Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Poor service and discrimination to passengers. Airline not worth its price

Poor service and discrimination to passengers. Airline not worth its price

Old Jan 21, 20, 10:59 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 9
Poor service and discrimination to passengers. Airline not worth its price

Qatar Airways is overrated and overpriced airlines with indifferent staff. Unfortunately Iím based in Doha and donít have any choice for the flights for many destinations. On my last flight in Jan Doha-Baku-Doha I has an experience of flight delay, denied boarding, waiting for 1,5 hour for the luggage. Moreover the customer service answers your complains in favor of the airline. They break fate rules for one passengers and deny assistance for the others. In particular, I was denied boarding for mistake in the ticket although I did on line check in. According to the staff, the flight was full and I couldnít purchase another ticket for the same flight. However they reopened the check in 30 mins before the flight for 3 passengers. I had to purchase 1000$ 1 way ticket and fly 10 hour later. I think itís discrimination towards passengers. In Qatar there is no even the organization which protects you in such cases. Anyone can advise how to complain?
Natalia1005 is offline  
Old Jan 22, 20, 12:10 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: HKG, BHX, MAN
Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Posts: 731
Sometimes delays can be out of the airline's control, for example bad weather or waiting for ATC clearance. How long was the delay and did you know why?
Regarding being denied boarding, what I understand is you make a mistake on the ticket and they denied you for that. What was the mistake? Some mistakes can be ignored while some can't.
I don't understand how they discriminated you if you were the one who made the mistake on your booking. At most places in the world, there aren't organisations that set compensation for passengers, eg. EC261/2004. Airlines only need to follow basic regulations, such as the Montreal Convention.
realgaga is offline  
Old Jan 22, 20, 4:51 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Posts: 4,134
Originally Posted by Natalia1005 View Post
Qatar Airways is overrated and overpriced airlines with indifferent staff. Unfortunately Iím based in Doha and donít have any choice for the flights for many destinations. On my last flight in Jan Doha-Baku-Doha I has an experience of flight delay, denied boarding, waiting for 1,5 hour for the luggage. Moreover the customer service answers your complains in favor of the airline. They break fate rules for one passengers and deny assistance for the others. In particular, I was denied boarding for mistake in the ticket although I did on line check in. According to the staff, the flight was full and I couldnít purchase another ticket for the same flight. However they reopened the check in 30 mins before the flight for 3 passengers. I had to purchase 1000$ 1 way ticket and fly 10 hour later. I think itís discrimination towards passengers. In Qatar there is no even the organization which protects you in such cases. Anyone can advise how to complain?

Welcome to Flyertalk.

What was the mistake on the ticket?
Also, discrimination usually means there was unfair treatment of a person or group on the basis of prejudice. Is that what you allege QR did?
Or was it simply some [relatively] common flight delay/airline issues, coupled with a ticketing issue and some bad luck?
Bravada04, morawc and fender5787 like this.
narvik is offline  
Old Jan 22, 20, 10:30 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 9
They opened check-in for the passengers who were late for the flight 30 min before the flight. I have personally witnessed that. So for some passengers they break the rules, for some they donít? I could have bought the ticket for the same flight! And save at least 500$. And weíre talking about service here? Yes, I understand the mistake. What was the assistance? The service is selective?
Natalia1005 is offline  
Old Jan 22, 20, 10:38 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 9
The surname was written twice instead of name and surname. No misspelling. My point is for the money you charge this is the attitude and service you provide? Flights from Doha are 2-3 time more expensive that comparable distance flights anywhere else as QA is a monopolist.
Natalia1005 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 20, 12:23 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 155
Originally Posted by Natalia1005 View Post
The surname was written twice instead of name and surname. No misspelling. My point is for the money you charge this is the attitude and service you provide? Flights from Doha are 2-3 time more expensive that comparable distance flights anywhere else as QA is a monopolist.
Can you please tell me where I can book this $300 DOH-AKL fare please!!
realgaga likes this.
akl_traveller is offline  
Old Jan 23, 20, 1:25 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 94
So do I get that right, you bought a ticket with 2x Name instead of First Name, Last Name? Usually airlines either don't allow name changes at all or only for a fee.

What do u mean by they opened check in again 30mins before the flight? Was that check in in Doha? As they are the major operator, they should not have just check-in desks for one single flight. Or do you mean they reopened the gate 30mins prior to departure again for 3 passengers?

Then obviously the flight was full with those 3 passengers who correctly checked in.
mucaari is offline  
Old Jan 23, 20, 1:26 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: HKG, BHX, MAN
Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Posts: 731
Originally Posted by Natalia1005 View Post
They opened check-in for the passengers who were late for the flight 30 min before the flight. I have personally witnessed that. So for some passengers they break the rules, for some they donít? I could have bought the ticket for the same flight! And save at least 500$. And weíre talking about service here? Yes, I understand the mistake. What was the assistance? The service is selective?
Just because they choose to override the system and open check-in for a few passengers doesn't mean they have to do it to everyone. There might be a backstory to that as well.
When you book your ticket, it should state in your fare rules about a name change. Therefore, they do not have to change the name on the ticket for free.
realgaga is offline  
Old Jan 23, 20, 2:50 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 13,930
Originally Posted by Natalia1005 View Post
Qatar Airways is overrated and overpriced airlines with indifferent staff. ...
Sorry you are getting such tough love from the forum. Although the assertion about high prices (from Doha) and extraordinary ratings (Skytrax) have a definite ring of truth, the airline's ground-staff are not bad, just hamstrung by anxiety to avoid censure by misinterpreting rules.

