Old May 14, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
'Extending Our Commitment' policy has ended as of Oct 1st 2022.
Please see 'Schedule Change' policy below.

Web Version PDF Version

Important: Read the disclaimers and changes below before reading the policy.

Disclaimers:
  • The version of the policy at the time of change applies.*
  • This document was made for viewing by travel agents, not passengers.
  • You must call in to make the changes to your ticket since fees are waived manually.
  • This policy is in addition to the fare rules of your ticket.
  • Conditions of Carriage still apply.
  • It is expected that there will be more changes to the policy in the future and Qatar Airways can amend the policy without prior notice.
*You are welcome to pursue legal action with QR and prove this wrong. We are merely warning you what will happen when you call in and perform a change.
ALL TIMES/DATES IN DOHA TIME (GMT+3)

Wiki maintained by realgaga
Print Wikipost

Covid-19: Book with Confidence QR Policy

Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by tingtongbells
I have a booking with outbound sector on 9 May and return sector on 30 July.

I called up QR and the agent said that if I wish to cancel, both sectors will be cancelled together, ie I cannot cancel the outbound sector and keep the return sector.

He also mentioned that if I choose to cancel now, the free cancellation policy will only cover the outbound sector and I will to pay the cancellation fee for return sector as it’s after 30 June.

Is there any way to work around this? Will HUCA help?
If you want to cancel the outbound only, you are basically converting your return ticket into a one way ticket which is almost always more expensive. So I'm not surprised the agent isn't being too generous there. If you flew the outbound and then cancelled the return you might get some money back, it depends on the fare rules and point of sale of your particular ticket.

Likewise, your return is outside of the scope of the current policy dates. You could argue that your travel starts during the current period but I can see why they would currently push back on that.

Your travel is a while off. Why not wait until nearer the time before making changes. You may feel happy to take the trip by then, or the current policy period may get extended. Either way you won't be worse off by waiting.
tingtongbells likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Massive jump in qatar reported cases today
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Schwann
That suits me. I was just worried the voucher would take weeks to arrive. As per a poster above it seems it could be quicker.
I have been waiting for my voucher for almost a week now. Also want to use that voucher to book a new ticket to an alternative destination.
Does anyone have any experience how long it will take QR to issue the voucher?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by patchan8984
Due to all the QR schedule changes, I was able to get a refund - 4 separate large change in schedule. With all the QR schedule changes even before covid, I'm surprised that more people aren't waiting for a large schedule change and getting a full refund vs. a travel voucher...unless the plan was always to re-book all along.

Like another poster said, AMEX Plat Travel will transfer you over to AMEX Travel (Online). Took about an hour, but got my tickets fully refunded. I haven't gotten the final call or email yet, so hoping this still goes through.
Unfortunately my tcikets, booked on December 4, have not seen any shedule changes whatsoever... There was some 5-10 minute changes and equiment change (to Qsuites even) so nothing that is worthy of a refund...
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I messaged QR on Twitter to ask if rebooking with waived change fees (but paying the fare difference) to travel to another destination was possible in lieu of waiting for the travel voucher, their response:

The travel agent (In my case Amex) should be able to issue you with the travel voucher in lieu of the original amount collected and you may use the voucher amount to issue a new ticket. Ideally, changes only possible to same origin/destination point as per the booking. Rerouting will incur a difference in the fares, which has to be paid by yourself.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:22 pm

My flight from JFK-DOH-JNB is scheduled for Friday. I would need to cancel my flight yesterday to get a refund. My travel agent notified me today that I could change my game lodge reservations for later in the year with no penalty. I doubt Qatar Airways will allow me to cancel so closely.

As of now we are planning on going. Our bigger concern isn't getting sick but getting stuck somewhere. A lot can happen during our 2 week vacation and who know what travel restrictions can change.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:45 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
I messaged QR on Twitter to ask if rebooking with waived change fees (but paying the fare difference) to travel to another destination was possible in lieu of waiting for the travel voucher, their response:
I did ask about a rebooking fee waiver on 4th of March and it was denied.
I did then rebook on 5th of March, one day before the official anouncement of "We believe safe travel isn’t a need, but a necessity.We understand the need to go and see the people and places we want to see. As an airline, it is our duty to enable people to travel safely" (https://www.qatarairways.com/en-in/t...id=ALL43250410) and was charged rebooking fees and fare difference.
I asked again for waiving the rebooking fees retroactive, and it was denied again.

"Understanding" seems to be linked with a press release ;-) and cannot reach out to "before happened cases" ...
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by jiffer21225
Our bigger concern isn't getting sick but getting stuck somewhere.
This is a legitimate concern for many.

I have just been in to the QR ticketing office in Cape Town, and they have confirmed that you can change your return flights after taking the outbound without paying the change fee, provided the change is made 72 hours before departure. After that you can still change but would pay the fee in your particular fare rules, plus any fare difference.

