Wiki Posts
Search

Reflections on QR after a break

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2020, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Reflections on QR after a break

A Happy New Year to everyone.

We've just completed four sectors LHR-CGK-LHR on QR after what I worked out is a three year break. I thought I might offer some random reflections:

1) The check in area remains grotty as ever at LHR. A bit of a shock after mainly T2 departures.
2) The London Lounge seemed just a tad tired, the food really wasn't as good either ala carte or from the buffet as we remembered, and where has the LP Rose gone?! Overall still a really good lounge experience.
3) Boarding late the J class bridge had been closed meaning we had to queue up. No problem, but as habitual late boarders we didn't remember this ever in the past.
4) Middle Q Suite for a couple, was awesome to start with for a day flight, except for the first time ever in 30 years flying I was airsick. Ultimately once the novelty had worn off though we concluded that the suite felt claustrophobic, and a bit airless (even on a 777 with vents). Last night in bed mode, I found the bed narrow, hard and it had an annoying ridge. I was also airsick a second time. I'd suspect flying backwards to be the issue, except I've done it with BA just fine. Interacting with the crew was markedly less easy, and less pleasant with the doors closed, which I found added little to the ambience. I like the organic style of service that a more open cabin brings. The 787 legs were, as always great in this regard. The seat is also a better bed. Other aspects of the 787 product looked comparatively dated next to Qsuite. I had no sickness problems on the 787, and felt 'better' in general. The 787 remains a favourite with just the 22 seats in J which always seems very relaxed.
5) Sick bags should be placed to hand, not buried in a plastic bag in the hard to open side pedestal. I think my body gave me about 10 seconds, and I failed to find it in time the first time. The crew were really, really, really very good about it. There should also be clear instructions about what to do with the bag 'afterwards' :-(
6) Al Mourjan remains an oasis of calm in the daytime, and an unspeakably chaotic experience which I'd rather skip around midnight. It remains soulless. The F&B is massively worse three years on.
7) Cabin crew remain in the main friendly, and unfailingly polite. I was genuinely touched about how concerned with my welfare the crew on the flights where I was airsick were.
8) The onboard F&B took a nosedive about three years ago, which prompted us to move on. It's now worse in terms of choice and quality. That said I enjoyed the Gosset Rose and unusually for me, really enjoyed the Congee.
9) Dine on demand is both blessing and a curse.
10) QR being a OW member is a massive benefit. The BA codeshares are very handy too.
11) Comparing QR to recent flights with other Gulf Carriers - QR I think bests Etihad across the board, but I prefer the 787/380 seat on Etihad to the QSuite (really), Emirates - I love your crews, but hate the seat. Oddly, the best experience I've had in ages on board was Gulf Air in the apex suite on their 787. Great Bed - beats the lot for a good nights sleep. Overall I think we'll happily go back to QR when the price and schedule works.

Well I hope you forgive my random reflections!
Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:58 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mr_botak
4) Middle Q Suite for a couple, was awesome to start with for a day flight, except for the first time ever in 30 years flying I was airsick. Ultimately once the novelty had worn off though we concluded that the suite felt claustrophobic, and a bit airless (even on a 777 with vents). Last night in bed mode, I found the bed narrow, hard and it had an annoying ridge. I was also airsick a second time. I'd suspect flying backwards to be the issue, except I've done it with BA just fine.
I've also experienced feeling sick in the qsuite - both facing forwards and backwards - which took me by surprise the first couple of times. Fortunately, I found lying down was enough to relieve the nausea. I haven't experienced this in other J or Y layouts and I wondered if it was the fixed higher walls of a suite messing with my balance while the aircraft is moving (instead of the openness of other layouts). I don't feel ill every time - but when I have it's always been in the qsuite. Sad times!
Old Jan 1, 2020, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by purple1addict
I've also experienced feeling sick in the qsuite - both facing forwards and backwards - which took me by surprise the first couple of times. Fortunately, I found lying down was enough to relieve the nausea. I haven't experienced this in other J or Y layouts and I wondered if it was the fixed higher walls of a suite messing with my balance while the aircraft is moving (instead of the openness of other layouts). I don't feel ill every time - but when I have it's always been in the qsuite. Sad times!
Thanks. Nice to know I'm not alone, I was actually quite disturbed by the whole episode. Good point about the lack of visual reference. I meant to ask a member of the crew if they'd noticed any trends, but they were mega busy and I slept through to London in the end. Sad times indeed. I concluded that I'd probably avoid the qsuite in future and stick to the 380s out of LHR.
purple1addict likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:53 am

Oh Noooooo…… Our first time flying Q Suites and we are very excited. We have booked the middle together on I believe 3 of our 4 legs with the other one still being backwards at the windows. Now I am wondering if we should just stick to the forward facing single seats just in case! ugh. What to do?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Bravada04
Oh Noooooo…… Our first time flying Q Suites and we are very excited. We have booked the middle together on I believe 3 of our 4 legs with the other one still being backwards at the windows. Now I am wondering if we should just stick to the forward facing single seats just in case! ugh. What to do?
I wouldn’t worry too much. You’ll most likely only ever notice you’re flying backwards during takeoff and landing, and I personally still find the Qsuites to be one of the best hard products of the industry.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 12:24 pm
Suspended

A Happy New Year to everyone.

We've just completed four sectors LHR-CGK-LHR on QR after what I worked out is a three year break. I thought I might offer some random reflections:

1) The check in area remains grotty as ever at LHR. A bit of a shock after mainly T2 departures.
2) The London Lounge seemed just a tad tired, the food really wasn't as good either ala carte or from the buffet as we remembered, and where has the LP Rose gone?! Overall still a really good lounge experience.
3) Boarding late the J class bridge had been closed meaning we had to queue up. No problem, but as habitual late boarders we didn't remember this ever in the past.
4) Middle Q Suite for a couple, was awesome to start with for a day flight, except for the first time ever in 30 years flying I was airsick. Ultimately once the novelty had worn off though we concluded that the suite felt claustrophobic, and a bit airless (even on a 777 with vents). Last night in bed mode, I found the bed narrow, hard and it had an annoying ridge. I was also airsick a second time. I'd suspect flying backwards to be the issue, except I've done it with BA just fine. Interacting with the crew was markedly less easy, and less pleasant with the doors closed, which I found added little to the ambience. I like the organic style of service that a more open cabin brings. The 787 legs were, as always great in this regard. The seat is also a better bed. Other aspects of the 787 product looked comparatively dated next to Qsuite. I had no sickness problems on the 787, and felt 'better' in general. The 787 remains a favourite with just the 22 seats in J which always seems very relaxed.
5) Sick bags should be placed to hand, not buried in a plastic bag in the hard to open side pedestal. I think my body gave me about 10 seconds, and I failed to find it in time the first time. The crew were really, really, really very good about it. There should also be clear instructions about what to do with the bag 'afterwards' :-(
6) Al Mourjan remains an oasis of calm in the daytime, and an unspeakably chaotic experience which I'd rather skip around midnight. It remains soulless. The F&B is massively worse three years on.
7) Cabin crew remain in the main friendly, and unfailingly polite. I was genuinely touched about how concerned with my welfare the crew on the flights where I was airsick were.
8) The onboard F&B took a nosedive about three years ago, which prompted us to move on. It's now worse in terms of choice and quality. That said I enjoyed the Gosset Rose and unusually for me, really enjoyed the Congee.
9) Dine on demand is both blessing and a curse.
10) QR being a OW member is a massive benefit. The BA codeshares are very handy too.
11) Comparing QR to recent flights with other Gulf Carriers - QR I think bests Etihad across the board, but I prefer the 787/380 seat on Etihad to the QSuite (really), Emirates - I love your crews, but hate the seat. Oddly, the best experience I've had in ages on board was Gulf Air in the apex suite on their 787. Great Bed - beats the lot for a good nights sleep. Overall I think we'll happily go back to QR when the price and schedule works.

Well I hope you forgive my random reflections!
Al Mourjan must have been a shock - when I think about the experiences I had there soon after it opened compared to now I cant think of another lounge product that started so strong and took such a nose dive!

I am curious about your experiences feeling claustrophobic with the QSuite but not with BA Club World, EY or GF? Did you manage to avoid the rear facing seats with them? What do you make of that? I find the Apex seats to feel much more boxed in especially around the head. I feel nothing is quite the same as the beautiful open feeling of the QR A380 premium products and lounge - that will be such a loss when it retires. How else was the GF experience for you compared to QSuite or QR in general onboard on the ground? Its been ages since I flew them.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:31 pm

Ok. Your advice will be taken. I just logged out of the QR website and was going back & forth as to what to do! We never get airsick........will leave it as is.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 5:36 pm

This worries me. Got my first ever business class long haul flights booked for the summer in a combination of herringbone and qsuite.
Went with Qatar on the strength of the positive noise I've been hearing in the past year or so, particular in regards to the qsuite.
As I don't really have a business class yard stick to measure against, perhaps it'll be fantastic regardless.
SullyofDoha likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fly_IAD
Al Mourjan must have been a shock - when I think about the experiences I had there soon after it opened compared to now I cant think of another lounge product that started so strong and took such a nose dive!
I do recall the days of Krug and ala carte after AM opened with great fondness. We never really moved on from the loss the premium terminal and are therefore hardened to the loss!

I am curious about your experiences feeling claustrophobic with the QSuite but not with BA Club World, EY or GF? Did you manage to avoid the rear facing seats with them? What do you make of that? I find the Apex seats to feel much more boxed in especially around the head. I feel nothing is quite the same as the beautiful open feeling of the QR A380 premium products and lounge - that will be such a loss when it retires. How else was the GF experience for you compared to QSuite or QR in general onboard on the ground? Its been ages since I flew them.
You and me both. I do a modest amount of flying in Club World, and almost always snag a window seat and fly backwards with no problem. Etihad I think has been four times in a true window which I recall face forwards, no problem. GF much the same. Generally we try and sit towards the front of the cabin so pitch/yaw moment is unlikely to be a differentiating factor, although the 77W is of course very long. If I had to nail it down to something I'd perhaps suggest that Apex Suite and CW are long and thin products with the screen stowed, whereas Qsuite is a box with the screen right in front of you. That certainly made it feel confined to me. I suspect we will never know.

I flew GF rather randomly about eighteen months ago when they started the 787 on LHR. In general GF were a notch down on the ground to the other Gulf Carriers. The lounge at LHR is acceptable, but nothing special, same for BAH. Good curry in both though. Crew were good on board, the apex suite lovely and the food more basic than you'd find on other carriers, but actually well executed. The dessert trolley is still going strong and a delight! Wine selection was poor, the advice from the crew being to stick with the Champagne which was as I recall Feuillatte. Really nice coffee, and a date and Arabic coffee pre-departure.
Fly_IAD likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aston100
This worries me. Got my first ever business class long haul flights booked for the summer in a combination of herringbone and qsuite.
Went with Qatar on the strength of the positive noise I've been hearing in the past year or so, particular in regards to the qsuite.
As I don't really have a business class yard stick to measure against, perhaps it'll be fantastic regardless.
Please don't panic. The other 41 people in the cabin on Monday seemed to have a fabulous time, enjoying something of a pre New Year's eve party!

You'll be fine with rear facing seats for a couple. It was very intimate, and was indeed special for us.

You'll always remember your first business or first class experience as something special. Ignore much of the nit-picking that goes on here, business is business class and huge step up whatever the carrier. Indeed I can't think of a better way to start than on QR. Mine was on an MH 737-400 from SUB-LGK some twenty odd years ago. I'll still tell you that the lounge was fabulous, the seat amazing, and the service the best!
Old Jan 2, 2020, 5:48 am
Suspended

We never really moved on from the loss the premium terminal and are therefore hardened to the loss!

That was a great ground product at the old Doha airport - was really ahead of its time.
SullyofDoha and Traveller999 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 5:52 am
Suspended

I flew GF rather randomly about eighteen months ago when they started the 787 on LHR. In general GF were a notch down on the ground to the other Gulf Carriers. The lounge at LHR is acceptable, but nothing special, same for BAH. Good curry in both though. Crew were good on board, the apex suite lovely and the food more basic than you'd find on other carriers, but actually well executed. The dessert trolley is still going strong and a delight! Wine selection was poor, the advice from the crew being to stick with the Champagne which was as I recall Feuillatte. Really nice coffee, and a date and Arabic coffee pre-departure.
Great comparison, thank you. If you have experienced, what is the check-in area/fast track security for GF Falcon like in BAH? Many times I have almost booked with GF I would have to stay the night in BAH which would be fine as the Four Seasons there looks excellent but I have wondered about the premium airport facilities compared to QR premium check in/security/immigration which is just world class at DOH. Would be interested in a GF comparison if you are also familiar with the QR premium check in departing DOH?
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Great comparison, thank you. If you have experienced, what is the check-in area/fast track security for GF Falcon like in BAH? Many times I have almost booked with GF I would have to stay the night in BAH which would be fine as the Four Seasons there looks excellent but I have wondered about the premium airport facilities compared to QR premium check in/security/immigration which is just world class at DOH. Would be interested in a GF comparison if you are also familiar with the QR premium check in departing DOH?
Sorry I went on to BKK. Nothing else in BAH came close to that in DOH so I'd be amazed if the premium ground handling was comparable.
Fly_IAD likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: QR Plat
That was a great ground product at the old Doha airport - was really ahead of its time.
For the really old geezers in here, the Premium Terminal was best before the expansion, even back with the PT there was the issue of decline in catering...

-A
mr_botak, Fly_IAD and Traveller999 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.