Wiki Posts
Search

QR Airspace

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by brunos
My understanding is that Bahrain, like Saudi Arabia and UAE, has banned overflights by QR. Can QR still use Barhain FIR?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_...ar_Flights.png
Bahrain and Qatar have issues quite beyond the current unhappiness. But there's a pragmatic element to it all, wider considerations prevail.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by nas6034
Thanks for the article. I do wonder how much of it was the Gulf states saw no need (as they did not have airlines of their own at that time?) to reallocate airspace versus the ease of convenience for western powers (i.e airlines) that in the shadows ensured a proper allocation of airspace should not occur.
Depends on your definition of "proper". The reason given seems proper enough and has suited everyone for years.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:10 am
JKG

Programs: Privilege Club, Miles&Bonus
Your first picture leaves me perplexed.
My understanding is that Bahrain, like Saudi Arabia and UAE, has banned overflights by QR. Can QR still use Barhain FIR?
From you picture, it looks impossible to fly out of Qatar.

I have fond this map of current routes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_...ar_Flights.png
One (minor) issue with this picture is that it shows no overflights over Syria due to the then conditions, which is not the case anymore.
QR overflies Syria normally now, still through the main corridors shown.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:19 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
So it seems the FAA has issued restrictions to all US carriers from flying over Iraqi and Iranian airspace as well as the Persian gulf and the gulf of Oman.

https://thehill.com/policy/transport...mpression=true

Obviously, this doesn’t apply to QR, but it is still quite troubling. Without Iraq, Iran, the Persian gulf, and the gulf of Oman, and with the blockade still in effect, QR would essentially cease its ability to operate, correct?

Further, just based on checking Flightaware, seemed todays’s QR704 from JFK was flying smack dab through northern Iraq as Iranian missles we’re hitting an Iraqi base housing US forces outside of Irbil. I don’t mean to sound over-panicked, but let’s really hope it settles down out there.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: qatar
Breaking news, Ukrainian Airlines flight with 180 people crashed minutes after take off from Teheran. If it will be not confirmed to be caused by technical difficulties it will be a even worse news for Qatar . I would not fly now over Iran and Iraq with misses around

Last edited by Luca Suomi; Jan 7, 2020 at 9:33 pm
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:04 pm

Looking on Flightradar right now, many flights are operating over Iraq and Iran.
So I guess American operated airlines aren't allowed to fly in this airspace- how does the ban apply to other airlines?
I'm concerned as well that Qatar will be effectively grounded should this escalate.
Based in Doha and really hoping right now that the Qatari / Iraqi friendship continues!
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:09 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by Tulene
Looking on Flightradar right now, many flights are operating over Iraq and Iran.
So I guess American operated airlines aren't allowed to fly in this airspace- how does the ban apply to other airlines?
I'm concerned as well that Qatar will be effectively grounded should this escalate.
Based in Doha and really hoping right now that the Qatari / Iraqi friendship continues!
It looks like QR is filling up two airwys to the northwest out of Doha and are limiting their routes at least. I did a quick look on FR24 and it seems most carriers are giving Iran/Iraq a wide berth this morning, with Scoot's SIN-TXL being the absolute winner in odd routings. I doubt the passengers there planned taking in their sunrise over Cairo.

-A
Tulene likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:20 pm

Hmm... just booked a QR flight yesterday for early Feb. If that really was so smart?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:37 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ph-ndr
It looks like QR is filling up two airwys to the northwest out of Doha and are limiting their routes at least. I did a quick look on FR24 and it seems most carriers are giving Iran/Iraq a wide berth this morning, with Scoot's SIN-TXL being the absolute winner in odd routings. I doubt the passengers there planned taking in their sunrise over Cairo.

-A
BA’s BOM-LHR flight did an interesting circle too by first turning around over Kuwait and then heading straight west. Seems to have diverted to ATH afterwards.

Originally Posted by mucaari
Hmm... just booked a QR flight yesterday for early Feb. If that really was so smart?
Lots can happen between now and Feb and hopefully things will have calmed down by then.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Lots can happen between now and Feb and hopefully things will have calmed down by then.
Yes, there may be a conflict, or QR may swap aircraft and you may end on an A330...

-A
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Just flew QR41 leaving DOH around 1am this morning, probably with Iranian missiles flying around. A bit scary ex-post.
Tulene likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Just flew QR41 leaving DOH around 1am this morning, probably with Iranian missiles flying around. A bit scary ex-post.
Another one keeping an eye on this, due to fly Manchester to Delhi via Doha on QR in 2 weeks.... Can't say I'm thrilled by the prospect right now and with BA and others already avoiding the airspace that doesn't help. Luckily it's a fully refundable booking, however I'd imagine the other options will be much more costly.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 3:57 am

Programs: qatar
While many countries banned Iranian and Iraqi air space Qatar is still flying there since has not much alternatives. But after the Malaysian plane was destroyed by a Russian missle in Ukraine few years ago I find it insane to fly with missiles around. The IATA should force the countries blocking Qatar to open their air space at least until the situation will not improve, meanwhile I won’t fly Qatar or any airline flying over a war zone.

Furthermore now the Ukrainian authorities are not anymore sure it was a technical problem, one engine failing immediately after take off with the pilots not able to regain control of the plane is quite a terrifying possibility, since the plane was only 3 years old, I hope there is not the possibility of such a technical failure leading to a crash in few minutes.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:40 am

I was on a QR flight in the same airway as MH17, not long before it. It's like winning the lottery, either you do or you don't, and exeedingsly few do. Luckily.

Originally Posted by Luca Suomi
While many countries banned Iranian and Iraqi air space Qatar is still flying there since has not much alternatives. But after the Malaysian plane was destroyed by a Russian missle in Ukraine few years ago I find it insane to fly with missiles around. The IATA should force the countries blocking Qatar to open their air space at least until the situation will not improve, meanwhile I won’t fly Qatar or any airline flying over a war zone.
Well, the way politics are run these day's it means you are running out of air space for South Asia-Europe routes, and before you know it we may see a lot more of runrises over Egypt, like Scoot this morning.

Originally Posted by Luca Suomi
Furthermore now the Ukrainian authorities are not anymore sure it was a technical problem, one engine failing immediately after take off with the pilots not able to regain control of the plane is quite a terrifying possibility, since the plane was only 3 years old, I hope there is not the possibility of such a technical failure leading to a crash in few minutes.
This has been retracted now, it seems. I was expecting that to happen, as noone really knows yet what did happen.

-A
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
Spent two hours watching the moving map whilst in Iraqi airspace almost directly over Baghdad and Erbil this morning on QR3, just waiting to reach Turkey.

Probably paranoia but it didn't feel right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.