So there is flexibility to amend plans on the go. If you were returning home you'd probably be allowed to travel anyway if the flights are running. And South Africa is "currently" low risk so you should be fine in the short term (but who knows how long the short term might turn out to be...)
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:24 am

Are you still waiting for the voucher?
I called the US Qatar airways number yesterday (March 11) in the morning, cancelled my reservation, and received email with an attachment in the afternoon. The attachment looks like an e-ticket with an EMD number, the original ticket number and confirmation number.
Then I searched and booked another Qatar Airways itinerary on their website, held its payment for 24 hours, called Qatar airways again, then completed the payment using the voucher and credit card (the new itinerary is slightly more expensive than the old one).
Everything was done yesterday and I now have a new confirmed e-ticket. I double checked over the phone that this new itinerary is also flexible if I cancel three days prior to its departure.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Kyo Lee
Are you still waiting for the voucher?
I called the US Qatar airways number yesterday (March 11) in the morning, cancelled my reservation, and received email with an attachment in the afternoon. The attachment looks like an e-ticket with an EMD number, the original ticket number and confirmation number.
Then I searched and booked another Qatar Airways itinerary on their website, held its payment for 24 hours, called Qatar airways again, then completed the payment using the voucher and credit card (the new itinerary is slightly more expensive than the old one).
Everything was done yesterday and I now have a new confirmed e-ticket. I double checked over the phone that this new itinerary is also flexible if I cancel three days prior to its departure.
I did the same yesterday: Called, asked for a voucher. After a lot of typing, the agent said the voucher should be sent via email in the next 2 days. Later on I got an email with an attachment that looks like the original e-ticket. It shows the booking ref, eticket number - but no reference to a voucher/EMD. Is that the voucher? Where would I find the EMD number? My booking ref does not exist in MMB anymore, says "could not be processed, not a valid booking ref"...
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
I did the same yesterday: Called, asked for a voucher. After a lot of typing, the agent said the voucher should be sent via email in the next 2 days. Later on I got an email with an attachment that looks like the original e-ticket. It shows the booking ref, eticket number - but no reference to a voucher/EMD. Is that the voucher? Where would I find the EMD number? My booking ref does not exist in MMB anymore, says "could not be processed, not a valid booking ref"...
The email from Qatar Airways Contact Centre is titled 'Your Electronic Receipt'. The attachment (Your Electronic Receipt.pdf) has following info.

ELECTRONIC MISCELLANEOUSDOCUMENTRECEIPT (EMD) Document Number: (YOUR VOUCHER #) Coupon 1
Service Booking ref: (ORIGINAL CONFIRMATION #)Date: 10Mar2020 Present To Present At Transportation Credit Voucher Non-interlineable Issued In Exchanged Ticket Number
Original Ticket Number XXXXXX
Original XXXXX Ft Lauderdale XXXXX
EMDREMARKS An EMDis valid for a periodof one yearfrom the dateof issuanceunless issued for a specific service in which case it is considered as used upon issuance
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:47 am

Hi there,

I'm due to fly out tomorrow to Colombo from Heathrow (via Doha) with QR, but as per this tweet from their president they have placed a 14 days quarantine on all foreign nationals visiting

Am I screwed with getting any kind of refund from QR?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Kyo Lee
The email from Qatar Airways Contact Centre is titled 'Your Electronic Receipt'. The attachment (Your Electronic Receipt.pdf) has following info.

ELECTRONIC MISCELLANEOUSDOCUMENTRECEIPT (EMD) Document Number: (YOUR VOUCHER #) Coupon 1
Service Booking ref: (ORIGINAL CONFIRMATION #)Date: 10Mar2020 Present To Present At Transportation Credit Voucher Non-interlineable Issued In Exchanged Ticket Number
Original Ticket Number XXXXXX
Original XXXXX Ft Lauderdale XXXXX
EMDREMARKS An EMDis valid for a periodof one yearfrom the dateof issuanceunless issued for a specific service in which case it is considered as used upon issuance
Thank you very much! Not the document I received, they just sent me the original ticket ... :-/
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy

I have just been in to the QR ticketing office in Cape Town, and they have confirmed that you can change your return flights after taking the outbound without paying the change fee, provided the change is made 72 hours before departure. After that you can still change but would pay the fee in your particular fare rules, plus any fare difference.

So there is flexibility to amend plans on the go. If you were returning home you'd probably be allowed to travel anyway if the flights are running. And South Africa is "currently" low risk so you should be fine in the short term (but who knows how long the short term might turn out to be...)
Thank you for that information. Its good to know.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy

I have just been in to the QR ticketing office in Cape Town, ...
Johnnieboy -
Slightly OT, but that was exactly my plan after flying out to CPT next week. Did you go to the ticket desk in the airport? Or do QR have a ticket office in town? Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.