Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Using BA Lounge at Chicago when flying Qatar J

Old Jan 22, 20, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, IHG Gold

Any experience using BA Club Lounge at Chicago when flying Qatar J? Qatar Airways website states that J passengers use Air France/KLM lounge. Technically, I should have access but I have heard that BA doesn't allow Qatar Airways J passengers in due to capacity limits? Any truth to this?
Old Jan 22, 20, 11:52 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, TK Gold, PC Platinum
If you are OW sapphire or emerald you can use the lounge. If you have no status you must use the lounge provided my QR.
Old Jan 23, 20, 12:15 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by toastedcafe View Post
If you are OW sapphire or emerald you can use the lounge. If you have no status you must use the lounge provided my QR.
I've been turned away as Emerald as well flying QR J. This lounge is somewhat notorious for not following oneworld admission rules.
chitink likes this.
Old Jan 23, 20, 3:56 am
NoY

Programs: BA Emerald, TP *A Gold, EY Gold, QR bye bye, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, Marriott Plat
You are missing nothing at the BA Lounge - it's old, windowless & somewhat depressing. The AF/KLM lounge isn't much better but at least has windows/natural light! Get to the airport as late as reasonably possible & find a decent spot to hang out in the terminal, if indeed are there any at ORD. What a dump!
Old Jan 23, 20, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson Rewards Silver, Expedia Gold
Originally Posted by MKE-MR View Post
I've been turned away as Emerald as well flying QR J. This lounge is somewhat notorious for not following oneworld admission rules.
And that goes double for the First class side (which you should get as an Emerald). Although it has windows it's quite small. To be fair, there are times when they have legitimate capacity issues. What gets me is that it seems to be an 'all time time policy.' Even when the lounge is empty, the next BA flight is some hours away, and I only need to stay for less than an hour they're still extremely reluctant to honor OW rules.
Old Jan 23, 20, 10:58 pm
NoY

Programs: BA Emerald, TP *A Gold, EY Gold, QR bye bye, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by arabiamark View Post
And that goes double for the First class side (which you should get as an Emerald). Although it has windows it's quite small. To be fair, there are times when they have legitimate capacity issues. What gets me is that it seems to be an 'all time time policy.' Even when the lounge is empty, the next BA flight is some hours away, and I only need to stay for less than an hour they're still extremely reluctant to honor OW rules.
I was refused access to the BA F Lounge ("cupboard" is perhaps more accurate) when holding a CX F ticket & being BA Gold/Emerald...
Old Jan 24, 20, 1:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, LH FTL, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NoY View Post
I was refused access to the BA F Lounge ("cupboard" is perhaps more accurate) when holding a CX F ticket & being BA Gold/Emerald...
Wow, they do not even allow their own Golds in?
I was hoping to do that as I will have the same combination (CX F + BA Gold) coming up in April.
Old Jan 24, 20, 2:58 am
NoY

Originally Posted by SirToby View Post
Wow, they do not even allow their own Golds in?
I was hoping to do that as I will have the same combination (CX F + BA Gold) coming up in April.
It wasn't busy either. The "dragon" was positively curt, borderline rude too . Seriously its a pretty crap airport for lounges - get there just in time & grab a coffee/drink elsewhere.
Old Jan 24, 20, 3:10 am

It wasn't busy either. The "dragon" was positively curt, borderline rude too . Seriously its a pretty crap airport for lounges - get there just in time & grab a coffee/drink elsewhere.
Maybe for OW. The UA Polaris Lounge was a huge and pleasant surprise for a USA located facility!
NoY likes this.
Old Jan 24, 20, 7:26 am

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson Rewards Silver, Expedia Gold
It's definitely not an ideal lounge situation, especially in T5. If you're connecting from a domestic flight from elsewhere in the US you will come out airside in T1,2 or 3. In T3 you can access the AA Flagship Lounge, which is decent as far as US carrier lounges go. I don't know how it compares to Polaris. If your origin is ORD then you won't have a boarding pass for a flight from T3. These days that seems to be ok. Numerous reports are saying that any boarding pass can get you into any terminal. The question will be how much trouble you will want to go to just for a lounge (Check in at T5, bus to T3 because the train isn't working yet, Flagship Lounge, then airside bus from T3 to T5). You would have to decide if it's worth it.
Old Jan 24, 20, 5:54 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Could be something to do with sleeper flights and meals that are served in place of a meal on board, hence needing to be a ticketholder for that class lounge. As a Gold travelling in Club, I was able to use the F lounge but had to eat in the J lounge when I last dd a flight from ORD which was quite some time ago.
Old Jan 28, 20, 8:56 pm

You are missing nothing at the BA Lounge - it's old, windowless & somewhat depressing. The AF/KLM lounge isn't much better but at least has windows/natural light! Get to the airport as late as reasonably possible & find a decent spot to hang out in the terminal, if indeed are there any at ORD. What a dump!
ORD T5 is indeed a dump! The new global terminal canít come soon enough. AA flagship lounge in T3 Is excellent if youíre willing to jump through the hoops
NoY likes this.
Old Feb 1, 20, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
Polaris lounge is way better than AA flagship, but it's also been a few years since I've been in the Polaris lounge.

We did KLM lounge on our outbound and AA flagship inbound and KLM was nothing special but at least they had real food so was a step up from a standard lounge.
Old Feb 1, 20, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Strange that they would deny access when it's not busy, as the BA lounges at ORD are the designated lounges for CX F/OWE and J/OWS passengers. At least they were when I flew a year and half ago as an OWE in J, and was denied access to both the F and J lounges because they were at capacity. The CX staff arranged for me (and a couple other passengers) to access the AF/KLM lounge. Meh.
NoY likes this.
Old Feb 2, 20, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by arabiamark View Post
It's definitely not an ideal lounge situation, especially in T5. If you're connecting from a domestic flight from elsewhere in the US you will come out airside in T1,2 or 3. In T3 you can access the AA Flagship Lounge, which is decent as far as US carrier lounges go. I don't know how it compares to Polaris. If your origin is ORD then you won't have a boarding pass for a flight from T3. These days that seems to be ok. Numerous reports are saying that any boarding pass can get you into any terminal. The question will be how much trouble you will want to go to just for a lounge (Check in at T5, bus to T3 because the train isn't working yet, Flagship Lounge, then airside bus from T3 to T5). You would have to decide if it's worth it.
Also second this. ORD lounges at T5 are abysmal. Would recommend using the AA flagship then leave the flagship a tad early to get to T5 using the post-security transfer bus from T3 to T5. It's like a 5 minute walk from Flagship to the transfer bus, 5 minutes to T5 (if the bus left, you might have to wait another 10-15 min)
Tack and worldiswide like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: