Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19: Your Options to Refund/Rebook/Cancel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19: Your Options to Refund/Rebook/Cancel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gav0106
I was thinking the same about cash refund. However I guess this is classed as exceptional circumstances, so they dont need to refund, just give voucher?

Update from CAA

https://www.flightglobal.com/airline...137175.article
Exceptional circumstances only counts for compensation. Article 8 rights to a refund for cancellation are absolute and both the CAA and EU have clarified this in the last week. QR are continuing to ignore this guidance, I’m presuming on the assumption that most people won’t know any better and that enforcement action will be slow and won’t be meaningful.
beepee and gav0106 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
thanks alex_b, that is helpful. I will see what they come back with in my case
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:19 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
what currency does the voucher come in? I assume the same as the currency you paid in.

Can I use a voucher in Norwegian Krone to pay for a flight in Euros?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:47 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Still no news about my refund, but I thought about something else last night... I typically use my Amex Platinum to book all my flights, irrespective of the airline. One of the reasons is that the insurances included in my card (medical insurance, but also cancellation insurance if you get sick before departure etc...) trigger only when the trip is paid with the card. This saves pretty much the need of purchasing everytime an extra and expensive travel insurance. Now, I am still hoping to receive a cash refund following the cancellation of my trips, but if I receive vouchers (and I will receive some from other airlines I am flying with too) and use them for some future trips, I will have to take a separate - and costly - travel insurance as I will not pay for those future trips with my Amex platinum. Just to get a similar (but not even as good) coverage for 4 than my Amex platinum for a trip to Japan, we are talking at least 400 Euros on top. Those very good insurances justify partly the steep credit card membership fees I pay. Something to think about...
bryanoneil likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:38 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I just talked to AmEx (USA) and they refused to issue a refund for the canceled itinerary citing QR's policy. They actually shamed me for asking for a refund 'in these difficult times for airlines.' Since I have no use for the voucher they're offering, I am expected to give my money to the airline in exchange for a trip that can't take me on. I thought QR had bottomless pockets and was the world's best airline? At least European airlines are saying that they'd start processing refunds at some point.
I then talked to AmEx and the first agent flatly refused to initiate a chargeback saying that Amextravel is always right and that I had to accept their decision even if I can receive neither a refund nor the services that I paid for, while the 2nd agent did initiate a chargeback (although I am not sure how successful that would be). It is really a bizarre situation were passengers can't get their money back for cancelled trips.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 5:33 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I just talked to AmEx (USA) and they refused to issue a refund for the canceled itinerary citing QR's policy. They actually shamed me for asking for a refund 'in these difficult times for airlines.' Since I have no use for the voucher they're offering, I am expected to give my money to the airline in exchange for a trip that can't take me on. I thought QR had bottomless pockets and was the world's best airline? At least European airlines are saying that they'd start processing refunds at some point.
I then talked to AmEx and the first agent flatly refused to initiate a chargeback saying that Amextravel is always right and that I had to accept their decision even if I can receive neither a refund nor the services that I paid for, while the 2nd agent did initiate a chargeback (although I am not sure how successful that would be). It is really a bizarre situation were passengers can't get their money back for cancelled trips.
I am wondering if you can tell amex to pay your next credit card bill with a voucher that you would be issuing within the next 8 weeks... :-/ This is getting ridiculous...
justforfun and SW7London like this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by palmanfr
I am wondering if you can tell amex to pay your next credit card bill with a voucher that you would be issuing within the next 8 weeks... :-/ This is getting ridiculous...
Oh, they did remind me that I was required to pay the charge in full (which I already did).
I felt somewhat powerless, as, on the one hand, the travel agent refused to do the right thing and issue a refund following the cancelation of the trip by the airline, and, on the other, my credit card company refused to protect me against a charge for something that I am not going to receive. Apparently had I booked with a third party merchant they would have investigated, but AmEx travel is not a third party merchant and their actions can't be questioned.
The travel agent insisted that QR was doing me a favour by allowing to re-book or accept a voucher explaining how they instituted all these waivers (my words that I did not choose to do anything and that it was QR that canceled the flights fell on deaf ear).
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:10 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
It looks like Qatar is now on the record that they will provide cash refunds:

https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...voucher-offer/
Andriyko likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I just talked to AmEx (USA) and ......... I thought QR had bottomless pockets and was the world's best airline? ......
Do NOT believe everything you read.
Do NOT ASSUME.
No guarantees in life. Time to learn that.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:46 am
Company Representative, Qatar Airways

Programs: QR Privilege Club
Qatar Airways has amended its ‘Travel with Confidence’ and flight disruption policies to give customers even more flexibility. Customers who choose to receive a travel voucher for future use will receive the full unutilized value of their ticket plus an additional 10% of the fare cost as an added value offer. Customers also have the option for a refund back to the form of payment they used when purchasing their tickets - the administration of this refund will take up to 30 days to process. Vouchers for future travel continue to be the most expedient way of helping customers while we manage the backlog.

We hugely appreciate the understanding and patience of our customers during a time of unprecedented call volumes and call centre closures due to government restrictions around the world
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:49 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The statement is:

“Qatar Airways has amended its ‘Travel with Confidence’ and flight disruption policies to give customers even more flexibility. Customers who choose to receive a travel voucher for future use will receive the full unutilized value of their ticket plus an additional 10% of the fare cost as an added value offer. Customers also have the option for a refund back to the form of payment they used when purchasing their tickets – the administration of this refund will take up to 30 days to process. Vouchers for future travel continue to be the most expedient way of helping customers while we manage the backlog.

“We hugely appreciate the understanding and patience of our customers during a time of unprecedented call volumes and call centre closures due to government restrictions around the world.”

So people who want to defer under travel with confidence (1052) will get 10% extra and people cancelling due to schedule changes (1059) get their money back in 30 days? Would be great if true...
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
So people who want to defer under travel with confidence (1052) will get 10% extra and people cancelling due to schedule changes (1059) get their money back in 30 days? Would be great if true...
Their website has no mention of the amended policy.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by goingplacestogether
Qatar Airways has amended its ‘Travel with Confidence’ and flight disruption policies to give customers even more flexibility. Customers who choose to receive a travel voucher for future use will receive the full unutilized value of their ticket plus an additional 10% of the fare cost as an added value offer. Customers also have the option for a refund back to the form of payment they used when purchasing their tickets - the administration of this refund will take up to 30 days to process. Vouchers for future travel continue to be the most expedient way of helping customers while we manage the backlog.

We hugely appreciate the understanding and patience of our customers during a time of unprecedented call volumes and call centre closures due to government restrictions around the world
Thank you for this official communication. If true, this would be positive news. I hope your call centers and travel agents will be informed about this policy very soon. Best wishes
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
I submitted a voucher request 10 days ago and have heard nothing. My first flight has now been cancelled and I'd like a refund. What should I do? It seems very difficult to get in touch with Qatar at the moment. Wonder if I should submit a chargeback?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by braiden9
I submitted a voucher request 10 days ago and have heard nothing. My first flight has now been cancelled and I'd like a refund. What should I do? It seems very difficult to get in touch with Qatar at the moment. Wonder if I should submit a chargeback?
I raised a support case with QR (you can login to their system once done, it gives a ref number etc.) and requested a refund. I set a timeline on that and quoted the EU regs as well as their CoC, stating that if I've had no confirmation or the request or response within 14 days then I'll initiate charge back. That way, it's all documented and you have a solid leg to stand on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.