Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19: Your Options to Refund/Rebook/Cancel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19: Your Options to Refund/Rebook/Cancel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:55 pm

Programs: AC,CX,KE,EK / IHG Spire, 1865 Gateway
Originally Posted by energydj
Looking to change PER-DOH-DUB in a weeks time and firstly there are no flights to DUB so its all 2 stops but the prices to change the flights are €4000!

Can that be right?
Was gonna fly from HKG to DUB with only a stop in DOH, QR cancelled the DOH DUB flight on April 1 and moved me to DOH-LHR-DUB instead for free. Call them.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:09 am

Qatar Airways wouldn't issue a full refund?

I booked a round-trip from Boston to Hyderabad for March 30 and given the current situation, many flights in that route are getting cancelled. I am not interested in a travel voucher and would like to know if anyone is in the same boat and tried getting a full refund from Qatar Airways? I was on hold for almost an hour before I could get talk to a real person. I have been told about some boilerplate policies which are very difficult to locate even on their website. I spoke to a supervisor who basically repeated the same thing. I was wondering what my options are in this case? I am planning to file a complaint with the department of transportation as this is clearly not my problem that the airlines cancelled its flights. Any thoughts/insights/suggestions on this topic would be highly appreciated.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by sxc
So has anyone actually been able to get a refund instead of a travel credit?
Chargeback chargeback. Dont let QR bully you into eating their voucher and funding their operations during this difficult period. CoC and various regulations (USDOT, EU) mandate a refund if carrier initiates the cancellation.

My itinerary cost over the small claims limit here in California so rather than chargeback I may sue them to maximize by recovery (prejudgment interest) since I am an attorney and am really angry over this flagrant breach of the CoC. Will post when I have the LA County Sheriff seize an A350 when they start operating here again.

What is really disgusting about this QR cash grab that even Air Asia volunteered to refund me for my cancelled (that is, cancelled by Air Asia) $125 flight later this month.

Last edited by KosherKimchee; Mar 22, 2020 at 9:21 am
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:16 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
A_T_G_C welcome to FlyerTalk. As your question is specific to Qatar Airways, let me move this to that airline's forum for further discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Under their conditions of carriage article 11 they are obliged to refund if they cancel the scheduled flight.
Point this out to the telephone agent, or else if you paid using credit card.
You could also request a charge back.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by diamantaire
Under their conditions of carriage article 11 they are obliged to refund if they cancel the scheduled flight.
Point this out to the telephone agent, or else if you paid using credit card.
You could also request a charge back.
Thanks a lot for your reply diamantaire. Can I request a charge back if I used a debit card? I spoke with a supervisor and she told me that they would deduct $350 and refund the rest of the amount. I checked a while ago and the flights are still not confirmed yet. I am very confused.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by A_T_G_C
I booked a round-trip from Boston to Hyderabad for March 30 and given the current situation, many flights in that route are getting cancelled..
Thanks a lot for your reply diamantaire. Can I request a charge back if I used a debit card? I spoke with a supervisor and she told me that they would deduct $350 and refund the rest of the amount. I checked a while ago and the flights are still not confirmed yet. I am very confused.
Is your flight cancelled?
If it is still operating you may be[will be] stuck the ticket t&c's.
What do you mean by "still not confirmed yet"?

Airlines are bleeding cash, so doing everything to not refund in cash, but give out vouchers/credits. Even if a cash refund should be done.

With a debit card you cannot charge back, like you can with (most) credit cards
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Is your flight cancelled?
If it is still operating you may be[will be] stuck the ticket t&c's.
What do you mean by "still not confirmed yet"?

Airlines are bleeding cash, so doing every to not refund in cash, but give out vouchers/credits

Its not cancelled yet (mine's on the 30th of this month), but the same flight scheduled for the next few days has been cancelled. My guess is mine will be cancelled too. Do I wait till the 28th and call them back and request a complete refund?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its not cancelled yet (mine's on the 30th of this month), but the same flight scheduled for the next few days has been cancelled. My guess is mine will be cancelled too. Do I wait till the 28th and call them back and request a complete refund?
When/if it gets cancelled you should get a full refund.
No need to cancel until the last possible time as per ticket t&c's. But contacting airlines, even for on line cancellations, can be be problematic.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:38 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I had an open jaw IAD-DOH-SIN//MLE-DOH-IAD trip scheduled to leave 3/31. They now have canceled my DOH-IAD leg on the day I was traveling and moved me to the same flight a day later. I wasn't planning on taking the trip given the circumstances and have been hoping for a cancelation so I could get a full refund.

Now that my transit is greater than 24 hours (35) and they canceled a flight I requested a full refund via the webform they led me too from my booking - if they try to keep the refund fee they'll get one chance to change their mind then it's direct to chargeback. I feel bad for them, but I'm not allowed to enter Qatar and also they straight up canceled the flight.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:44 pm

Tried getting through on the phone a few times, no luck of course.

Ended up submitting the refund request via https://www.qatarairways.com/en/refund-request.html stating I did not want a voucher and wanted a full refund as per EC261/2004 Article 8 and QR's CoC 11.3.

I've given them a time limit by which to respond/process and have advised if it's not done by then I'll initiate a CC charge back. Simple.

This was for an OSL-BKK booking where 3 of the 4 flights were cancelled and rebooked onto alternates, resulting in an 8+ hour change in arrival time.
palmanfr likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Maybe not relevant to the guy you were replying to, but in some places (eg UK) both Visa and Mastercard have a chargeback system covering debit cards. Different conditions and rules from the legally binding credit card cover, but powerful nevertheless.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:23 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by flashware
Tried getting through on the phone a few times, no luck of course.

Ended up submitting the refund request via https://www.qatarairways.com/en/refund-request.html stating I did not want a voucher and wanted a full refund as per EC261/2004 Article 8 and QR's CoC 11.3.

I've given them a time limit by which to respond/process and have advised if it's not done by then I'll initiate a CC charge back. Simple.

This was for an OSL-BKK booking where 3 of the 4 flights were cancelled and rebooked onto alternates, resulting in an 8+ hour change in arrival time.
Can you let us know how it goes. I am in a similar situation, 3/5 flights simply cancelled ex-EU and was not rebooked on any other flights. I used a travel agent though (amex travel) so I am not sure I can contact QR directly.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Looking at the full instructions issued to TAs they are pushing thru on the 'no cash refund' policy...

They are definitely playing hardball with the TAs, who will probably not go against QR when dealing with refunds...
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Any idea how I check ticket and fare validity? If I can push my flight without a fare difference I might rethink...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.