Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19: Your Options to Refund/Rebook/Cancel

Covid-19: Your Options to Refund/Rebook/Cancel

Old Mar 26, 20, 12:13 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by plunet View Post
Not advised, or not going looking in the relevant places?
I have no way of knowing that. All I am told is that Qatar does not allow refunds according to the policy that was provided by the airline.
Old Mar 26, 20, 12:50 pm

Programs: No Alliance - Best Fare Only
Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
I have no way of knowing that. All I am told is that Qatar does not allow refunds according to the policy that was provided by the airline.
I booked AMS-DOH-DPS with UK American Express. Return flight was cancelled and re-booked onto a later flight that would have landed 24hrs later. For a few days they were refusing a refund citing Qatar policy but said they would take up my case with Qatar. Received an email this afternoon to confirm that Qatar have changed their policy and that they will now process the refund. Good luck!
Old Mar 26, 20, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Coffeeonaplane View Post
I booked AMS-DOH-DPS with UK American Express. Return flight was cancelled and re-booked onto a later flight that would have landed 24hrs later. For a few days they were refusing a refund citing Qatar policy but said they would take up my case with Qatar. Received an email this afternoon to confirm that Qatar have changed their policy and that they will now process the refund. Good luck!
Thank you. I am dealing with AmEx Travel USA and I finally reached a supervisor after being on hold for almost 2 hours, and the supervisor told me that they could not contact the airline to ask for any waivers but must follow the policy. I just could not believe my ears as the only reason I was willing to be on hold for that long was because I was told by regular agents that only the supervisor would be able to contact the airline to clarify the policy. The call then dropped so I hope they will call back as I can't go through a 2 hour hold again. I understand these are unprecedented times, but I wish it was a bit more easier and automated. Forcing a voucher that I have no use for as the only option is not fair. Calling the airline/travel agent should only be required if one wants to reschedule a trip.
Old Mar 26, 20, 3:23 pm

Programs: No Alliance - Best Fare Only
Thank you. I am dealing with AmEx Travel USA and I finally reached a supervisor after being on hold for almost 2 hours, and the supervisor told me that they could not contact the airline to ask for any waivers but must follow the policy. I just could not believe my ears as the only reason I was willing to be on hold for that long was because I was told by regular agents that only the supervisor would be able to contact the airline to clarify the policy. The call then dropped so I hope they will call back as I can't go through a 2 hour hold again. I understand these are unprecedented times, but I wish it was a bit more easier and automated. Forcing a voucher that I have no use for as the only option is not fair. Calling the airline/travel agent should only be required if one wants to reschedule a trip.
Originally, UK Amex travel wouldn't budge stating that Qatar Airways hadn't informed them that they would be allowing refunds. Even when I pointed them to Qatar Airways official twitter feed as well as EC261 ruling, they stated it was still up to Qatar Airways and that they hadn't been informed of any policy change. It was only when the statement concerning refunds appeared on Qatar Airways website that they confirmed the refund would be allowed. I can understand travel agents not accepting twitter as official policy but surely there should be no dispute once it is on Qatar's own website.

Hoping that Amex Travel US see sense and gives you the refund!

On a separate note, this whole experience has put me off from booking again with Amex Travel. I spoke to American Express asking about a charge-back if my request for a refund failed. I was told that as Amex Travel was a part of American Express, they would side with Amex Travel thus charge-back is not possible. Plus, the fact that I used a charge card (not credit card) to pay meant that I wasn't protected under section 75 of the consumer credit act (UK law). And here I was thinking that booking with Amex travel would provide better protection when in-fact the opposite is true.

Would book again with Qatar Airways though. I think they've been pretty generous in allowing for vouchers for non cancelled flights etc. Pretty sad that we don't get to go to Bali for Easter, perhaps even sadder that I miss out on flying the Qsuite...again (last minute flight change meant i missed out 2 years ago)....yeah, you know you spend too much time on flyertalk when you look forward to the flights more than the holiday itself!
KB1974 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 20, 4:08 pm

Amex Travel called me back and said that they would process a refund. They said that Qatar were waiving cancelltion fees. After I pointed out that the fees only applied if I were the one who initiated a voluntary cancelation, they still insisted that Qatar were doing me a favour and that I was supposed to pay the fee but I would not because of the generous policy of the airline. This came from a supervisor. I now question the competence of these travel agencies if they think that fare rules apply even when the airline cancels the flight. Still no confirmation about the refund but I hope it will go through.