Minor spelling mistakes, transposed first and surname they can cope with, as with single-name passengers having that name repeated in both name fields. But being presented with a passport that simply does not tie the passenger directly to the ticket.... well, that's a problem for the revenue protection folk, and for the wider security network.

I'm pretty sure that it's a problem that could have been resolved if you'd identified the mismatch earlier and contacted the airline: but even then the resolution could still have been cancellation+new ticket - though then you would at least have caught the flight.

As for favoured passengers getting special treatment: it happens. But without understanding the factors behind the situation, it's not clear that you witnessed a case of positive discrimination.
IAN-UK is online now  
Old Jan 23, 20, 3:04 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 9
Totally agree about the fare rules. And this is exactly my point: check in is closed 1 hour before the flight. However airline doesnít have a problem re-opening check in 30 mins before the flight to assist some passengers. While I didnít get any assistance. This is what I call discrimination. Qatar Airways has faire rules which they choose to follow or not?
Natalia1005 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 20, 3:07 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by realgaga View Post
Just because they choose to override the system and open check-in for a few passengers doesn't mean they have to do it to everyone. There might be a backstory to that as well.
When you book your ticket, it should state in your fare rules about a name change. Therefore, they do not have to change the name on the ticket for free.
I was ready to pay extra fee and even buy another ticket. I was denied that. Thatís the point! I had to buy the ticket for the next flight which was in 10 hours. I did arrive 2 hours before the flight with on-line check in done. That was Baku airport.
Natalia1005 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 20, 4:02 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 107
Originally Posted by Natalia1005 View Post
In particular, I was denied boarding for mistake in the ticket although I did on line check in. According to the staff, the flight was full and I couldnít purchase another ticket for the same flight. However they reopened the check in 30 mins before the flight for 3 passengers. I had to purchase 1000$ 1 way ticket and fly 10 hour later. I think itís discrimination towards passengers. In Qatar there is no even the organization which protects you in such cases. Anyone can advise how to complain?
The OLCI doesn't mean anything in this case - you confirm at OLCI that your information entered is correct, whereas in this case it wasn't (ticket name different from passport name).

Normally, if your ticket was cancelled as being invalid, I would imagine there's a seat available for purchase. (Although there isn't any guarantee that that would have been cheaper than the 1000$ you paid for the later flight)

However, it's possible that the flight was oversold and therefore there wasn't a seat available for purchase.
Sifaan is offline  
Old Jan 23, 20, 4:31 am
  #13  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 15,996
Originally Posted by Natalia1005 View Post
Totally agree about the fare rules. And this is exactly my point: check in is closed 1 hour before the flight. However airline doesnít have a problem re-opening check in 30 mins before the flight to assist some passengers. While I didnít get any assistance. This is what I call discrimination. Qatar Airways has faire rules which they choose to follow or not?
What QR did with other passengers is irrelevant. In fact, those passengers may have been on standby - and were able to get seats at the last minute due to the issue you had.

At what point were you denied boarding? At the check-in desks or at the gate? With your particular issue, the ticket would have needed changing and a payment made. This would need to be done via the ticket office, not at the gate. If you were denied boarding at the gate, I guess you'd have been immediately off-loaded, as there wouldn't have been time to get your ticket changed.
DYKWIA is online now  
Old Jan 23, 20, 4:48 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 9
Sorry, itís relevant as Iím talking about customer service of the airline. Passengers were not stand by, they arrived 30 min before the flight for check-in.

With me Iím talking about check in to which I arrived 2 hours before the flight. I was ready to buy another ticket. The staff told me the flight was full. It looks like they used the name mistake as a reason to offload me in the overbooked flight without any compensation.

Finally, If the fare rules are the same for all passengers, why they got broken? If I had a choice, Iíd never fly QA again.

Customer service of QA is not able provide any clear answer on the situation. Nobody bothered to call me. You canít get any contacts of the senior staff.

Is this a service for which you pay premium? Anybody can advise on how to complain except QA itself?
Natalia1005 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 20, 6:09 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: HKG, BHX, MAN
Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Posts: 731
Originally Posted by Natalia1005 View Post
I was ready to pay extra fee and even buy another ticket. I was denied that. Thatís the point! I had to buy the ticket for the next flight which was in 10 hours. I did arrive 2 hours before the flight with on-line check in done. That was Baku airport.
Were the staff at Baku QR staff or contract staff? It has a big difference on what QR can do.
realgaga is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: