Wiki Posts
Search

UK FCO Travel Advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
UK FCO Travel Advice

The FCO have announced a worldwide advisor are against non essential travel.

Does this mean Qatar are obliged to issue refunds NOT vouchers?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Will100
The FCO have announced a worldwide advisor are against non essential travel.

Does this mean Qatar are obliged to issue refunds NOT vouchers?
No. But you should now be able to claim against your travel insurance.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
I don't think QR is obliged to do anything given it is advice and from a foreign government.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

We are booked Stockholm to Bangkok.

Should we anticipate any issues with travel insurance given we are not starting in the UK?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:08 pm

We are booked Stockholm to Bangkok.

Should we anticipate any issues with travel insurance given we are not starting in the UK?
If it's a UK issued policy, yes. The FCO now advise against all travel worldwide. You are likely not to be covered, irrespective of an ex-EU departure.

Call your insurers to check. Also be aware that Thailand is now starting to shut down too.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by realgaga
I don't think QR is obliged to do anything given it is advice and from a foreign government.
In that case should I just make a claim with my travel insurance. I cant get through to Qatar Airways, they told me they havent been notified of any travel restrictions and just offered a voucher or change of date. Im hoping flights start getting cancelled so I can receive a full refund with fees waived.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
If it's a UK issued policy, yes. The FCO now advise against all travel worldwide. You are likely not to be covered, irrespective of an ex-EU departure.

Call your insurers to check. Also be aware that Thailand is now starting to shut down too.
Just to clarify my original question.

I have UK travel insurance and the trip was booked long before the Coronavirus issues and would like to claim a refund in the absence of QR agreeing to my request.

I will, or course, ring them to confirm but just wondered if anyone has an experience of insurance issues ex-EU
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There is so much flux at the moment that you should probably just call your travel insurance to get it from the horse’s mouth. You may have to HUCA.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:12 pm

I don't think travel insurance is going to cover anything related coronavirus. Un less you have a cancel for any reason policy.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:58 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by puffin_l
In that case should I just make a claim with my travel insurance. I cant get through to Qatar Airways, they told me they havent been notified of any travel restrictions and just offered a voucher or change of date. Im hoping flights start getting cancelled so I can receive a full refund with fees waived.
When is your flight?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Just to clarify my original question.

I have UK travel insurance and the trip was booked long before the Coronavirus issues and would like to claim a refund in the absence of QR agreeing to my request.

I will, or course, ring them to confirm but just wondered if anyone has an experience of insurance issues ex-EU
I'm guessing you are starting your trip with a flight from the UK to Sweden. Subsequent flights, part of the same trip, should be covered.

Insurers are never keen on answering "will I be covered if I take this course of action"..

It's really not a good time to travel. I've just got out of Malaysia, a couple of hours before its version of shutdown came into force. passengers connecting to some EU destinations were simply being turned away, told to sort things out themselves because they would not be slowed entry, or the airline had cancelled onward connections to the destination country.

If I were you, I'd wait until the last minute to see what the airline does - or doesn't do. If it doesn't cancel, then do so yourself and put in a claim. Travelling would still be an option, but with risks of unrecoverable expenses and confusion.

This post might be of interest:

UK Travel Insurance Recommendations

Last edited by IAN-UK; Mar 17, 2020 at 7:42 pm Reason: Adding link
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by jmj9905
I don't think travel insurance is going to cover anything related coronavirus. Un less you have a cancel for any reason policy.
If taken out before it was classified a pandemic, then my insurer covers it under their normal terms, or so they claim.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by realgaga
When is your flight?
Its supposed to be on the 26th March. My travel insurance said to proceed with my claim, my flight needs to be cancelled. I am hoping the flight gets cancelled closer to the time, but what happens if it doesnt? I was meant to be flying to Sri Lanka but they arent allowing arrivals anyway.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by puffin_l
Its supposed to be on the 26th March. My travel insurance said to proceed with my claim, my flight needs to be cancelled. I am hoping the flight gets cancelled closer to the time, but what happens if it doesnt? I was meant to be flying to Sri Lanka but they arent allowing arrivals anyway.
Many travel insurance policies include a waiver for disinclination for travel. In other words, you are not covered if you choose not to travel. You are not able to travel, so I'd read the specific language or ask them for the policy on government imposed entry restriction. I unfortunately have a suspicion that many policies won't pay out in that circumstance.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:49 pm

all I can say is good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.