Old May 14, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
'Extending Our Commitment' policy has ended as of Oct 1st 2022.
Please see 'Schedule Change' policy below.

Web Version PDF Version

Important: Read the disclaimers and changes below before reading the policy.

Disclaimers:
  • The version of the policy at the time of change applies.*
  • This document was made for viewing by travel agents, not passengers.
  • You must call in to make the changes to your ticket since fees are waived manually.
  • This policy is in addition to the fare rules of your ticket.
  • Conditions of Carriage still apply.
  • It is expected that there will be more changes to the policy in the future and Qatar Airways can amend the policy without prior notice.
*You are welcome to pursue legal action with QR and prove this wrong. We are merely warning you what will happen when you call in and perform a change.
ALL TIMES/DATES IN DOHA TIME (GMT+3)

Wiki maintained by realgaga
Print Wikipost

Covid-19: Book with Confidence QR Policy

Old Jul 25, 2020, 1:23 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
This whole 5,000 mile thing is BS. Getting to BKK is way more than 5,000 miles. When I wanted Cambodia, Singapore or anything else they kept saying it was further (when Cambodia is closer!)

No point in arguing. I’m happy to be able to get a flight to SE Asia in the world’s best business class for $1600 R/T.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 2:05 am

By the way, just wanted to advise people that they are letting you refund if you want one. I told them if I wanted a refund since Thailand isn’t letting Americans in could I get one. The twitter team said that would be no problem and asked for some details so they could process a refund.

Surprised at how nice QR is being during this whole situation. I don’t want a refund anymore given that Ill be able to credit these segments to AS whenever they end up going.

Now that we know QR seems to be playing nice with us, I wouldn’t mind booking a second one since I can also credit to AS.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 3:51 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum

Surprised at how nice QR is being during this whole situation. I don’t want a refund anymore given that Ill be able to credit these segments to AS whenever they end up going.

Now that we know QR seems to be playing nice with us, I wouldn’t mind booking a second one since I can also credit to AS.
Are you basing this on the assumption that AS will be in oneworld by the time you fly?
Old Jul 25, 2020, 4:26 am

This whole 5,000 mile thing is BS. Getting to BKK is way more than 5,000 miles. When I wanted Cambodia, Singapore or anything else they kept saying it was further (when Cambodia is closer!)
Closer to Kiev?

​​​​​​It does seem that QR have done the Kiev flyers a favour by allowing rerouting to BKK as a SE Asia gateway, given the mileage from KBP as shown in another post being over 5,000. Expecting them to bend that limit even further by allowing PNH or SIN is a bit unrealistic.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

No point in arguing. I’m happy to be able to get a flight to SE Asia in the world’s best business class for $1600 R/T.
Given an allowance for how different systems calculate distance:
Kiev Bangkok is definitely IN,
Kiev Phnom Penh is on the edge,
Kiev Singapore is definitely OUT

Last edited by IAN-UK; Jul 25, 2020 at 5:26 am
Old Jul 25, 2020, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Given an allowance for how different systems calculate distance:
Kiev Bangkok is definitely IN,
Kiev Phnom Penh is on the edge,
Kiev Singapore is definitely OUT

PNH is there, and Siam Reep is absolutely there.

Someone else claimed they were able to change to SIN and others have gotten KUL... it seems very arbitrary.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
PNH is there, and Siam Reep is absolutely there.

... it seems very arbitrary.
I was gently correcting your notion that Phnom Penh is closer to Kiev than Bangkok.

PNH KBP falls within 100 miles of the 5,000 mile limit. Perhaps QR rounds up! Who knows?

But you are totally correct: there IS very clearly something odd about the way QR agents are interpreting and applying the policy. But there again, Qatar seldom shines in these things, and It's their game, they write the rules...and they they have the referee in their pocket .

Maybe best to accept the rough with the smooth - there's plenty of smooth to enjoy; and if the rough is spending a few $ on a ticket Bangkok to Phnom Penh, it's not that much of a hardship.

Someone else claimed they were able to change to SIN and others have gotten KUL

Singapore and Kuala Lumpur are both comfortably outside the 5,000 mile cut off.

If you celebrate the rules being bent in a positive way, by whoever blagged Singapore, it gets more difficult to sustain a complaint that you've been hard done by being refused Phnom Penh but allowed Bangkok. Where rule are not applied consistently there will be winners and losers. Extending a ticket for free from Europe to SE Asia isn't really losing.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Schwann
Under the schedule change policy you should be able to change to depart from another airport served by QR within 500 miles of CPH.
Thankyou: So no where in the UK but Amsterdam would be OK?
Old Jul 25, 2020, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by simonsmith
Thankyou: So no where in the UK but Amsterdam would be OK?
AMS should be fine, yeah!
Old Jul 25, 2020, 3:00 pm

By the way, just wanted to advise people that they are letting you refund if you want one. I told them if I wanted a refund since Thailand isn’t letting Americans in could I get one. The twitter team said that would be no problem and asked for some details so they could process a refund. (...)
Anyone with experience getting a refund (or voucher) for a partially-flown trip (e.g. return half of a round trip)?

Last edited by JohnAx; Jul 25, 2020 at 3:08 pm Reason: entry error
Old Jul 25, 2020, 4:12 pm
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
Regarding changes within 500 miles: I can speak from experience, I changed from CPH to AMS to maintain Q-Suites prior to this current version of policy due to their longer standing 500 mile rule. I got a little push back when changing my destination later, but eventually secured my change.

More info for those who care:
Original destination HKG, new destination SYD. Though doesn't seem likely either one will be open for Americans in 2020, so I'm waiting out to see how things play out towards changes going into 2021. I got a good deal on a flight, I'm hoping to keep rolling it over until I can use it. Hopefully QR will accommodate this, if only as thanks for the interest free loan I've given them...

Last edited by BTA; Jul 26, 2020 at 5:53 am
Old Jul 26, 2020, 5:48 am

Don’t know what’s going on with my ticket now. My Bangkok itinerary is in there, I asked to change to a different destination.

QR responded on Twitter with this when I asked for the change: “we Request you to please share the confirm ticket purchase to close the security check before we proceed further. Thanks for reaching us,“

What is this? I don’t even know what they’re referring to. Also side question, are people allowed to move fare classes from R to C to D if they HUCA enough times? I remember they we’re strict about this after the first week, but then others reported that they were able to change fare classes within the same cabin for route changes. Any update on this?

My LAX-DOH seatmap actually seems a bit crowded considering COVID is occurring and this is in November. I know they block out the middle of Qsuites, but there’s at least 5 other people for sure assigned seats which I thought was surprisingly high.

Last edited by NWplatinum; Jul 26, 2020 at 6:30 am
Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:13 am

My LAX-DOH seatmap actually seems a bit crowded considering COVID is occurring and this is in November. I know they block out the middle of Qsuites, but there’s at least 5 other people for sure assigned seats which I thought was surprisingly high.
Did you just say only the window seats are used? Until they canceled us again due to again not serving SOF we were happily assigned an E-F pair.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by JohnAx
Did you just say only the window seats are used? Until they canceled us again due to again not serving SOF we were happily assigned an E-F pair.
No, what I meant was they block out the middle seats, I assume so people traveling together can get them assigned together.

I was just saying out of the seats I know are officially occupied it’s about 5-6 which I thought seemed high given COVID where J seatmaps are going out with 1-4 seats actually occupied.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:35 am

No, what I meant was they block out the middle seats, I assume so people traveling together can get them assigned together.

I was just saying out of the seats I know are officially occupied it’s about 5-6 which I thought seemed high given COVID where J seatmaps are going out with 1-4 seats actually occupied.
That blocking really obfuscates the load - when I called about a month ago for 29 July from LAX the only E-F pair left was row 11, hardly my first choice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.