On a separate note, this whole experience has put me off from booking again with Amex Travel. I spoke to American Express asking about a charge-back if my request for a refund failed. I was told that as Amex Travel was a part of American Express, they would side with Amex Travel thus charge-back is not possible. Plus, the fact that I used a charge card (not credit card) to pay meant that I wasn't protected under section 75 of the consumer credit act (UK law). And here I was thinking that booking with Amex travel would provide better protection when in-fact the opposite is true.
Same here. I called AmEx (the credit card arm) to initiate a charge back and was told that they would always trust their travel department and would not go ahead with the chargeback. Surprisingly, a different agent did initiate a chargeback and I can even see a conditional credit on my account, but it is bizarre. The credit card arm should be ringfenced from the travel department. Otherwise it means that the travel department can do whatever they want with no responsibility.
flashware and elsenor like this.
Old Mar 26, 20, 4:12 pm

Programs: JE SUIS EXTRAORDINAIRE
Andriyko & A_T_G_C tell the airline/Amex travel/TA that change of policy doesn't supersede the conditions of carriage on the date the ticket was issued as it a legal binding contract to which both the airline & pax agreed. The new policy has not been agreed to mutually, hence the agreed policy is still in place. In addition to that I would also tell them that I shall consider my legal options. Under the conditions of carriage article 11.3 (this is applicable for itineraries that have been completely & partially canceled).

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/lega...-carriage.html

Please find the link to the above.

Hope this helps
Old Mar 26, 20, 4:13 pm

Programs: JE SUIS EXTRAORDINAIRE
Amex Travel called me back and said that they would process a refund. They said that Qatar were waiving cancelltion fees. After I pointed out that the fees only applied if I were the one who initiated a voluntary cancelation, they still insisted that Qatar were doing me a favour and that I was supposed to pay the fee but I would not because of the generous policy of the airline. This came from a supervisor. I now question the competence of these travel agencies if they think that fare rules apply even when the airline cancels the flight. Still no confirmation about the refund but I hope it will go through.

Same here. I called AmEx (the credit card arm) to initiate a charge back and was told that they would always trust their travel department and would not go ahead with the chargeback. Surprisingly, a different agent did initiate a chargeback and I can even see a conditional credit on my account, but it is bizarre. The credit card arm should be ringfenced from the travel department. Otherwise it means that the travel department can do whatever they want with no responsibility.
You beat me to my reply.
Glad to hear you got it sorted.
Old Mar 26, 20, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by diamantaire View Post
Under the conditions of carriage article 11.3 (this is applicable for itineraries that have been completely & partially canceled).
It was made very clear to me that whatever the airline came up with supersedes any law or anything we agreed to at the time I bought a ticket. The worst thing is that I would have swallowed the cost had I been the one who initiated the cancelation even though the flight had still been operating because I believe in fairness and in owning our own decisions. But to be told that I am owed nothing even though the airline can't deliver the purchased service to me was strange. Makes me wonder why should I act as an honest human being and be ready to accept the cost of my decisions, even if they are caused by extraordinary circumstances, if the other party can't do the same?

And thank you very much for your help and pointing me to the T&Cs.
Old Mar 27, 20, 4:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The policy 1059 has now been amended to allow refunds PNR that have for cancelled flights.

Dear colleagues,

Instruction 1059 V.1.4 is valid for passengers whose flight was not possible for the following reasons:

Canceled flights - UN segments / Airport closure
Travel ban / Restrictions
Canceled flights due to reduction of frequency
Schedule change

Conditions of instruction 1059 V.1.4:

Date of issue of the original ticket: until September 30, 2020

Departure dates for the original ticket: until September 30, 2020

Reservation conditions:

new outbound and inbound - until September 30, 2020: booking at the lowest available RBD in the same class of service; there is no difference in tariffs, taxes and fees, as well as a fine for reissuance.
outbound before September 30, inbound after October 01: booking at the lowest available RBD in the same class of service; there is no difference in tariffs, taxes and fees, as well as a fine for reissuance.
outbound and inbound after October 01: no penalty for reissuing a ticket. All other surcharges for tariff, taxes, fuel surcharge, weekend departure fees, etc. - charged.

Re-routing: allowed only to / from departure points in the same country or in another country, but at a distance of no more than 500 miles from the starting point. All ext. expenses, including domestic flights are made at the expense of the passenger.

Reservation conditions with OAL: only possible in combination of QR operated flights and OAL operated flights, along the route of the original ticket, the minimum available in the same QR RBD service class and the minimum available in the same OAL SPA RBD service class.

Number of renewals: unlimited.

Please cancel from PNR segments that will not be used. Tickets can be saved with Open status for further re-issuance.

When re-issuing tickets to Endorsement it is necessary to indicate: INVOL COVID COMM 1059V1.4. At the beginning of the calculation line, put the indicator "I". In the case where there is a change in the schedule, replace with SKCHG and "S", respectively.

Return Policy: 2 options are possible.

1 / Re-issuance of a ticket to EMD for a future flight. EMD is valid for 1 year from the date of registration. A flight with a new ticket can be made within 1 year from the date of re-issuance of EMD to a new ticket.

Qatar Airways adds 10% of the base fare, YQ and YR fees to the price of the original ticket
Starting March 26, please re-issue tickets for EMD

https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/...d=360000137938

The request must include PNR, agency name, agency email, IATA, passenger name and passenger email.
fully unused EMDs issued after March 1 will be reissued by Qatar Airways Contact Center with an addition of 10% after May 01, 2020.

2 / Refund of unused funds in accordance with the original form of payment for the ticket. No refund penalty.

No-Show: no-show fines will not be charged.

Best regards,

Your Qatar Airways Team
elsenor likes this.
Old Mar 27, 20, 5:09 am

Programs: Delta Silver, BA Bronze, Accor Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
The policy 1059 has now been amended to allow refunds PNR that have for cancelled flights.
From the wording on the QR website,

The 10% additional amount will be calculated on the unutilized base fare (taxes and all other applicable charges excluded) of the ticket originally paid and remains non-refundable.
I inferred that the 10% would only be calculated on the base fare. According to your quote, YQ and YR are also applicable which makes it a better proposition than at first glance.
Old Mar 27, 20, 7:01 am

Originally, UK Amex travel wouldn't budge stating that Qatar Airways hadn't informed them that they would be allowing refunds. Even when I pointed them to Qatar Airways official twitter feed as well as EC261 ruling, they stated it was still up to Qatar Airways and that they hadn't been informed of any policy change. It was only when the statement concerning refunds appeared on Qatar Airways website that they confirmed the refund would be allowed. I can understand travel agents not accepting twitter as official policy but surely there should be no dispute once it is on Qatar's own website.

Hoping that Amex Travel US see sense and gives you the refund!

Would book again with Qatar Airways though. I think they've been pretty generous in allowing for vouchers for non cancelled flights etc. Pretty sad that we don't get to go to Bali for Easter, perhaps even sadder that I miss out on flying the Qsuite...again (last minute flight change meant i missed out 2 years ago)....yeah, you know you spend too much time on flyertalk when you look forward to the flights more than the holiday itself!
So I was due to fly the same route as this and had the same flight cancellation as you. I booked directly with Qatar and have requested a refund via the form and I did this the day they stated the change, which was 7 days ago, but have had no reply and my request is still showing as Open on their service page. In theory I am due to fly in 75 mins time but I am not in Amsterdam and I am not going. What I am not sure about it whether I will now be classed as a no show because I have had no response from Qatar?
Old Mar 27, 20, 7:10 am

The no-show penalties on all tickets have been suspended anyway so you are fine.
stu002 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 20, 7:11 am
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by stu002 View Post
So I was due to fly the same route as this and had the same flight cancellation as you. I booked directly with Qatar and have requested a refund via the form and I did this the day they stated the change, which was 7 days ago, but have had no reply and my request is still showing as Open on their service page. In theory I am due to fly in 75 mins time but I am not in Amsterdam and I am not going. What I am not sure about it whether I will now be classed as a no show because I have had no response from Qatar?
It does say in the 1059 advisory above that no show fines will not be charged. Probably because of exactly your situation where they have a backlog of items to process.
stu002 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 20, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In this case, it does not matter as the passenger's flight has been cancelled. He has nothing to no show for.

This passenger's issue is -- if I read his post correctly -- that he voluntarily cancelled the ticket prior to QR cancelling the flight. Thus, he has a somewhat different issue dealw ith vis-a-vis refund.

For the broader audience, it is important not to voluntarily cancel until as late as possible. If the carrier cancels the flight, you may have to fight about a refund, but you should eventually prevail. More importantly, if the carrier cancels, it has not provided the service and thus, there should be a valid chargeback, if you have fully complied with the requirements for the jurisdiction in which your card was issued. These vary and thus a US bank card vs. French vs. Japan can matter.
Old Mar 27, 20, 8:06 am

In my case segment 3 of 4 has been cancelled without replacement but segment 1&2 are still intact but being moved around thru schedule changes. Thanks to 1059 being updated only today I just applied for a refund and I'm pretty certain it won't be resolved till segment 1 which is currently due to operate in 10 days. So the no-show waiver is perfect for me.

BTW, isn't most of QRs backoffice located in India? Is the BPO still operating even though the entire country was force fully shut down?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: