Old May 14, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
'Extending Our Commitment' policy has ended as of Oct 1st 2022.
Please see 'Schedule Change' policy below.

Web Version PDF Version

Important: Read the disclaimers and changes below before reading the policy.

Disclaimers:
  • The version of the policy at the time of change applies.*
  • This document was made for viewing by travel agents, not passengers.
  • You must call in to make the changes to your ticket since fees are waived manually.
  • This policy is in addition to the fare rules of your ticket.
  • Conditions of Carriage still apply.
  • It is expected that there will be more changes to the policy in the future and Qatar Airways can amend the policy without prior notice.
*You are welcome to pursue legal action with QR and prove this wrong. We are merely warning you what will happen when you call in and perform a change.
ALL TIMES/DATES IN DOHA TIME (GMT+3)

Wiki maintained by realgaga
Print Wikipost

Covid-19: Book with Confidence QR Policy

Old Mar 13, 2021, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Hi

I have just come back from a trip with Qatar and used the book with confidence policy to make it work. All perfect in the end.

I am now looking at booking a good J fare in February 2022. Now I can see that the book with confidence policy only covers changes etc free up to the end of 2021. But from my understanding of the policy the refund waiver would still apply as it applies to all tickets issued prior to 30 April21.

Can anyone clarify that this is the case just incase borders are still shut in Asia next year. Route incase required is LHR BKK // SIN LHR

Thanks for any assistance.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Neilgcal
Hi

I have just come back from a trip with Qatar and used the book with confidence policy to make it work. All perfect in the end.

I am now looking at booking a good J fare in February 2022. Now I can see that the book with confidence policy only covers changes etc free up to the end of 2021. But from my understanding of the policy the refund waiver would still apply as it applies to all tickets issued prior to 30 April21.

Can anyone clarify that this is the case just incase borders are still shut in Asia next year. Route incase required is LHR BKK // SIN LHR

Thanks for any assistance.
Yes but do keep in mind the policy changes just about every month right now so what is in place now may not necessarily be when you want to use it.... It's a customer service policy only so not binding.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by flashware
Yes but do keep in mind the policy changes just about every month right now so what is in place now may not necessarily be when you want to use it.... It's a customer service policy only so not binding.
I agree that the policy changes would not be binding for those tickets which were purchased prior to the implementation of the policy. After all, people purchased those tickets with the expectation that they could only get refunds as provided in the fare rules.

But when you advertise the ability to get fee-free refunds in order to induce the sale of new tickets, it becomes binding for those tickets. The current policy has no time period limitation for getting a refund (e.g., to qualify for a fee-free refund you must cancel before December 31, 2021). The only requirement is that the ticket be issued before April 30th and that you cancel a few hours before your scheduled flight.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Executive club
Hi everyone,

Firstly, apologies if this is really simple, or has already been covered, but I am a bit confused! My first time posting in the Qatar forum - I normally book with BA, and understand their book with confidence policy, but I am seeking some clarification of the Qatar policy.

I am trying to plan my honeymoon, and have been looking at flights from Budapest - Bangkok out 17 December 21, return 02 Jan 22. There is a very good business class fare available.

As this is past 31 December, the ‘travel must be completed by’ date specified in the policy online, what would my options be if we were unable to travel to Hungary or to Thailand by then? Would we still be able to rebook and / or obtain a refund in this case?

I would be really grateful of any advice. This would be my first booking with Qatar, and my first ex-EU, so I want to avoid any pitfalls!

many thanks,

Chris
Old Mar 13, 2021, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Chrisnichols
Hi everyone,

Firstly, apologies if this is really simple, or has already been covered, but I am a bit confused! My first time posting in the Qatar forum - I normally book with BA, and understand their book with confidence policy, but I am seeking some clarification of the Qatar policy.

I am trying to plan my honeymoon, and have been looking at flights from Budapest - Bangkok out 17 December 21, return 02 Jan 22. There is a very good business class fare available.

As this is past 31 December, the ‘travel must be completed by’ date specified in the policy online, what would my options be if we were unable to travel to Hungary or to Thailand by then? Would we still be able to rebook and / or obtain a refund in this case?

I would be really grateful of any advice. This would be my first booking with Qatar, and my first ex-EU, so I want to avoid any pitfalls!

many thanks,

Chris
I'd strongly advise against an ex-EU flight, especially at that time of year. There's so much unknown still and you cannot guarantee anything. I wouldn't risk it. That's coming from someone who usually does 3 or 4 ex-EU a year.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 3:46 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Hi everyone,

many thanks,

Chris
Under the current policy (it will have further changes in the future), if you choose to cancel you're allowed

- A refund to the original form of payment with the no show penalty and refund penalty waived if cancelled at least 1h before departure; OR
- A voucher with the remaining value of your ticket and an additional non-refundable 10% value
Old Mar 13, 2021, 4:33 pm

Thank you for the replies.

I appreciate that an ex-eu carries some risks.... but I was trying to establish more what rights I would have around cancellation - I.e if my travel ends after 31 December, then will I still be able to request a refund under the current book with confidence policy if I’m unable to travel at that date
Old Mar 13, 2021, 4:34 pm

My main concern is that the return flight falls after 31December
Old Mar 13, 2021, 5:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar
Originally Posted by realgaga
Under the current policy (it will have further changes in the future), if you choose to cancel you're allowed

- A refund to the original form of payment with the no show penalty and refund penalty waived if cancelled at least 1h before departure; OR
- A voucher with the remaining value of your ticket and an additional non-refundable 10% value
I don't see any wording about vouchers in the new policy? Do you mean the ticket can be kept open? The 10% additional value is the old policy?

My main concern is that the return flight falls after 31December
The latest policy doc in the wiki seems to have pre end of 2021 as a condition for waiving change fees, but I can't see any text that mentions date conditions for waiving the refund fee.
Worth calling QR or hopefully someone here can confirm. But as others have said the policy has changed so many times. You would need the EU and Thailand to be open OR hope that the latest QR policy down the road was still favourable :/
Old Mar 13, 2021, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Newbtravelle
I don't see any wording about vouchers in the new policy? Do you mean the ticket can be kept open? The 10% additional value is the old policy?
No I don't. If you go on qatarairways.com, the booking page still mentions that tickets can be converted/refunded as vouchers with 10% extra credit.
Newbtravelle likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 12:06 pm

Thanks everyone. I’ll try to give them a call to clarify 👍
Old Mar 14, 2021, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
This is not a good idea.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by flashware
This is confusing. If I book today and the policy changes in April, I presume I will be able to avail of this fee free refund policy? Or, will the policy change retroactively? That doesn't make sense.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by deepakvrao
This is confusing. If I book today and the policy changes in April, I presume I will be able to avail of this fee free refund policy? Or, will the policy change retroactively? That doesn't make sense.
As stated in the wiki section of this thread, the policy at the time of change/refund applies.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 8:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
Originally Posted by realgaga
As stated in the wiki section of this thread, the policy at the time of change/refund applies.
I don't think that is correct. If I buy a ticket today because Qatar currently states that I will be able to get a refund on that ticket any time up until December 31st, then that statement will form part of my agreement with Qatar, and cannot be revoked if a later version of the TWC policy no longer includes this statement. This is the same point that was made by dc10forlife upthread, but what you're saying seems to contradict this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.