Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR Airspace

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:10 pm

I had a flight booked for Friday, I just cancelled and rebooked on Cathay (headed to KUL). In all likelihood the flight will probably be OK, but I'm not going to risk getting shot down by a missile, or having my flight cancelled on me last minute. No thanks.

Pity too, because I was booked on QSuites on all 4 segments of the flight. Oh well. Next time.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by suziemay
I had a flight booked for Friday, I just cancelled and rebooked on Cathay (headed to KUL). In all likelihood the flight will probably be OK, but I'm not going to risk getting shot down by a missile, or having my flight cancelled on me last minute. No thanks.

Pity too, because I was booked on QSuites on all 4 segments of the flight. Oh well. Next time.
I understand how you feel. However I think it's an over-reaction considering both sides have ceased fire and have said so. Plus it was never in Iran's plan to attack anything other than US military sites.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by flynz
I understand how you feel. However I think it's an over-reaction considering both sides have ceased fire and have said so. Plus it was never in Iran's plan to attack anything other than US military sites.
I'm taking zero chances. I was half-joking about the missile, but what I can't have happen is for my flight to get cancelled and then have to scramble to find another option that gets me in this weekend. I need to be in KL for something that I cannot miss.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:57 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Did anybody rebooked existing booking on QR to partner airline? We fly out of DPS on Monday via DOH to IST.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:00 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by flynz
Plus it was never in Iran's plan to attack anything other than US military sites.
Also Iran fired a surface to surface missle to attack a target on land.

I am not an expert for missles, but i doubt very much that this kind of missle is designed to hit a moving target in a height of 10 km.

If you want to shoot down an airplane you need a different missle with all the negative effects if you shoot the wrong plane in this much used airspace.
I think Iran is very well aware of that.

By the way: Next week i fly from EU to BKK with QR.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:53 am

Programs: EC Silver FC Silver
Originally Posted by Crisu69
Also Iran fired a surface to surface missle to attack a target on land.

but i doubt very much that this kind of missle is designed to hit a moving target in a height of 10 km.
Agree there is a difference to flying over at altitude and taking off / landing in Iran (poor souls on PS752 got to 8,000 feet).

I'm not sure the height of Qatar planes as they take off / land over Iranian airspace though assume with a 15-20∘ climb they are at cruising altitude over land. I'd be more concerned with military operations in/out of Abu Nakhlah Airport taking air traffic priority and disrupting QR operations.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Crossing Iraq at FL240-320 (ie 24 - 32 000 ft) is deemed safe by most at this time. Of course that doesn't categorically exclude a SAM incident like MH17 over the Ukraine, but that is highly unlikely. Mainly because those who have the capability are definitely not deploying SAM in any of the areas. Everyone knows where the commerical aircraft are flying and takes good care not to involve them in any conflict

15-20° climb is very steep... If you look at todays QR713 to IAH they reached FL240 only over Iran. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f...qr713#237653ed QR167 to ARN was probably a bit lighter and reached FL240 befor entering the Tehran FIR.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:03 am

To anyone that has cancelled a flight, is QR willing to cancel the tickets for a full refund, irrespective of class? I'm on (I) and wanted to see how flexible Qatar is to cancelling flights and providing a full refund.

Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:12 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by skalirai
To anyone that has cancelled a flight, is QR willing to cancel the tickets for a full refund, irrespective of class? I'm on (I) and wanted to see how flexible Qatar is to cancelling flights and providing a full refund.

Thanks!
I don't think at this moment of time, since QR's travel alert says 'Qatar Airways’ services are currently operating normally. The safety of our passengers and employees is of the highest importance, and we continue to monitor developments closely. '
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:46 am

It's disconcerting that US, European and Asian airlines are all avoiding Iranian and Iraqi airspace, however QR continues to fly over Iraq, albeit with little choice given the current blockade situation. I did notice that from recent flight maps that QR flights are increasing altitude over Iraq to well over 30,000ft. My biggest concern with flights scheduled on QR through DOH in February is not the highly unlikely scenario of being shot down, but instead being stranded if hostilities resume. I intend to call QR to see what cancellation options I have on my tix, and will report on what concessions, if any, they are currently offering.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by xychromosome
It's disconcerting that US, European and Asian airlines are all avoiding Iranian and Iraqi airspace, however QR continues to fly over Iraq, albeit with little choice given the current blockade situation. I did notice that from recent flight maps that QR flights are increasing altitude over Iraq to well over 30,000ft. .
I checked on flightradar and the smaller planes (A320) are flying on ~36.000f over Iraq an the bigger one like A330 are on ~40.000f over Iraq and Iran.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:47 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
My biggest concern with flights scheduled on QR through DOH in February is not the highly unlikely scenario of being shot down, but instead being stranded if hostilities resume. I intend to call QR to see what cancellation options I have on my tix, and will report on what concessions, if any, they are currently offering.
This is my concern as well from a trip to se Asia I’ll be taking Monday. Statistically speaking, there’s a greater chance I’ll be killed by a car crossing a street in Manhattan than being killed in a missile strike, even when flying over an active conflict zone (which technically it’s still not “active” per se). However, I’m anxious af of being stuck in Doha or KUL and have to deal with QRs notorious customer service to get me back to the states in a timely fashion.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:15 am

I cancelled my upcoming flight, CPH-DOH-BKK and booked with Finnair, who's not flying over iranian/irakian airspace.
It was a very cheap and restrictive ticket, however most of the costs were taxes(90%) and these will be refunded.
My loss is only about 40 USD, price ticket and little over 370 USD, the difference between initial ticket bought on QA and the new one with Finnair.
I hope, I can get my travel insurance to cover it, but it's not that important.
I just couldn't bear the thought of flying over Iraq/Iran.

Regards.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by parabone
I cancelled my upcoming flight, CPH-DOH-BKK and booked with Finnair, who's not flying over iranian/irakian airspace.
It was a very cheap and restrictive ticket, however most of the costs were taxes(90%) and these will be refunded.
My loss is only about 40 USD, price ticket and little over 370 USD, the difference between initial ticket bought on QA and the new one with Finnair.
I hope, I can get my travel insurance to cover it, but it's not that important.
I just couldn't bear the thought of flying over Iraq/Iran.

Regards.
Can you comment on the cancelation process with QR? Did they offer any concessions due to this issue?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:25 am

Can you comment on the cancelation process with QR? Did they offer any concessions due to this issue?
There is nothing to comment, really.
Go to Manage booking, then change/cancel.
Before you confirm, you will see what amount will be refunded.
I did it before with QR and got my money in matter of days.
The ticket was 494 USD, non refundable.
However, actual fare price, 40 USD.
Rest, imposed carrier taxes and so on.
And these are fully refundable, as far as I know.

Like I said, I did before, last December.
No contact with Customer Service whatsoever.
Did everything online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.