Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tight connection at Doha

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Tight connection at Doha

I am looking to booking a flight JFK-JNB on Qatar with a 55 minute connection at Doha. It would be booked all on one ticket. Do you guys think the connection is to tight? My other option is a 11 hour layover in Doha which I would rather avoid. Would I need to clear security in Doha?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:40 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
It is tight (manly because of the risk of late arrival of the JFK-DOH flight). You will need to clear transit security which is generally quick. If it is all on one ticket then you will be safe if you miss the connection anyway - QR will just put you on the next flight to JNB so you may as well go ahead and book it.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by jiffer21225
I am looking to booking a flight JFK-JNB on Qatar with a 55 minute connection at Doha. It would be booked all on one ticket. Do you guys think the connection is to tight? My other option is a 11 hour layover in Doha which I would rather avoid. Would I need to clear security in Doha?
1. If you get it ticketed on a single ticket then QR would reboot you if the connection is missed.
2. 55 minutes isn't very tight, and if QR worries about you they will have staff at the gate to rush you to your next gate.

I'd say book it, if it works it works, if you miss the connection QR will deal with it.

-A
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:01 am
Original Poster

I'm seriously considering taking the chance and booking the short connection. I know I can book my seats after I book my flights. The question I have is. can I see the seat availability before I purchase my ticket?

I do have a fear of flying and I would like to sit next to my husband if possible. If it looks like it's limited seats left I might not booked it. Is there a website I can go to to see this or does anybody else have any suggestions how to see this?

Are seat selections only available 24 hotel before check in or can I pay extra to reserve ahead of time

Last edited by jiffer21225; Jan 11, 2020 at 11:08 am
Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:39 pm

can I see the seat availability before I purchase my ticket?
Expertflyer has a Seat Alert feature which does not require subscription that'll show you.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 6:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Sure you can book this, but I would operate on the assumption that I will miss the connection and get rebooked. Did you consider QR702 - QR1365 (3.5 hr connection)...or is there no availability in the booking class you want on the day you want to fly?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:59 am

Programs: BAEC
45min is the MCT for QR to QR unless you are flying to the US.
Remember that Qatar base the majority of their business as a transit and hub operation, Doha airport was built to make transit reasonably simple, and if you end up being late in staff will likely be waiting for you to assist you.

From what has been said above it seems that there is a later connection within a couple of hours so if you miss the connection you can assume you will be put on that later later flight assuming it's not already full.

So if arriving on the next available connecting flight is not a risk you can't take I would book it.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:34 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
If you don't mind, tell us the flight numbers, dates and your travel class and we can check the seat map for you.
The '____ seats left' usually indicates the number of seats left in the fare bucket. After they sell out the 'insert number here' of seats, they move on to a higher fare class.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:24 am
Original Poster

My plans were to fly from JFK to JNB on March 14th. I would spend 1 night at an airport at JNB . The morning of the 16th I will be flying on Airlink to Kruger park for 7 night stay at a lodge. We wanted to stay the 1 night in JNB because we didn't want to arrive exhausted for our 1st day of game drives after 24+ hours if travel time. We already have the lodge booked for the arrival of March 16th and that can't be changed because the lodge is full.

Thank you for looking at seat availability for me. Here are the flights I am considering

March 14th
Jfk-DOH-JNB
Flight 704 and flight 1377

March 27th
CPT-DOH-JFK
Flight 1370/703

Worse case I could book the later flight leaving JFK and arrive at 4:35am on Monday morning. The Airlink flight leaves at 10 am. That should be enough time to catch it. We would be pretty tired for our 1st day of game drives. What do you guys think? Should I just book that flight with longer layover and suck it up the 1st day of game drives? Those flight number are 702/1365.

Last edited by jiffer21225; Jan 12, 2020 at 9:03 am
Old Jan 12, 2020, 11:13 am

My plans were to fly from JFK to JNB on March 14th. I would spend 1 night at an airport at JNB . The morning of the 16th I will be flying on Airlink to Kruger park for 7 night stay at a lodge. We wanted to stay the 1 night in JNB because we didn't want to arrive exhausted for our 1st day of game drives after 24+ hours if travel time. We already have the lodge booked for the arrival of March 16th and that can't be changed because the lodge is full.

Thank you for looking at seat availability for me. Here are the flights I am considering

March 14th
Jfk-DOH-JNB
Flight 704 and flight 1377

March 27th
CPT-DOH-JFK
Flight 1370/703

Worse case I could book the later flight leaving JFK and arrive at 4:35am on Monday morning. The Airlink flight leaves at 10 am. That should be enough time to catch it. We would be pretty tired for our 1st day of game drives. What do you guys think? Should I just book that flight with longer layover and suck it up the 1st day of game drives? Those flight number are 702/1365.
Business or economy class?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by realgaga
Business or economy class?
Sorry. I forgot to mention it is economy class
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:18 pm

QR 704 (JFK-DOH/MAR14)

QR 1377 (DOH-JNB/MAR15)

QR 1370 (CPT-DOH/MAR27)

QR 703 (DOH-JFK/MAR28)

The seats map are accurate at the time of publishing, seats map will change when another passenger selects/changes a seat. They are not accurate for estimating the load of the flight since not all passengers have reserved/can reserve seats.
narvik likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:13 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
We had exactly the same connection on Jan 2. Our incoming flight was a few minutes late and the connecting gate was quite a distance away. Going straight from gate to gate we were able to make the connection without any problems. Our luggage also made it! So, book that flight - more than likely there'll be several others with the same connection.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I have a connection of 50 minutes coming up in Doha. Arrival 0010 from LHR in J class transiting to Dubai at 0100 in F.

should the London flight be late will they ever take you direct from one flight to the next or is it a case of go via transfer security and hope for the best?

If we miss it, the next flight is 18 hours later and whilst we could enter Qatar would they book us in a hotel or would we have to stay in the first class lounge? The latter would be fine if we could get a bedroom for 6 hours but I suspect with the late overnight arrival that may be unlikely.

Thanks for any assistance.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Don't worry - you are almost quaranteed to make that connection - no need to worry about accommodation in case of IRROPS now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.