Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Changing into pyjamas in Qsuites - etiquette?

Changing into pyjamas in Qsuites - etiquette?

Old Dec 31, 2019, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by fender5787
Perhaps it’s because I’m a prude yankee, but anytime I’m in a Nordic sauna, Russian bathhouse, or japanese onsen, I just get hella creeped out and uncomfortable by all the men that seem to be perfectly cool chilling in their birthday suits; in a way totally defeating the purpose of visiting said sauna . But regardless, as others have said, a business class cabin is not a sauna (although one might be forgiven in thinking that with the temperatures some Asian carriers keep their cabins at), hence it’s best to have a modicum of humility and keep the changing to the lavs. This is QR after all and not hooters air ��
The only explanation I can think of for you needing humility when changing into your PJs is if passers-by would be so envious of your previously hidden attributes that you would be filled with pride.
DC9 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:40 pm

The problem with using the toilets is urine on the floor. It takes a degree in balance and contortion to do so without contaminating the pjs or, worse, one’s trousers.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Greenpen
The problem with using the toilets is urine on the floor. It takes a degree in balance and contortion to do so without contaminating the pjs or, worse, ones trousers.
I didn't think Qatar or any other decent airline (especially in a premium cabin) allowed the toilets to get to that state.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 11:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PAL62V
So, first flight in Qsuites coming up. Normally change in the bathroom. Is it okay to change in your Qsuites??
I really mean this in friendly jest -- but really asking where to change your clothes is amusing! If people on an online forum had responded by saying change in the mid galley but only during meal service would you have gone with that answer ?
IAN-UK and indomie like this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 1:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was just on a few flights in Q Suites. The flight attendants when handing out the pyjamas directed me to change in the bathroom if I wanted to use them. I would imagine changing in your suite is not a good idea
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:01 pm

Qsuites - changing etiquette

There are these marvelous clothing options you can use when flying... basically theyre sweat pants that look like real slacks. You can be comfortable and business casual dress at the same time. Theyre comfy for sleeping too. Changing on a plane, even in international first class, is just an awful idea and never goes well. The bathroom is too small to move in, and dont think the floors are really clean... and changing in the aisle where people can see you in your undies just dont.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:08 pm

Pajama etiquette

I've flown QSuite and it's great. The pajamas are also very comfortable and stylish for plus size pax. I personally changed in the restroom because passengers/staff were always walking in the aisles.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Here's how I manage pajama etiquette in Qsuites - 2 strategies:

1. board wearing a skirt (men could try a kilt) and once inside one's Qsuite, pull up the PJ bottoms, then ditch the skirt. Just like changing on the beach. Then tunnel under the purple blanket and change one's top under there.

2. less elegant and more cumbersome, bring PJs from a previous QR flight in handbaggage, change in the showers or restrooms in the lounge before boarding, and then save the new PJs (which will be offered shortly after one boards) for the next QR flight.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I generally use the bathroom, but several times I've just covered myself with the blanket and swapped out of the jeans and into the PJ's, or vice versa. Commando works just fine if you are fully covered.

Then again, there have been times when I've been traveling an insane amount and am not offered PJ's and I don't want to sleep in my pants so I just go naked under the blanket. No one knows. No one cares.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Aston100
I didn't think Qatar or any other decent airline (especially in a premium cabin) allowed the toilets to get to that state.
You haven't flown much!! All areas around the toilet have urine on them on most all airlines. The only exception are Japanese airline premium cabins where the crew fastidiously cleans each time a man walks out of the lav. I've never seen this done on QR. Oh, I have seen this on EK F, but not business class.
jrpallante likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:12 pm

Out of interest, what is your opinion on toilet cubicles in the USA, which seem to have massive gaps all around, and can often lead to unwanted eye contact?
Politely jumping in here: the Japanese attitude "nakedness is often seen, but never looked at" might be helpful. Slide glance away. It NEVER happened. As to lavs on planes, the floor is unbelievable. I shall get a grant to do a study why mens' aim disintegrates at 30,000 feet. Someone asked me once, "should I put my shoes back on to go to the lav" Answered "I suggest Wellingtons."
narvik likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:10 pm

You can tell this thread just made Talkmail.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
You haven't flown much!! All areas around the toilet have urine on them on most all airlines. The only exception are Japanese airline premium cabins where the crew fastidiously cleans each time a man walks out of the lav. I've never seen this done on QR. Oh, I have seen this on EK F, but not business class.
Which makes no sense at all as everyone knows that First Class urine is top notch whereas Business Class pee - well what can I say
thijsseh likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:14 pm

As a mild germophobe, there is no way I would change in an airplane bathroom, and risk my feet or clothes touching the dirty (and often wet) floor. Besides, there is insufficient space in the bathroom to comfortably change, no place to put your street clothes, etc. I always grab the free jammies on international flights, but never actually wear them on the plane. I just take them to wear at home. However, the Qsuites are quite spacious, and the privacy walls are over 4' tall, so you could discretely change while seated in your private suite.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:53 pm

Hah, the photoshopped pictures on Qatar website seem to show the door being about 2 feet higher than a normal human's head.
As I recall, the privacy walls were about even with the top of my head when seated, and I am 5'10". I would guess the door is at least 4' high, maybe a little taller. Definitely plenty of room to discretely change into jammies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.