Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
'Extending Our Commitment' policy has ended as of Oct 1st 2022.
Please see 'Schedule Change' policy below.

Web Version PDF Version

Important: Read the disclaimers and changes below before reading the policy.

Disclaimers:
  • The version of the policy at the time of change applies.*
  • This document was made for viewing by travel agents, not passengers.
  • You must call in to make the changes to your ticket since fees are waived manually.
  • This policy is in addition to the fare rules of your ticket.
  • Conditions of Carriage still apply.
  • It is expected that there will be more changes to the policy in the future and Qatar Airways can amend the policy without prior notice.
*You are welcome to pursue legal action with QR and prove this wrong. We are merely warning you what will happen when you call in and perform a change.
ALL TIMES/DATES IN DOHA TIME (GMT+3)

Wiki maintained by realgaga
Print Wikipost

Covid-19: Book with Confidence QR Policy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2020, 2:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by lall
I hope BA can come up with something similarly worded and illustrated explanations.
BA has similar info for TAs: https://iag.showpad.com/share/5vw04d0DkfHQ2dzEzamqc
This example is from May, there are newer versions, just trying to make a point.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by discoverCSG
In the section for voluntary reroutes with travel on/before December 31, 2020, I noticed the following language:

"Rebook into same RBD as original ticket or if not available, into the lowest RBD within the same cabin on QR operating flights..." with instructions to waive fare difference.

Am I reading correctly that one can reroute onto any itinerary (within the same country/5000-mile limits, etc.) with a seat available in the relevant cabin, with no fare differences?

I do see a parenthetical "restrictions for voluntary rerouting apply - refer to section 'When rerouting on Qatar Airways (QR) operated flights':" but I don't see a section with that title in this document.

Would this be the section on rerouting?
Old Jul 16, 2020, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
In the section for voluntary reroutes with travel on/before December 31, 2020, I noticed the following language:

"Rebook into same RBD as original ticket or if not available, into the lowest RBD within the same cabin on QR operating flights..." with instructions to waive fare difference.

Am I reading correctly that one can reroute onto any itinerary (within the same country/5000-mile limits, etc.) with a seat available in the relevant cabin, with no fare differences?

I do see a parenthetical "restrictions for voluntary rerouting apply - refer to section 'When rerouting on Qatar Airways (QR) operated flights':" but I don't see a section with that title in this document.
I think you need to read the next page.

Old Jul 16, 2020, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)

For voluntary changes, original RBD is needed. This is explained further on. (It's easy to miss if skimming through the document rather than reading every word.)

Originally Posted by poromenos
It does sound like closer to the previous revision ie booking class doesn't matter. What I get from this is that an R fare could be rebooked to "the lowest fare in business cabin".
Only for involuntary changes.

Originally Posted by salehir
I agree that it seems the same RBD doesn't need to be applied
Original RBD is needed for voluntary changes.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by anabolism
For voluntary changes, original RBD is needed. This is explained further on. (It's easy to miss if skimming through the document rather than reading every word.)

Only for involuntary changes.

Original RBD is needed for voluntary changes.
So I booked LAX-DOH-BKK-DOH-BKK-LAX in all R, and now I might want to change the trip to LAX-DOH-HND-DOH-LAX in all D. (R is unavailable)
Due to the travel restriction to Thailand I believe it is an involuntary change, correct?
Does that work?
Also, I can't mix both NRT and HND in the tickets, correct?
Old Jul 18, 2020, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
So I booked LAX-DOH-BKK-DOH-BKK-LAX in all R, and now I might want to change the trip to LAX-DOH-HND-DOH-LAX in all D. (R is unavailable)
Due to the travel restriction to Thailand I believe it is an involuntary change, correct?
Does that work?
Also, I can't mix both NRT and HND in the tickets, correct?
It probably depends how soon you are due to be flying. QR seem to be cancelling flights between a week and a month in advance due to border issues and you may find the same timescale applied for the other involuntary changes listed in the guidelines. If you are changing your booking further out from travel they may regard the change as voluntary at this stage and the same RBD rule applied.

Openjaw is not allowed in the guidelines but they may class HND and NRT as both being TYO, since both airports post in booking searches for TYO (like LON). You would probably need to ask them to find out for sure though.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: Avis First, Hertz PC, National EE,Enterprise Pt, Sixt Plantinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Booked JFK-DOH-TBS-DOH-JFK in R. Trying to change TBS to CAN (gcmap = 4075 miles), but having trouble when requesting rerouting with 3 call center agents so far, first agent in Australia Center quoted the distance from TBS to CAN is ~10,000 miles (I literally laughed), 2nd agent in US Center quoted ~ 7,000 miles, 3rd agent in Italy Center quoted 5,048 miles based on the TBS-DOH-CAN route but refuse to change it due to 48 miles over 5,000 miles. It looks like the first two agents check in their systems directly TBS-CAN, and somehow the systems return an much longer than reality distance, the way the 3rd agent checked at least matched the gcmap TBS-DOH-CAN. However, from the terms, the 5,000 miles should be direct radius distance from the original and new destinations, so even the 3rd agent is making up the rules himself.

All the agents are very stubborn in insisting their system is correct, yet gave me 3 different quoted miles, with at least 1000 miles away from the actual direct distance. So I am having this problem about 'going over' the 5K miles from the agent side.

Any suggestions about how to get around this / correct their mistake in calculating miles?

Last edited by winben; Jul 19, 2020 at 7:08 am
Old Jul 18, 2020, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by winben
ny suggestions about how to get around this / correct their mistake in calculating miles?
I think the only thing you can really do is keep trying. If an agent seems unhelpful then i wouldn’t push it too much in case they go writing notes in the reservation that would discourage other agents from being helpful.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Someone posted about how their flight got cancelled and they were offered a refund, but they rebooked for later.

Has any US citizen with border entrance issues had to involuntary cancel their flight as of late? What options were you offered? Are they letting people who get an involuntary change (cancellation or entrance restrictions) rebook for next year?

Also, what on earth is traveling in J these days like?
Old Jul 19, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: Avis First, Hertz PC, National EE,Enterprise Pt, Sixt Plantinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Wonder if the Qatar call center will honor the rules better as what it should be?
Old Jul 19, 2020, 8:42 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Someone posted about how their flight got cancelled and they were offered a refund, but they rebooked for later.

Has any US citizen with border entrance issues had to involuntary cancel their flight as of late? What options were you offered? Are they letting people who get an involuntary change (cancellation or entrance restrictions) rebook for next year?

Also, what on earth is traveling in J these days like?
I'd check out the following thread,

QR Repatriation Flights & Onboard Service
Old Jul 19, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I'd check out the following thread,

QR Repatriation Flights & Onboard Service
Thanks. Seems like the service aside from FA’s in PPE gear, is pretty much the same as it was.

There’s no US flyers on here who have had to delay/cancel trips in the last few days or next weeks?
Old Jul 19, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Thanks. Seems like the service aside from FA’s in PPE gear, is pretty much the same as it was.

There’s no US flyers on here who have had to delay/cancel trips in the last few days or next weeks?
I don't know about what goes on in delaying/canceling flights, outside of what I can see in the various fora. We canceled any outstanding reservations earlier this year and haven't scheduled anything since March as none of our desired destinations have opened up at this time.

We will likely fly QR when we do as a lot of other carriers have increased prices while cutting back on lounges and service. QR seems to be keeping their prices competitive while maintaining high standards of service both onboard and at the airport. But nothing definite for now.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MARRIOTT TI, HILTON GLD
Update on experience using policy with AMEX IAP

Thought I'd share my experience booking with IAP and then using the Travel with Confidence Policy. SPOILER: It was successful, and it was a royal pain, and your mileage certainly will vary. This post will be a bit long, sorry, but hopefully it helps anyone looking at using IAP!

I was sharing on here a couple of weeks ago when I first started my attempt at making changes, and talked about how two different AMEX agents had no idea about the policy and were quite reluctant to make things happen. A lot happened since then!
Here's my full timeline:
Day 1: Bought JFK-TBS-JFK at $140 less than QR's
Day 15: After the 14 day wait, called to change to LAX-MLE-LAX, spent 6 hours on the phone with 4 different agents who called Amex supervisors or QR agents
  • One QR agent said that only the destination can be changed (wrong), quoting me $4400 in fare difference per ticket
  • One QR agent said that the origin can only be changed within 1500mi so I can only change it to DFW/ORD-MLE (wrong)
  • Two Amex supervisors said this policy is not on Amex's instruction list, so even if QR gave the Amex agent the waiver code, they were not authorized to use it
  • Final agent succeeded at getting the code and everything but needed QR to ticket it and QR's hours are now apparently 9-6 M-F and it was already Friday night so I was told to call on Monday
Day 18: Called to put the change through, No success, and the R availability was gone
Day 21: Called again with new R availability dates, 1 agent, 1 try, she called Qatar, got the waiver code, put it through, success!
  • Called QR a few hours later to select seats and they said "the reservation has been changed but the ticket hasn't"
  • Called Amex to make sure the ticketing had gone through. "Yup, everything looks good on this end"
Day 22: at midnight JFK time, we got a cancellation notice for our itinerary. Called Amex, found out that Amex ticketing had failed to complete the ticketing in time (over a day and a half) so QR cancelled the ticket. Amex agent tried to reinstate but the R availability was now gone again, and it was Friday night so she couldn't get through to QR so she said wait til Monday (devastating and frustrating, especially since we booked hotel)
Day 25: Spent over 4 hours on the phone with 2 different Amex agents who told me there was nothing they could do and whose supervisors told them that even if Qatar gave them waivers, they would not be allowed to use it because it wasn't Amex sanctioned. They attempted to change to DFW-MLE dates that had R availability and quoted me a fare difference of over $3K/ticket because the origin was different. I hung up and screamed so loud I nearly blew out my vocal cords
Day 26: Found LAX dates with R availability, called, got an agent who listened to my whole situation, called QR, made a 3-way call, I gave the very helpful QR agent my info, and just like that, it was ticketed. Fully ticketed by Qatar, with Qatar Airways ticket confirmation email and everything, and in fact QR took control so it is no longer with Amex at all. This final interaction was a dream and felt like exactly what I was hoping for from the beginning. This was over a week ago and we're still good to go!

tl;dr- Booked JFK-DOH-MLE through AMEX IAP, and after about 11 hours on the phone with Amex over the course of over a week, successfully rebooked to LAX-DOH-MLE. I would say it was 100% NOT worth the money I saved by booking through IAP. But that was just my experience. Again, YMMV.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Exchange for Voucher

I booked my QR ticket through Orbitz.
If I understand correctly, I can just use QR's web form to submit my request by myself.
I don't need to go though Orbitz to exchange the ticket for voucher.
Is that correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.