Old May 14, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
'Extending Our Commitment' policy has ended as of Oct 1st 2022.
Please see 'Schedule Change' policy below.

Web Version PDF Version

Important: Read the disclaimers and changes below before reading the policy.

Disclaimers:
  • The version of the policy at the time of change applies.*
  • This document was made for viewing by travel agents, not passengers.
  • You must call in to make the changes to your ticket since fees are waived manually.
  • This policy is in addition to the fare rules of your ticket.
  • Conditions of Carriage still apply.
  • It is expected that there will be more changes to the policy in the future and Qatar Airways can amend the policy without prior notice.
*You are welcome to pursue legal action with QR and prove this wrong. We are merely warning you what will happen when you call in and perform a change.
ALL TIMES/DATES IN DOHA TIME (GMT+3)

Wiki maintained by realgaga
Print Wikipost

Covid-19: Book with Confidence QR Policy

Old Jul 23, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by abielewi
Called again later. This time the call centre in Qatar directly. The agent was more helpful and explained everything in details. He told me that he agrees with me, but their internal policy is that when their system which calculates distances from A to B returns ??? then they have to sum the distances A to Doha and Doha to B. In my case I wanted to change from Delhi to Denpasar and this returns ???. So it all depends whether the specific city pairs have their distance loaded in Qatar system which is really stupid, because you can easily change from SIN to SYD, but not from DEL to DPS.
This is somewhat confusing. So they sum the distances A - Doha - B, and the new routing can't be more than 5,000 miles greater than the sum of distances from the original routing?

Thanks
Old Jul 23, 2020, 9:41 am

Has anyone else lost the ability to change their booking in MMB after calling Qatar and changing flights via the call centre?
Old Jul 23, 2020, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by brewdog11
This is somewhat confusing. So they sum the distances A - Doha - B, and the new routing can't be more than 5,000 miles greater than the sum of distances from the original routing?

Thanks
Yes, exactly. When their system does not return distance between A and B, then this sum of distances is used. To be honest, I feel a bit cheated now as there is no mention about this in T&C.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Yes, exactly. When their system does not return distance between A and B, then this sum of distances is used. To be honest, I feel a bit cheated now as there is no mention about this in T&C.
It feels like this is very possibly one of the "rules" that agents seem to be making up on the fly.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: Avis First, Hertz PC, National EE,Enterprise Pt, Sixt Plantinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by absoluy
It feels like this is very possibly one of the "rules" that agents seem to be making up on the fly.
I encountered an agent who did this 'sum-up' approach to calculate TBS-DOH-CAN is more than 5,000 miles, while direct distance from TBS-CAN is only a bit over 4000 miles.

I would agree that this is a direct violation of what the written rules is in the T&C and on the website saying "any other destination we fly to within a 5,000 mile radius of your original destination."
Old Jul 23, 2020, 11:55 am

This anomaly has been mentioned by posters a few times over the last few months, and there is an interview linked somewhere in the forum with a senior QR commercial executive who said much the same but called it something like 5,000 QR route miles or similar. But I agree it's not what "within a 5,000 mile radius" would lead you to believe.

It might explain some of the reroutes that have been declined though. But it makes no sense if you just wanted to switch from something reasonable like say BKK to HKT or KUL but were refused, when much longer swaps like the Kiev crowd have achieved have been approved.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
So I'm considering LAX-DOH-SIN, swapping SIN for DPS. Has anyone had any experience with this routing?
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:33 pm

I have a feeling that ??? comes up when there is no direct flight between old and new destination. I just tried a couple of pairs that I asked the agent about and every time that there is a nonstop flight between the two, Qatar's system returned the distance.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
I have a feeling that ??? comes up when there is no direct flight between old and new destination. I just tried a couple of pairs that I asked the agent about and every time that there is a nonstop flight between the two, Qatar's system returned the distance.
A direct flight operated by who? Or you mean the "???" comes up when there isn't a QR marketed route between the two (like changing LAX-DOH-SIN to DPS would not be OK since you can't buy SIN-DPS on QR)?
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:41 pm

Back in the day, you could book and fly QR between SIN and DPS. Who knows, maybe that one is still sitting in the system somewhere...
mileageking likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by absoluy
A direct flight operated by who? Or you mean the "???" comes up when there isn't a QR marketed route between the two (like changing LAX-DOH-SIN to DPS would not be OK since you can't buy SIN-DPS on QR)?
I meant any direct flight operated by any carrier. In my case DEL-DPS does not exist.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:45 pm

Do you know if getting a voucher and then booking a different route with this voucher still allows to use this "Book with Confidence" policy? Agent told me so, but maybe someone already tried that.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
Back in the day, you could book and fly QR between SIN and DPS. Who knows, maybe that one is still sitting in the system somewhere...
Yeap QR638
Old Jul 24, 2020, 12:19 am

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
Can you change the return city to return to another city than departed from? Or can only the destination city be changed?
Old Jul 24, 2020, 1:44 am

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
So Mrs DJ came back on Wednesday.

All good on the flight but one thing was noteworthy.

Wear long sleeves!! She noticed a bit of a rash on her arms and on juniors arms after getting off the flights.

It cleared up in about 24 hours but just go to show the strength of the material they are using when cleaning the aircraft.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.