Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

HKG Flights Changed From B77W to A359/B788 Next 2 Weeks (Feb17-Mar1)

Old Feb 15, 20, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ Krisflyer Gold / Hilton Hhonour Diamond / Starwood SPG Gold / CX Former Gold, now Green

Hi all,

I am booked on QR815 from HKG-DOH on Feb22.

HKG has always been served by B77W with QSuite. But when I check Expert Flyer, they changed both daily flights from B77W to either A359 or B787 for next two weeks between Feb17-Mar1.

So, my QSuite experience will be gone unfortunately... Probably it is the fact that the demand had been dropped a lot due to the virus recently. They therefore wish to send a slightly smaller plane...

For everyone’s reference only, especially those of you taking QR flights in next couple of weeks~
Old Feb 15, 20, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by CX100Silver View Post
Hi all,

I am booked on QR815 from HKG-DOH on Feb22.

HKG has always been served by B77W with QSuite. But when I check Expert Flyer, they changed both daily flights from B77W to either A359 or B787 for next two weeks between Feb17-Mar1.

So, my QSuite experience will be gone unfortunately... Probably it is the fact that the demand had been dropped a lot due to the virus recently. They therefore wish to send a slightly smaller plane...

For everyone’s reference only, especially those of you taking QR flights in next couple of weeks~
on our travel day it was reduced from 3 to1 and btw it's a 788 not 789!
Old Feb 16, 20, 1:30 am

They cancelled my QR818 tomorrow. They automaticallly put me on QR816. Now I have a 9 hour layover in DOH. ....... Am I entitled to this free transit hotel then? And would they rebook to BA or CX if I'd call them?
Old Feb 16, 20, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
on our travel day it was reduced from 3 to1 and btw it's a 788 not 789!
Sorry, what do you mean by 3 to 1?

BTW: Qsuite was far from assured on the HKG 77Ws route (I would say 50% at most).
Old Feb 16, 20, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
So, my QSuite experience will be gone unfortunately...
Even without the Coronavirus scare - QSuites on QR are always a lottery whether you get it or not.
Old Feb 16, 20, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HKG is a final destination for most QR pax, and I doubt that there is much of market today.
I looked at the loads over the next two weeks. The loads are very very light to say the least. And QR now offer free rebooking to most Asian destinations.
I doubt that QR will keep its two daily unless the situation improves.
Old Feb 17, 20, 1:41 pm

I believe there was a thread where someone proved with a screenshot from QR that if you were originally booked on to qsuites but the equipment was subsequently swapped out then QR will re-book you for free onto another qsuite flight.

I cant recall if it had to be the same day or not for departure.

And if they’re not flying qsuites on your route for 2 weeks solid then chances are a change wouldn’t matter for you.
Old Feb 17, 20, 1:45 pm

Found it. Here you go!
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 20, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
Sorry, what do you mean by 3 to 1?

BTW: Qsuite was far from assured on the HKG 77Ws route (I would say 50% at most).
Our travel day was due to have 3 flights, it was taken down to 2 for the period, then to one flight only on our travel day. I was not talking about QSuites or not but about the sheer number of flights which forced us to a very inconvenient rerouting.
Old Feb 18, 20, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by brunos View Post
HKG is a final destination for most QR pax, and I doubt that there is much of market today.
I looked at the loads over the next two weeks. The loads are very very light to say the least. And QR now offer free rebooking to most Asian destinations.
I doubt that QR will keep its two daily unless the situation improves.
Quite interested about the loading of those 2 flights before the virus indeed...

Also I am wonder if it is the cargo demand that still support 2 daily passenger flights for now?
Old Feb 18, 20, 2:32 am

Our travel day was due to have 3 flights, it was taken down to 2 for the period, then to one flight only on our travel day. I was not talking about QSuites or not but about the sheer number of flights which forced us to a very inconvenient rerouting.
When did they have 3 passenger flights on the HKG-DOH route

Originally Posted by im359 View Post
Quite interested about the loading of those 2 flights before the virus indeed...

Also I am wonder if it is the cargo demand that still support 2 daily passenger flights for now?
So far on most days they have 2 daily flights loaded and did operate them. On February 17 QR818 was cancelled and on February 20 it is not bookable anymore. Since they have made aircraft changes, it seems as they are planning to operate 2 per day, but cut one on a short notice if loads get too low...

On a recent HKG-DOH I counted about 30 passengers. I returned yesterday on QR816, which was the only flight per day. I noticed a passenger in front of me had sequence number 70ish, on board at least a few passengers in every row, so probably ~100 passengers on the entire flight.

Maybe the loads are recovering a bit...
Old Feb 18, 20, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you mean that HKG-DOH had three flights, that has never been the case. But they seem to be down to one in the current days, and either QR815 or 817.
Old Feb 19, 20, 9:48 am

Looks like QR818 for 20 Feb has also been cancelled as shown in FR24
Old Feb 21, 20, 8:31 am

Programs: AC,CX,KE,EK / IHG Spire, 1865 Gateway
I'm keeping my fingers crossed, am flying on QR817 on 31/3

Last edited by manucanuck; Feb 27, 20 at 2:49 am
Old Feb 21, 20, 10:25 am

I’m currently booked on ARN-DOH-HKG return, departing and returning in May.

3 out of 4 legs each way are due to be in Qsuites.

If these schedule changes continue into May, and 777-300ER are replaced with something like a 787-8, given that Qatar will allow you to change or refund a confirmed squire segment which is downgraded to be non-qsuite... I’m assuming they’d allow me to cancel for a refund without charges my WHOLE itinerary, right??

Search this Thread
Search Engine: