Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
'Extending Our Commitment' policy has ended as of Oct 1st 2022.
Please see 'Schedule Change' policy below.

Web Version PDF Version

Important: Read the disclaimers and changes below before reading the policy.

Disclaimers:
  • The version of the policy at the time of change applies.*
  • This document was made for viewing by travel agents, not passengers.
  • You must call in to make the changes to your ticket since fees are waived manually.
  • This policy is in addition to the fare rules of your ticket.
  • Conditions of Carriage still apply.
  • It is expected that there will be more changes to the policy in the future and Qatar Airways can amend the policy without prior notice.
*You are welcome to pursue legal action with QR and prove this wrong. We are merely warning you what will happen when you call in and perform a change.
ALL TIMES/DATES IN DOHA TIME (GMT+3)

Wiki maintained by realgaga
Print Wikipost

Covid-19: Book with Confidence QR Policy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2021, 4:26 am

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Obviously, when QR introduced a very/too generous rebooking policy and people took advantage of that so save money (I call it abuse) QR had no option than to close that loophole again. The policy was too good to be true IMO:
The policies were consistent with highly adverse conditions for flying. As those conditions ease, so have/will the T@Cs.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by LukeO9
I wouldn't call the inclusion of involuntary impacts such as changes to entry restrictions or quarantines into involuntary changes as a courtesy. Rather, just simply the incorporation of things involuntary.
This rather weird term "as a courtesy" has been adopted by some. In fact, it was QR's published policy: not an ex gratia favour granted on whim.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
This rather weird term "as a courtesy" has been adopted by some. In fact, it was QR's published policy: not an ex gratia favour granted on whim.
Qatar Airways themselves use the term 'as a courtesy' to describe certain services that they offer for the convenience of passengers, such as the entry requirements checker.

QR was nice enough to include being inadmissible to the destination as an involuntary change, even though they weren't obligated to.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by realgaga
Qatar Airways themselves use the term 'as a courtesy' to describe certain services that they offer for the convenience of passengers, such as the entry requirements checker.

QR was nice enough to include being inadmissible to the destination as an involuntary change, even though they weren't obligated to.

For a time its rules around entry restrictions made commercial sense. When they decided the commercial advantage was no longer there, they changed the rules. So much for courtesy

The airline is not obliged to present or offer many of the contractual conditions and services it offers. It does so not out of kindness, but because it makes commercial sense.

It was not obliged to extend my Platinum membership. It did so not out of kindness, not as a courtesy, but because it made commercial sense

It is not obliged to refuse certain of its business-class passengers use its lounges. It does so not out of discourtesy, unkindness or spite: it does so because it makes some kind of commercial sense to its marketing and revenue gurus.
cheltzel and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
The problem with this is that there would be many people abusing this and booking cheaper dates and routes and changing it to more expensive ones which would be a loss for QR.
QR was one of the rare airlines that allowed this in the first stages of the pandemic but after many people trying to benefit from the policy ( eg. purchasing PHL-DOH-KBP tickets and converting it to LAX-DOH-MLE, etc... ) they stopped that.
Changing dates is one thing, and would seem easily justifiable when a country has an entry restriction: the route can't be flown on the dates booked, so later dates would save the trip. Changing origination and/or destination is entirely different. DFW-DOH-SIN in September and DFW-DOH-SIN four months later are the same trip, just different dates. PHL-DOH-KBP and LAX-DOH-MLE are two very different trips.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Obviously, when QR introduced a very/too generous rebooking policy and people took advantage of that so save money (I call it abuse) QR had no option than to close that loophole again. The policy was too good to be true IMO:
Allowing a free change from PHL-DOH-KBP to LAX-DOH-MLE is ripe for abuse. That doesn't seem to be the case for a free change in dates without a change in route when the passengers wouldn't be allowed in to the destination country on the flight dates.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 1:34 am

I'm an infrequent traveler and trying to interpret the refund policy. Does it mean that if I booked a ticket, never showed up to the airport and didn't fly, and then requested a refund after departure, a refund would still be granted? Or if I requested a refund just an hour before my flight's departure (and didn't fly), it would be granted?

