bookings, please contact the Qatar Airways office.
  • When re- issuing tickets to Endorsement it is necessary to indicate: INVOL DUE TO COVID REF COMM 1052 V1.3.
  • At the beginning of the calculation line, put the indicator "I".
  • Return Policy: Forced returns are not permitted, only in accordance with the tariff rules.
  • It is allowed to reissue the full price of the ticket to EMD TRNS “Good for Further Transportation”, valid for 1 year from the date of its issuance. Endorsement needs to be updated to INVOL DUE TO COVID REF COMM 1052 V1.3 .
  • No-Show: changes are allowed no later than 3 days before departure on the original ticket. No-show fines are charged according to the fare rules.
Sadly both policies don't allow refunds.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:23 am

Thanks a lot for the info.
My question is where did goingplacestogether (who claims to be a company representative for Qatar Airways) get his information from? Is Qatar Airways not under any obligation to let its customers know about any amendments in its policies? They can just change their refund policies as and when they please? Someone has to hold their feet to the fire. I am going to request my bank to issue a chargeback on my debit card (I am not sure what my chances are but I am willing to take it).
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It seems that most airlines are moving to a refund "voucher". Would be surprising if QR was keeping cash refund.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:42 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The communication is slowly updating:

Sadly both policies don't allow refunds.
Why would a new policy not include refunds that they have announced via media statement?
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:43 am

Can you please point me to the media statement? I am going to call Qatar Airways and demand my full refund.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by A_T_G_C
Can you please point me to the media statement? I am going to call Qatar Airways and demand my full refund.
Simply do as I've done, if it meets the criteria i.e. they cancelled flights on you, and you're departing ex-EU, lodge a case online, advise you would like refund and not a voucher and as per the EU261/2004 regulations you would like a refund within 7 days. State that if you've not received confirmation of that, then charge back will be initiated. Simples.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.