Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Flights to China / Coronavirus / Travel Waivers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights to China / Coronavirus / Travel Waivers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mucaari
As by the above stated policy no.

Rebook to:

Could probably try to get to BKK,SIN or KUL and then continue to the Philippines...
Thanks. I rang Qatar who seemed happy for me to re-route to Manila but as I had booked the ticket through an agent I had to ring them. The agent wants to charge me Ł1150 extra as they say my fare is in R class (the cheapest business class) and I would have to change to a higher class. Back to Qatar who say that this is not the case. I spent most of the morning going backwards and forwards between Qatar and the agent (MyTrip.com) but never got anywhere. Not sure what to do next.

Last edited by heb999; Feb 19, 2020 at 11:20 am
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by heb999
Hi. I have a holiday booked to El Nido in the Philippines. My original itinerary was ARN-HKG on the 23rd March, stay in Hong Kong for three nights and then fly to Manila on the 27th March. My Cebu Pacific flight from Hong Kong to Manila has already been cancelled. I re-booked Cathay Pacific using my BAEC Avios points but have now seen that the Philippine authorities are not allowing passengers to enter from Hong Kong even if they have just been in transit up until the 28th March at the earliest.
Do you think Qatar would re-route me directly to Manila and back so that I can avoid Hong Kong. Thanks for any advice you can give.
You are caught in a trap.
You cannot deal directly with QR but with your TA. That's why I would never deal with a TA nowadays.

I am still very surprised that QR tells you that they would change your destination without cost to MNL. I see no reason why they would change your destination to MNL without fee as they do fly to HKG and there are no travel advisory for HKG. Maybe they mean that they waive the change fee, but you still have to pay the fare difference as there is no R bucket currently available. Maybe the QR phone agent was not aware that there is no R availability around your travel date.

A lot of things can change in a month. They might cancel the DOH-HKG flight, they might open R availability to MNL, Philippines could drop their restrictions on HKG transit,.etc.
I would suggest that you wait a bit to see how the situation evolves.
And maybe you might decide to cancel the whole trip.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 2:19 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by heb999
Thanks. I rang Qatar who seemed happy for me to re-route to Manila but as I had booked the ticket through an agent I had to ring them. The agent wants to charge me Ł1150 extra as they say my fare is in R class (the cheapest business class) and I would have to change to a higher class. Back to Qatar who say that this is not the case. I spent most of the morning going backwards and forwards between Qatar and the agent (MyTrip.com) but never got anywhere. Not sure what to do next.
As the previous poster says, you appear to be trapped.

There are two things I can suggest.
  • the fare you purchased via trip.com is not covered by the same rules that QR would apply for a ticket purchased directly from them, and although you are being led to be believe by QR your ticket has a waiver applicable to it, because it's purchased through a 3rd party that might not apply.
  • Get yourself on a phonecall where you can expand to a conference call. Call QR first and get an agent to confirm that your ticket has a waiver covering it and could be changed for free; then conference in trip.com and get the two people talking. The difficulty here is that trip.com agents would usually speak to travel trade B2B agents not direct customer B2C agents but this might help.
My experience of trip.com customer service is that it is usually good when dealing with Chinese airlines and other travel within the Chinese mainland, but this is the only time I have used them. From what I have read on the forum they are not so great when dealing with agents outside of China. This might be a symptom of the difficulty you are facing.

You do still have time to resolve this and as said above things may become clearer in days and weeks to come.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:54 am

Thanks for the advice. Yes, there maybe some confusion regarding fare classes etc. One lesson that I have learnt is not to use TAs in the future. I used one in this instance so that I could pay in Łs and so avoid the foreign transaction fee. I now have a card with 0% transaction fees. The hotel in the Philippines has offered to change the booking so that I can go within the next 12 months, if all else fails. If I cannot change the Qatar ticket I will still fly to HKG but then go somewhere else from there like Thailand, Vietnam etc. In the meantime I will take your invaluable advice and wait a while and see how this situation develops.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
The one thing I would add on an agent ticket is that QR can take full control of it 96 hours out (they’ve confirmed to me in writing that this is the case). In retrospect, I wasted a lot of time talking to an agent who promised to call me back within 24 hours after speaking to QR (it’s now 8 days later and I’m in Doha...). Keep calm and call back 4 days before your flight when QR can actually do something. Be polite but firm with the agent and if they outright refuse to check with a supervisor hang up and call again.
plunet likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:05 am

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Is there anyone concerned here about the coronavirus spreading rapidly in Iran and S Korea ? It is already reported to have spread to the UAE through Iran.

I don't know much about Iran-Qatar or S Korea-Qatar travel volumes etc.

How worried should I be about this ?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
Is there anyone concerned here about the coronavirus spreading rapidly in Iran and S Korea ? It is already reported to have spread to the UAE through Iran.

I don't know much about Iran-Qatar or S Korea-Qatar travel volumes etc.

How worried should I be about this ?
I can’t help but think, if we’re being realistic here, this won’t be contained. I’ve thought this since the get-go.

The world is just too inter-connected these days. But, with the fact that transmission evidently takes place before displaying symptoms - it’s so difficult to make allowances for that.

The best they can hope to do is to slow the spread whilst vaccines are developed.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Tofino87
I can’t help but think, if we’re being realistic here, this won’t be contained. I’ve thought this since the get-go.

The world is just too inter-connected these days. But, with the fact that transmission evidently takes place before displaying symptoms - it’s so difficult to make allowances for that.

The best they can hope to do is to slow the spread whilst vaccines are developed.
I would say places with good hygiene awareness / previous lesson learnt from SARS would be a bit better.

I booked a trip in April between HKG & UK via DOH.
As long as I opted to wear mask during my flights, I am worrying more on the immigration or flight cancellation.

Meanwhile, the latest travel alert shows flights suspension has been extended to March-April.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I flew last week on DOH-CDG. Most pax were coming from various Asian cities. Two Asian pax were coughing a lot and not wearing masks during the flight (only upon boarding). That got me quite worried.
Some people are not worried by Covid-19, but I am given my advanced age. Even if you fly from a relatively-safe Asian origin, you get a mix of pax using the DOH-EU QR flights.
engel001 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:22 am

We are booked onto OSL-SIN with QR.

Now my son's school have advised that any children returning from an effected area, have to self quarantine for 2 weeks after and will not be allowed into school, which is not feasible.

As we are only able to go during school holidays, it is not possible to change to another date

QR have advised that tickets are non refundable, but will allow a free of charge reroute...... but only to other effected countries. Which makes no sense at all.

Though they did advise that if we did change and flights to that country were cancelled, then we would get a full refund (or further reroute).

Faced with 2x options, just use them as a one way fare to DOH or take the reroute to the country most likely to have flights cancelled.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Arghmeinaugen

Now my son's school have advised that any children returning from an effected area, have to self quarantine for 2 weeks after and will not be allowed into school, which is not feasible.

As we are only able to go during school holidays, it is not possible to change to another date

QR have advised that tickets are non refundable, but will allow a free of charge reroute...... but only to other effected countries. Which makes no sense at all.

Though they did advise that if we did change and flights to that country were cancelled, then we would get a full refund (or further reroute).

Faced with 2x options, just use them as a one way fare to DOH or take the reroute to the country most likely to have flights cancelled.
Can they reroute you to Seoul? That would be the most obvious choice for high risk of cancellation right now.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Arghmeinaugen

Did you get an official list of affected areas according to Norway authorities ? Because if 1 case in a country means that the whole country is considered as an affected area then you can start the quarantine now as Norway has just got its first case of infection reported... ;-)
Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:49 am

Programs: Miles&More SEN; ITA Premium, Asante Gold, IHG Platinum, BAEC Bronze, Accor Silver, Radisson Premier
Has anyone had any experience with asking QR about interlining on 2 sep tickets (QR and VN in my case) in context of COVID 19? I have an OSL-BKK with QR and then connecting on separate ticket to Hanoi with VN on Apr 1, and would like to avoid entering Thailand (not over worries about virus, more over potential travel restrictions from entering Thailand, where I won't actually be staying). Over Xmas, we flew CNX-BKK (TG) and then BKK-ARN (QR) and TG had no issue adding the QR PNR to their ticket and checking luggage through the whole way from CNX. But I guess checking through with QR may be more problematic than with TG.

I know QR have an interline agreement with VN, but had assumed they wouldn't interline on sep tickets. Wondering if they may more flexible due to the virus issues. Any insight from anyone here?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver
Originally Posted by thinkingallowed
Do not have some copper leads and a mobile phone placed on top of your Christmas cake. I caused quite a lot of fuss at Manchester airport a few years ago with this. Apparently this looks extremely like a bomb
Saaw
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:34 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I’m Kuwait-based and have been out of the country for about a week, and not only has COVID-19 landed in Kuwait two days ago, but a series of gross mismanagement has now seen 43 confirmed cases sprout up in that short period. I tried calling QR several times to alter a few upcoming trips where I can skip returning to Kuwait, but they’ve been inflexible about changing anything without penalty unless a travel advisory is formally issued, at which point they can waive penalties.

Any suggested courses of action?

khabah

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.