Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

HKG Flights Changed From B77W to A359/B788 Next 2 Weeks (Feb17-Mar1)

HKG Flights Changed From B77W to A359/B788 Next 2 Weeks (Feb17-Mar1)

Old Mar 6, 20, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
we flew with wifey into HKG yesterday on QR818. QR816 was cancelled.
J was supposed to be half full. An infant sat in the row in front, so we asked to be moved and the purser asked some QR staff to switch seats. When door closed a woman with three young kids sat in the last row just behind us. So they switched us with another QR staff in the middle of the plane.
I felt sorry for creating a little disturbance, but the purser was very understanding (we paid full fare one way) and everything was smooth and took 5 minutes. She explained that the staff was going to fly back a QR815 and was supposed to be manning the QR816 DOH-HKG that day. They were quite happy to fly J rather than serving a flight.
But that felt weird to fly a full cabin to HKG.

Again wonderful flights from Europe to HKG. I am used to BA F and QR J makes me as happy, if not more. Wines and service are significantly better than BA F.
Old Mar 7, 20, 4:29 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, TK Silver, IHG Platinum, MR Gold, HH Gold, A-Club Silver, Hertz PC
Looks like there will be one of the two flights cancelled to HKG every day in April too... And my QR816 from May 1st was just swapped from a QSuite 773 to a 788 (non Q-suite)
Old Mar 7, 20, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by palmanfr View Post
Looks like there will be one of the two flights cancelled to HKG every day in April too... And my QR816 from May 1st was just swapped from a QSuite 773 to a 788 (non Q-suite)
I wonder why there is no email notification to me on the change of aircraft...
Old Mar 8, 20, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Silver
I have just noticed that my flight from Stockholm to Hong Kong has been changed. It now has a 20 hour layover in Doha instead of 2 hours. My final destination is Manila do you think that they would be kind enough to alter my destination so that I could fly direct from Doha to Manila to avoid the inconvenience.
Old Mar 8, 20, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by heb999 View Post
I have just noticed that my flight from Stockholm to Hong Kong has been changed. It now has a 20 hour layover in Doha instead of 2 hours. My final destination is Manila do you think that they would be kind enough to alter my destination so that I could fly direct from Doha to Manila to avoid the inconvenience.
I had a similar issue some weeks ago, got rebooked from the 0200 to the 0845 flight. Called them and they didn't want to rebook to another airline, and for Qatar flights only within 500 miles from HKG.
I think there are no Qatar destinations within that range from HKG. I don't know if they would rebook you to TPE if you enquire.
Old Mar 8, 20, 5:42 am

In fact the decision of cancelling QR816 instead of QR818 makes me puzzled.
Cancelling the 2am departure only makes the layover for 6 hours longer (take 8am flight instead), but vice versa makes the layover to 20 hours or more (8am becomes 2am of the next day).
Old Mar 8, 20, 5:52 am

I am presently in the US waiting for the Qatar Airways call centre to open. I they do not let me change my destination would I be eligible for a hotel in Doha with this 20 hour layover.
Old Mar 8, 20, 6:33 am

I did get one. MUC-DOH-HKG, flight cancellation extended layover to above 8 hours, they sent me to the Oryx Rotana. I don't know if it always happens or if that was just due to the fact that it was an ex-EU flight.
But when calling them it was not guaranteed, based on availability. However, I would assume that there is always some availability in one of their Hotels in DOH.
Old Mar 8, 20, 7:37 am

I contacted the call centre in the US and the agent was very unhelpful with regard to change of destination and offer of a hotel.
Old Mar 8, 20, 8:02 am

What ticket do you have? Above a certain ticket price and booking class, you are automatically able for a Hotel. And even if not, it appears that there is a standard procedure to give people accommodation due to a schedule change.

If you can't get anything organized now, you can just stop by the transfer accommodation counter right after the transit security and they probably provide you with a hotel. This is what I have been told by the call center actually.
Old Mar 8, 20, 8:22 am

I have a ticket in Business Class but I bought it (stupidly) through a Travel Agent. Qatar Airways, when I have rung from the UK, have confirmed that I can re-book but the agent would have to do it and the agent denies this. It is a long ongoing battle. I might have to wait until 96 hours before the flight to see if the airline will do it then. Basically, I want to go to Manila but now there is a travel restriction between Hong Kong and the Philippines I would like to fly directly to Manila or via another country.
Old Mar 8, 20, 8:47 am

I think as in this wiki: The QR STPC (stopover) policy?
You definitely qualify for a free stop over hotel:
•In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
•No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
•N-class and above.
•Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.
Old Mar 8, 20, 9:12 am

Thanks for the information. I am still hoping that I will be able to change my flights direct to Manila and avoid the long layover.
Old Mar 8, 20, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
I have a ticket in Business Class but I bought it (stupidly) through a Travel Agent. Qatar Airways, when I have rung from the UK, have confirmed that I can re-book but the agent would have to do it and the agent denies this. It is a long ongoing battle. I might have to wait until 96 hours before the flight to see if the airline will do it then. Basically, I want to go to Manila but now there is a travel restriction between Hong Kong and the Philippines I would like to fly directly to Manila or via another country.
TAs are suffering and they tend to be unhelpful and stick to the rules.
Since you depart from ARN, you could get a full refund (minus the TA fees) and buy another ticket if you insist on going to MNL.
Unless you are a Filipino, you will have a tough time entering the country if you transit via HKG.

BTW: I am surprised by your 20h layover. There are 2 or 3 flights from ARN, so QR could reschedule you on a more convenient ARN-DOH flight.
Old Mar 8, 20, 2:58 pm

Thanks for your help. My first choice would be to fly to Manila, as I already have accommodation in the Philippines booked. My second choice would be to fly to another Asian city from where I could fly to Manila and my last choice would be to fly to Hong Kong and take your advice and move to flights which have a shorter layover in Hong Kong and then fly to a beach destination from there and delay our Philippine holiday until next year. I will keep trying.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: