Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

What happens when I don't travel enough to renew Platinum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:05 am
Original Poster

My travel is normally good for QRPC Silver, but with some judicious use of mileage runs and QR's QPoint promos, have got myself to Gold, renewed Gold, and recently got up to Platinum (good for Nov 30 2019 - Nov 29 2020)

It's highly unlikely I'll travel enough this year to retain Platinum, so I'm curious about what will happen when it ends?

1. If there were miles that would've expired during the membership but stayed alive because of the Platinum status, will they disappear on Nov 30th? Or will they stay on to the end of that quarter?

2. Will my new status be calculated only on the last year of travel after status expiry (i.e. 1-year window starting at Dec 1 2019 - Nov 30 2020 and rolling forward)?
what if I had enough points for (say) Gold at an intermediate point - would that be considered? e.g. June 1 2019 - May 31 2020, which would have gotten me a Gold from June 1 2020 to May 31 2021?)

(BTW the reason I'd like to keep at least Gold is for lounge access for me + wife + child, plus priority check in, etc which makes travelling with a child so much easier; and I wouldn't be able to get to Sapphire on other OW carriers flying to CMB)
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
1. I never experienced it but I would bet they expire immediately after your Platinum is over and don't stick up to the end of the quarter.
2. Aside of certain promotion, to reach Platinum you need to earn 600 Qpoints in a 12 months period of time (and get at least 20% of these Qpoints from QR flights or from at least 4 QR flights). Even if you don't earn any Qpoints during your Platinum status year (30-NOV-2019 to 29-NOV-2020) you should be able to get a Gold status after that, because you meet the 24th month requalification Qpoints thresthold for Gold, which is 540 Qpoints over the past 24 months (you got 600 Qpoints), provided 20% of the 540 required Qpoints came from QR flights or provided you credited at least 8 QR flights over the 24 previous months (the requirement is 4 flights for a 12 months (re)qualification period and 8 for a 24 months (re)qualification period).
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Matt4
1. I never experienced it but I would bet they expire immediately after your Platinum is over and don't stick up to the end of the quarter.
2. Aside of certain promotion, to reach Platinum you need to earn 600 Qpoints in a 12 months period of time (and get at least 20% of these Qpoints from QR flights or from at least 4 QR flights). Even if you don't earn any Qpoints during your Platinum status year (30-NOV-2019 to 29-NOV-2020) you should be able to get a Gold status after that, because you meet the 24th month requalification Qpoints thresthold for Gold, which is 540 Qpoints over the past 24 months (you got 600 Qpoints), provided 20% of the 540 required Qpoints came from QR flights or provided you credited at least 8 QR flights over the 24 previous months (the requirement is 4 flights for a 12 months (re)qualification period and 8 for a 24 months (re)qualification period).
But would they use the renewal criteria for Gold when my last status was Platinum?
doing so would mean that almost* every person who got platinum via qpoints (ie excluding the status extension / upgrade promotions) would automatically get a gold year tagged on; and almost* every person who earned a gold would automatically get a silver year tagged on

* exception would be where they earned with only 4 QR flights and then wouldn’t meet the 8 QR flights over 24 months criteria
Old Jan 4, 2020, 4:03 pm

Yes, that is correct. Obtaining Platinum means in most cases automatically achieving Gold if one doesn’t requalify. Many airlines have a similar unofficial policy (often referred to as a soft landing), where QR’s 12 & 24 month requalification assessments makes it more guaranteed.

Originally Posted by Sifaan
But would they use the renewal criteria for Gold when my last status was Platinum?
They’re not using Gold vs Platinum criteria as such. They are simply assessing your 24 month Qpoints earning and applying your status on that basis. Because Gold requires half the Qpoints of Platinum over 24 months you effectively always get downgraded to Gold regardless of what your 12 month earnings were - assuming you have met the QR metal requirements.
Sifaan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.