Tight connection at Doha

Old Jan 11, 20, 9:33 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 122
Tight connection at Doha

I am looking to booking a flight JFK-JNB on Qatar with a 55 minute connection at Doha. It would be booked all on one ticket. Do you guys think the connection is to tight? My other option is a 11 hour layover in Doha which I would rather avoid. Would I need to clear security in Doha?
jiffer21225 is offline  
Old Jan 11, 20, 9:40 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oxon, UK
Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Posts: 1,873
It is tight (manly because of the risk of late arrival of the JFK-DOH flight). You will need to clear transit security which is generally quick. If it is all on one ticket then you will be safe if you miss the connection anyway - QR will just put you on the next flight to JNB so you may as well go ahead and book it.
pomkiwi is offline  
Old Jan 11, 20, 9:41 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Programs: QR Plat
Posts: 2,047
Originally Posted by jiffer21225 View Post
I am looking to booking a flight JFK-JNB on Qatar with a 55 minute connection at Doha. It would be booked all on one ticket. Do you guys think the connection is to tight? My other option is a 11 hour layover in Doha which I would rather avoid. Would I need to clear security in Doha?
1. If you get it ticketed on a single ticket then QR would reboot you if the connection is missed.
2. 55 minutes isn't very tight, and if QR worries about you they will have staff at the gate to rush you to your next gate.

I'd say book it, if it works it works, if you miss the connection QR will deal with it.

-A
ph-ndr is offline  
Old Jan 11, 20, 12:01 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 122
I'm seriously considering taking the chance and booking the short connection. I know I can book my seats after I book my flights. The question I have is. can I see the seat availability before I purchase my ticket?

I do have a fear of flying and I would like to sit next to my husband if possible. If it looks like it's limited seats left I might not booked it. Is there a website I can go to to see this or does anybody else have any suggestions how to see this?

Are seat selections only available 24 hotel before check in or can I pay extra to reserve ahead of time

Last edited by jiffer21225; Jan 11, 20 at 12:08 pm
jiffer21225 is offline  
Old Jan 11, 20, 6:39 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,454
Originally Posted by jiffer21225 View Post
can I see the seat availability before I purchase my ticket?
Expertflyer has a Seat Alert feature which does not require subscription that'll show you.
aztimm likes this.
ft101 is offline  
Old Jan 11, 20, 7:12 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: SIN
Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Posts: 547
Originally Posted by jiffer21225 View Post
I am looking to booking a flight JFK-JNB on Qatar with a 55 minute connection at Doha. It would be booked all on one ticket. Do you guys think the connection is to tight? My other option is a 11 hour layover in Doha which I would rather avoid. Would I need to clear security in Doha?
Sure you can book this, but I would operate on the assumption that I will miss the connection and get rebooked. Did you consider QR702 - QR1365 (3.5 hr connection)...or is there no availability in the booking class you want on the day you want to fly?
Unionruler is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 1:59 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LON
Programs: BAEC, Accor
Posts: 1,521
45min is the MCT for QR to QR unless you are flying to the US.
Remember that Qatar base the majority of their business as a transit and hub operation, Doha airport was built to make transit reasonably simple, and if you end up being late in staff will likely be waiting for you to assist you.

From what has been said above it seems that there is a later connection within a couple of hours so if you miss the connection you can assume you will be put on that later later flight assuming it's not already full.

So if arriving on the next available connecting flight is not a risk you can't take I would book it.
plunet is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 5:34 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: HKG, BHX, MAN
Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Posts: 115
If you don't mind, tell us the flight numbers, dates and your travel class and we can check the seat map for you.
The '____ seats left' usually indicates the number of seats left in the fare bucket. After they sell out the 'insert number here' of seats, they move on to a higher fare class.
realgaga is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 6:24 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 122
My plans were to fly from JFK to JNB on March 14th. I would spend 1 night at an airport at JNB . The morning of the 16th I will be flying on Airlink to Kruger park for 7 night stay at a lodge. We wanted to stay the 1 night in JNB because we didn't want to arrive exhausted for our 1st day of game drives after 24+ hours if travel time. We already have the lodge booked for the arrival of March 16th and that can't be changed because the lodge is full.

Thank you for looking at seat availability for me. Here are the flights I am considering

March 14th
Jfk-DOH-JNB
Flight 704 and flight 1377

March 27th
CPT-DOH-JFK
Flight 1370/703

Worse case I could book the later flight leaving JFK and arrive at 4:35am on Monday morning. The Airlink flight leaves at 10 am. That should be enough time to catch it. We would be pretty tired for our 1st day of game drives. What do you guys think? Should I just book that flight with longer layover and suck it up the 1st day of game drives? Those flight number are 702/1365.

Last edited by jiffer21225; Jan 12, 20 at 10:03 am
jiffer21225 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 12:13 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: HKG, BHX, MAN
Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Posts: 115
Originally Posted by jiffer21225 View Post
My plans were to fly from JFK to JNB on March 14th. I would spend 1 night at an airport at JNB . The morning of the 16th I will be flying on Airlink to Kruger park for 7 night stay at a lodge. We wanted to stay the 1 night in JNB because we didn't want to arrive exhausted for our 1st day of game drives after 24+ hours if travel time. We already have the lodge booked for the arrival of March 16th and that can't be changed because the lodge is full.

Thank you for looking at seat availability for me. Here are the flights I am considering

March 14th
Jfk-DOH-JNB
Flight 704 and flight 1377

March 27th
CPT-DOH-JFK
Flight 1370/703

Worse case I could book the later flight leaving JFK and arrive at 4:35am on Monday morning. The Airlink flight leaves at 10 am. That should be enough time to catch it. We would be pretty tired for our 1st day of game drives. What do you guys think? Should I just book that flight with longer layover and suck it up the 1st day of game drives? Those flight number are 702/1365.
Business or economy class?
realgaga is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 1:16 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by realgaga View Post
Business or economy class?
Sorry. I forgot to mention it is economy class
jiffer21225 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 4:18 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: HKG, BHX, MAN
Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Posts: 115

QR 704 (JFK-DOH/MAR14)

QR 1377 (DOH-JNB/MAR15)

QR 1370 (CPT-DOH/MAR27)

QR 703 (DOH-JFK/MAR28)

The seats map are accurate at the time of publishing, seats map will change when another passenger selects/changes a seat. They are not accurate for estimating the load of the flight since not all passengers have reserved/can reserve seats.
narvik likes this.
realgaga is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 3:13 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Posts: 442
We had exactly the same connection on Jan 2. Our incoming flight was a few minutes late and the connecting gate was quite a distance away. Going straight from gate to gate we were able to make the connection without any problems. Our luggage also made it! So, book that flight - more than likely there'll be several others with the same connection.
dwugson is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: