QR Airspace

Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
At this point I don’t think any of QRs routings that fly over southern Iran are worrisome. I am a bit anxious about flying over Iraq (a route that pretty much all QR flights from Europe and the US take), especially Shia majority areas. Iran’s next step is going to be using their proxy forces to retaliate against the US (the last attacks were just a show of force that intentionally caused no casualties so as to give trump an off ramp). Those Shia proxy forces in Iraq are notoriously unpredictable and are seeing red after the us strikes that killed Souliemani (remember along with Souliemani one of their leaders were killed too). With that being said, always remember the chances of anything happening to you in flight is still extremely slim and your greatest threat on a QR flight is getting an erratic Uber driver that leads to an accident on the way to the airport.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by xychromosome
Yes, and I received the same response as mentioned by loopforever. My tix were purchased on Chase’s travel portal, and QR said they are not offering any concessions to cancel. I will see what Chase says but don’t like my chances
Thanks for the reply.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
Apologies for jumping in here, I normally live in the BA Exec Club forum. Most of my flights are BA due to routing via LHR from EDI. However several times per year I fly QR from EDI to DOH and DOH to BLR, and will be doing exactly that in 10 days from now. I've read the comments above re: Southern part of Iran, but I'm still getting a bit concerned that the region is going through some turbulent times. QR seem to indicate BAU, but does anyone here think I'm crazy (or not crazy) by planning EDI DOH and DOH BLR during this time of uncertainty? My last trip there (September), if I recall correctly, flew over both Iran and Iraq.

Many thanks.
Similar situation to myself but I'm MAN based and Delhi bound. All really comes down to personal preference and hassle to change. 99.9999% and beyond chance all will be fine but for me re-routing was no real hassle so I've chosen to do so as it just elimates the issue altogether.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by muliwuli
i think we are a bit overreacting. if there would be a clear treat of danger qatar would not fly through iran/iraq. at least those are my thoughts when i try to rational the fact that im 100% flying through iraq and iran on next thursday.

Lufthansa cancelled and reverted the plane last night mid-flight (i cannot post links due to a new account, but check flight 'DLH600' (fra - ika) on flightradar) which is worrying, so i am basically waiting for european airlines to start flying through those regions again and that will make me feel better.

did any airline/agency release an official explanation why are they not flying through those regions (reasons are obvious, of course.. but would be good to see something written)
My 2cents as someone who cancelled my QR flight today. Everyone is entitled to do what’s best for them and if you feel nervous about it then cancel. My reason for cancelling:
1. FAA (US) banned US carriers from flying over Iranian/Iraqi airspace
2. BA flight departing from Turkey that had a flight path over the airspace was diverted
3. Singapore Airlines flying longer route to avoid the airspace
4. What I believe is the equivalent of the FAA in the EU advised European carriers not to fly over that airspace
5. Tehran plane crash.

Now, I agree that chances are slim to none of my QR flight getting shot down by a missile, but nevertheless I was nervous. I was also nervous that QR may cancel some flights for whatever reason. Combined with the fact that I don’t particularly like the Doha airport AND I found a cheap fare (more on that later), it was a no brainer for me to cancel. I had been willing to eat my QR fare which I thought was non-refundable but I was pleasantly surprised that it was mostly refundable.

For those interested, I was due to fly JFK-DOH-KUL. I cancelled and rebooked myself on AA-marketed CX flight JFK-HKG-KUL (which is my normal flight anyway). I paid a $465 cancellation fee on a flight that cost ~$3,200, AA/CX flight I rebooked was $2,200 so I was lucky to actually come out ahead. And I have no idea why AA was selling J seats for so cheap.

I’m not sure I would have cancelled if that AA fare wasn’t staring me in the face (these flights are typically $5,900, MAYBE $4,500-$5,000 if I were lucky).

*Edited to add that all this was through Amex Platinum Travel.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:18 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by muliwuli
i think we are a bit overreacting. if there would be a clear treat of danger qatar would not fly through iran/iraq.
I don't think they have any choice in the matter short of ceasing all operations !
Aren't they still in a blockade situation with all their other neighbours ?

And.....Iran seem to have accidentally shot down a Ukrainian plane in this airspace :-(

Last edited by Sisyphus1carus; Jan 10, 2020 at 1:26 pm
Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:00 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by suziemay
My 2cents as someone who cancelled my QR flight today. Everyone is entitled to do what’s best for them and if you feel nervous about it then cancel. My reason for cancelling:
1. FAA (US) banned US carriers from flying over Iranian/Iraqi airspace
2. BA flight departing from Turkey that had a flight path over the airspace was diverted
3. Singapore Airlines flying longer route to avoid the airspace
4. What I believe is the equivalent of the FAA in the EU advised European carriers not to fly over that airspace
5. Tehran plane crash.

Now, I agree that chances are slim to none of my QR flight getting shot down by a missile, but nevertheless I was nervous. I was also nervous that QR may cancel some flights for whatever reason. Combined with the fact that I don’t particularly like the Doha airport AND I found a cheap fare (more on that later), it was a no brainer for me to cancel. I had been willing to eat my QR fare which I thought was non-refundable but I was pleasantly surprised that it was mostly refundable.

For those interested, I was due to fly JFK-DOH-KUL. I cancelled and rebooked myself on AA-marketed CX flight JFK-HKG-KUL (which is my normal flight anyway). I paid a $465 cancellation fee on a flight that cost ~$3,200, AA/CX flight I rebooked was $2,200 so I was lucky to actually come out ahead. And I have no idea why AA was selling J seats for so cheap.

I’m not sure I would have cancelled if that AA fare wasn’t staring me in the face (these flights are typically $5,900, MAYBE $4,500-$5,000 if I were lucky).

May I ask what dates were you using to find $2200 cx jfk-kul fares? I’m doing the same routing as your original (jfk-doh-kul and paid the same via Amex iap) and leaving in a few days and while I did find some jfk-kul fares on AA for $2200, they were on JL and involved a 19hr layover in Tokyo. I don’t think I’m gonna switch flights, but regardless, 2.2k is a steal for that route on CX metal.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 4:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I'm flying DFW-DOH-ADL next week. If the flights are going, then I'll be on them.

I can't say that I won't be a little worried, especially in the last/first ~2 hours, but heck I was in the Army when I was younger, looked over the DMZ into North Korea from several vantage points and survived. QR must have about 30 flights a day between the US and DOH, and I have yet to hear of an issue with any of them.
fender5787 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
I had a DFW-DOH-HKG Booked for CNY, I dont really see the risk as worth it, and my travel insurance might cover part of the cancelation/difference in fares. Otherwise, just not worth the risk for the difference cost. Found a resonable DAL-SEA-YVR-HKG-YVR-PDX-DAL in AS/Cathay in F/J, so pretty ok in the end.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Considering booking QR895 (PEK-AUH) and see it flies over Iran completely.
Could they even avoid it if they wanted to?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by suziemay
Thank you so much for sharing this. I had the same exact itinerary actually...checked Amex Travel and sure enough...$2200 a ticket. Couldn't believe it. Booked it, called and reserved my seats already.

Waiting another week or so to see if any political events cause QR to have to cancel flights...which would save me $2200 in cancellation fees. Otherwise I'll just cancel prior to 24 hours out.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:19 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by narvik
Considering booking QR895 (PEK-AUH) and see it flies over Iran completely.
Could they even avoid it if they wanted to?
They could do a longer routing avoid overflying the Iran/Iraq mainland (e.g. what BA is doing to DXB or how EK flies to PEK) but looking at the most recent flights for this route, QR are flying right over Iran
narvik likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:43 pm

Programs: BAEC
Not wanting to stray into OMNI but with the announcement and admission in the past few hours that the fated Ukrainian flight was taken down by a missile and it was an accident, I would imagine there will be every scrutiny now in place to prevent a reoccurrence in their airspace.
brunos, kl1987, fender5787 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by plunet
Not wanting to stray into OMNI but with the announcement and admission in the past few hours that the fated Ukrainian flight was taken down by a missile and it was an accident, I would imagine there will be every scrutiny now in place to prevent a reoccurrence in their airspace.
I wouldn't bet my life on it.
mr_botak and muliwuli like this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 1:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by plunet
I guess that depends on what every scrutiny means. They talk about upgrading systems, if they mean hardware that's not going to happen overnight, if they mean processes well they are only as good as person following them. If you have a split second to make a decision and you're charged with protecting some site of mimtary importance there's always room for error.

What really surprises me is that a). They have such a site under a defined flight path away from the airport. B). They were surprised to find something flying near by on a departure flight path that has presumably existed for years.
Unionruler likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:35 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Were I booking my current trip would definitely go the 'long' way round the world to South Africa - unfortunately am in the middle of a trip and pretty well committed to my flight over Iraq and Iran to New York. At least we now know what happened and can only hope that the risk of a repeat is now minimal. Can't say I feel comfortable though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.