Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
'Extending Our Commitment' policy has ended as of Oct 1st 2022.
Please see 'Schedule Change' policy below.

Web Version PDF Version

Important: Read the disclaimers and changes below before reading the policy.

Disclaimers:
  • The version of the policy at the time of change applies.*
  • This document was made for viewing by travel agents, not passengers.
  • You must call in to make the changes to your ticket since fees are waived manually.
  • This policy is in addition to the fare rules of your ticket.
  • Conditions of Carriage still apply.
  • It is expected that there will be more changes to the policy in the future and Qatar Airways can amend the policy without prior notice.
*You are welcome to pursue legal action with QR and prove this wrong. We are merely warning you what will happen when you call in and perform a change.
ALL TIMES/DATES IN DOHA TIME (GMT+3)

Wiki maintained by realgaga
Print Wikipost

Covid-19: Book with Confidence QR Policy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by MOZBOB
Having exactly the same, requested a voucher on the 4th to immediately re-use. Last time I did this, the voucher was issued within minutes after the call to request, although technically they say 7 days. Want to use the funds for a new reservation on 19th and P-class seats seem to sell out with only 2 left on my preferred date, according to their website. They have no means to fast-track the voucher and aren’t willing to hold a booking until the voucher is issued. Social media team redirects me to contact center and there they’re not able/willing to help.
i understand they advertised their processing times clearly, though a bit of creativity or flexibility to help would have been appreciated.
I was just in a similar situation and purchased the new booking outright, figuring I'll use the voucher for something else. It's not like I won't be flying QR after the next trip.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Schwann
There was a new BWC issued on 31st, taking effect yesterday (1st Jan 2022) with the BWC policy extended until 30th September 2022.
Good to see, it allows us to hope a Euro summer trip may be possible!
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:28 am

Planning to purchase Classic Fare business class seats for my family of 5. If plans dont push through, I will probably take the +10% voucher option.

1. Can I "bank" the full amount of the voucher and use it over several bookings or is it a one-time use voucher with any "leftover value" disappearing after first usage. I want to see if I can use the whole voucher as a personal "wallet" that I can utilize in portions over the next 2 years for myself instead.

2. What's the turnaround time on receiveing the +10% vouchers these days?

3. Aside from losing out on interest, are there any issues with booking two different trips on identical dates for the same people? With quarantine restrictions constalntly changing, I was thinking of having a backup destination booked in case first choice destination tightens up, then just refunding the unused itinerary.

Much thanks to the community. Will surely contribute back my data points as I find out more.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by otakuph
Planning to purchase Classic Fare business class seats for my family of 5. If plans dont push through, I will probably take the +10% voucher option.

1. Can I "bank" the full amount of the voucher and use it over several bookings or is it a one-time use voucher with any "leftover value" disappearing after first usage. I want to see if I can use the whole voucher as a personal "wallet" that I can utilize in portions over the next 2 years for myself instead.

3. Aside from losing out on interest, are there any issues with booking two different trips on identical dates for the same people? With quarantine restrictions constalntly changing, I was thinking of having a backup destination booked in case first choice destination tightens up, then just refunding the unused itinerary.

Much thanks to the community. Will surely contribute back my data points as I find out more.
It took several weeks for my voucher to be issued, and it was never sent by email (which the agent had said it would be), it was only when calling about a different booking a few months later, when I asked the agent, that I learned they'd been issued.

In my experience, QR is quite aggressive about cancelling duplicate bookings, so I would suggest not booking flights that a computer can detect you wouldn't be able to fly.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 1:37 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by otakuph

1. You can get what is called a split EMD with the residual value stored which occurs if the price of your ticket is less than the amount on your voucher/EMD. Split EMDs can't be refunded into the original form of payment.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 5:35 pm

I cant seem to find the +10% voucher option in the pdf (v6.1 in this thread's wiki). Is this no longer being offered in the new policy or is there separate documentation for this option?
Old Jan 12, 2022, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by jjgrill52
I cant seem to find the +10% voucher option in the pdf (v6.1 in this thread's wiki). Is this no longer being offered in the new policy or is there separate documentation for this option?
It had been removed from the policy, but some agents would do it on request. However, it has reappeared in their most recent policy update:

Book on qatarairways.com or our mobile app, and you can exchange your ticket for a voucher with 10% more value.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 6:30 am

Thanks Anabolism.

Another quick question. Are these +10% vouchers tied permanently to the passenger names on the original booked tickets? Or is it a lump sum voucher that can be used and reassigned freely by whoever paid for the original tickets?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by jjgrill52
Thanks Anabolism.

Another quick question. Are these +10% vouchers tied permanently to the passenger names on the original booked tickets? Or is it a lump sum voucher that can be used and reassigned freely by whoever paid for the original tickets?
The 'vouchers' are actually EMDs and are tied to the names of each passenger and are not transferrable.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 5:36 pm

Good success story with book-confidence policy, hopefully this shows people how much you can push the agents under today's policy (Jan 2021) - in short, if any changes/cancellations result in your ticket to be in UN status (unticketed, needs reissue), then you can still basically leave/return from the same country and change dates without any fare difference.
  • Feb 2021: There was alaska airlines joining one-world $500 off promo, and height of covid, so I got R-class business fare from JFK-Islamabad (Pakistan) roundtrip, for about $2000 all-in. Travel in September 2021
  • Mar 2021: Slight schedule changes, called and convinced them to change my flight leaving the same country, so from Seattle - Islamabad, instead of jfk - islamabad (I think newyork had some quarantine rules so i said that covid-quarantine rule qualifies for a change)
  • August 2021: Delta variant, qatar briefly cancelled some flights (including mine) and then re-added them back to the schedule with different flight number, but the flight cancellation put my ticket in UN status (unticketed). Pakistan had a covid-test-on-arrival policy so I just sat on the open ticket hoping for the best.

Now I kept waiting and saw book with confidence timeline extend from Dec 2021, to March 2022, to May 2022, and now finally Sept 2022. Meanwhile qatar introduced p-fares, making r-fares slightly better.

Today I called, and asked that instead of a roundtrip, can I please have open-jaw from Seattle-Islamabad / return Karachi-Seattle, in r-business class. Current retail cost of this ticket is like $7000.

Was able to make the change without any pushback, the agent just needed to ensure that my ticket is in UN status and that i'm still leaving/arriving from same countries. And ofcourse I still have the option to cancel with full refund if needed since travel is before Sept 2022.
lifeonthego_k likes this.

Last edited by nomiiiii; Jan 13, 2022 at 5:45 pm
Old Jan 14, 2022, 5:46 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chinhk
Hi,
Anyone knows what's the processing time for a full refund (to original form of payment)? I've done it online via 'My Trip' and got a confirmation page to indicate ticket been cancelled/refunded. However, no email received to say ticket is cancelled/refunded.
Called for a full refund on Jan 8th. Agent confirms no email will be sent out and quoted 28 business days. Refund received on credit card Jan 14th.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by a330marcus
Called for a full refund on Jan 8th. Agent confirms no email will be sent out and quoted 28 business days. Refund received on credit card Jan 14th.
Considering getting a refund for my ticket I booked recently due to Omicron craziness at the destination. Wondering if I will get some kind of proof that a full refund was offered so that I have something as evidence as well if the airline turns around and says too bad you lost everything by cancelling it as it's non-refundable. Perhaps I can do a screen cap?
Old Jan 19, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Ticket with stopover

~6 months ago I booked LIH-SEA (long stopover), SEA-DOH-BOM, BOM-DOH-SEA-SNA. There have been lots of schedule changes (I never called in/accepted anything) and the reservation has some impossible flights now. I'm hoping to get a good idea of options so I can have ideal itineraries on hand when calling.

Can I change the stopover destination (e.g. LIH-SEA -> LIH-PDX)? Or is that limited to origin/destination of the entire trip? Is that limited to the current 500 mile rule (e.g. is LIH-LAX an option)?

The first flight is in a few days. I'm worried that I will fly the first part (e.g. LIH-SEA) and then something will change in the weeks before continuing to DOH and I will need to partially refund. How can I get a rough idea of the refund amount? (fare calculation removed)

Last edited by Quail; Jan 22, 2022 at 8:31 pm Reason: remove fare calculation
Old Jan 19, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
A few weeks ago I had to cancel a trip due to my mom and brother unexpectedly passing away. It took many attempts for me to get this itinerary to cancel online but I did finally get a cancellation email and verification of the refund amount. I know that I probably would have been best off calling when I couldn't immediately get the trip to cancel but I was in absolutely no condition to do so. This trip had been booked with a voucher from a previously canceled trip and I selected that I was ok having it returned as a voucher. Last time the voucher was issued almost immediately. This time I have seen nothing after a few weeks. I did try to call just to see if they could verify that this would indeed be reissued as a voucher or if for some reason it was going to go back to a credit card; they couldn't answer those questions. I tried to ask Twitter for help but they just told me to call. I couldn't care less whether they reissue this as a voucher or to my card I just want to be sure that some form of refund will come as these were business class tickets and thus it was not a small amount. To be honest, I am emotionally drained and just can't keep calling over and over as it is just hard for me to speak with people right now...especially if the phone call is frustrating. Does anyone know of an electronic means that would be good to use to try to get an answer from Qatar (even if that method takes them some time to respond- I can be patient)? Or has anyone had experience with getting a refund from a trip that was already booked with a voucher so I can have an idea what to expect (were you reissued a new voucher or was the original voucher just reinstated and what was the timeline)?
Old Jan 19, 2022, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Brooke.E
A few weeks ago I had to cancel a trip due to my mom and brother unexpectedly passing away. It took many attempts for me to get this itinerary to cancel online but I did finally get a cancellation email and verification of the refund amount. I know that I probably would have been best off calling when I couldn't immediately get the trip to cancel but I was in absolutely no condition to do so. This trip had been booked with a voucher from a previously canceled trip and I selected that I was ok having it returned as a voucher. Last time the voucher was issued almost immediately. This time I have seen nothing after a few weeks. I did try to call just to see if they could verify that this would indeed be reissued as a voucher or if for some reason it was going to go back to a credit card; they couldn't answer those questions. I tried to ask Twitter for help but they just told me to call. I couldn't care less whether they reissue this as a voucher or to my card I just want to be sure that some form of refund will come as these were business class tickets and thus it was not a small amount. To be honest, I am emotionally drained and just can't keep calling over and over as it is just hard for me to speak with people right now...especially if the phone call is frustrating. Does anyone know of an electronic means that would be good to use to try to get an answer from Qatar (even if that method takes them some time to respond- I can be patient)? Or has anyone had experience with getting a refund from a trip that was already booked with a voucher so I can have an idea what to expect (were you reissued a new voucher or was the original voucher just reinstated and what was the timeline)?
Try DM goingplacestogether who has been an absolute lifesaver for me.
Brooke.E likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.