Last edited by Corgent; Sep 6, 2021 at 1:57 am
Old Sep 6, 2021, 4:00 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by Corgent
I'm an infrequent traveler and trying to interpret the refund policy. Does it mean that if I booked a ticket, never showed up to the airport and didn't fly, and then requested a refund after departure, a refund would still be granted? Or if I requested a refund just an hour before my flight's departure (and didn't fly), it would be granted?
You have to request a refund not less than 1 hour before departure to benefit from the EOC policy, otherwise you'll be counted as a no show.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by realgaga
You have to request a refund not less than 1 hour before departure to benefit from the EOC policy, otherwise you'll be counted as a no show.
Thanks. So in my case, I am wanting to purchase a ticket for my wife who is trying to fly out of the Philippines. But there is a risk of her being "offloaded" by immigration for arbitrary reasons as it is difficult for Filipino citizens to leave the country without meeting a host of requirements. I am trying to minimize financial risk in the event she is offloaded. It sounds like if she was offloaded, and I had tickets through Qatar Airways, I could request a refund as long as the departure time is still more than one hour away, and my money would be safely returned. I would be very appreciative if anyone could point out any flaws in this plan because I have limited knowledge of airline policy.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Corgent
Thanks. So in my case, I am wanting to purchase a ticket for my wife who is trying to fly out of the Philippines. But there is a risk of her being "offloaded" by immigration for arbitrary reasons as it is difficult for Filipino citizens to leave the country without meeting a host of requirements. I am trying to minimize financial risk in the event she is offloaded. It sounds like if she was offloaded, and I had tickets through Qatar Airways, I could request a refund as long as the departure time is still more than one hour away, and my money would be safely returned. I would be very appreciative if anyone could point out any flaws in this plan because I have limited knowledge of airline policy.
I don't have familiarity with being offloaded, but it seems similar to being denied boarding due to a passport or visa issue, which are situations that occur from time to time. My recollection is that QR policy allows the ticket to be rebooked at a later date in such cases, but my recollection could be faulty. If it can be rebooked, I would think you could still get a refund by cancelling before the new dates.

Last edited by anabolism; Sep 7, 2021 at 10:25 am
Old Sep 7, 2021, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by rockyHouse
Thanks, I was contacted by goingplacestogether too, and gave my details. Keeping flingers crossed, but no sign of refund or no update yet.
Just closing the loop and reporting back that I did get 100% of the fare refunded to my credit card. It took 7+ weeks and a bit of anxiety, but it did work out in the end.
@goingplacestogether, Thanks for your help, and a suggestion: It is completely black box after the refund request is sent ( the phone call officers have no visibility of the process) nor do the customer gets any email on status. I understand it can take time, but some update like position in processing queue and ETA would have been good and reduced some anxiety.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
My SEA-DOH-PNH got cancelled again in January... ugh. ISTFlyer Do you know why? Did QR stop service to there, or change the dates or what? Last time people informed me what happened with PNH service. Any help or things about why this routing was canceled I would appreciate it.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
My SEA-DOH-PNH got cancelled again in January... ugh. ISTFlyer Do you know why? Did QR stop service to there, or change the dates or what? Last time people informed me what happened with PNH service. Any help or things about why this routing was canceled I would appreciate it.
Because there is no demand for Phnom Penh as international arrivals to Cambodia require a 14 day quarantine.
Service to PNH is scheduled to resume on 27 March 2022 but still this date could change.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 10:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Because there is no demand for Phnom Penh as international arrivals to Cambodia require a 14 day quarantine.
Service to PNH is scheduled to resume on 27 March 2022 but still this date could change.
Here we go again... Thanks ISTFlyer to the rescue again.

ISTFlyer what should I do? This is the third time I’ve been cancelled to PNH? I know the world is upside down, but should I ask for another destination?
ISTFlyer likes this.

Last edited by NWplatinum; Sep 10, 2021 at 3:47 am
Old Sep 10, 2021, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
It's pretty clear what happened to the route. The country is virtually closed, there is little passenger traffic. Passengers permitted to enter the country should be able to get to Phnom Penh via a number of connecting points, many of them QR destinations, later this year. I think Singapore currently has daily flights between SIN and PNH.

From what I remember from your posts, you are planning to spend only a few days in Cambodia. It is easy, and very cheap, to get there from neighbouring countries by plane or bus. Phnom Penh is a simple and comfortable 6 hour bus ride from Saigon, a little less simple, and somewhat longer, from Bangkok. Air Asia, Jetstar and friends keep the air fares low, even from Singapore.

Canby's information maybe outdated by the current crisis, but it remains the most comprehensive source of information on Cambodia travel: Cambodia | Overland Travel and International Border Crossings

So maybe book for Bangkok, Phuket, Saigon, Hanoi or Singapore ..... then keep your fingers crossed those countries are "open" by the date of you flight. If Cambodia is then receiving visitors, just make a side trip.

The other alternative I strongly suggest you consider is to take advantage of the opportunity to cash in your ticket!
ISTFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.