Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

CAN flights with 388 finish Jan 20, 2020.

Old Dec 25, 2019, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: QC Life, QFF Plat No 0010XXX, AA Plat 2 MM, Sinbad Blue, HHonors Dia., Marriott Titanium, IHG Amb

And they stopped selling “A” seats about 5 days ago.
So does this mean no 388’s flying anywhere in Asia. I wonder where they have been redeployed.
John.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The A380s go where capacity is needed.
CDG seems to be getting 2 flights with A380 on most days (used to be one). LHR has be getting two A380 flights too.
JohnSydney2000 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: Some
Well, that sucks, but I always thought the CAN route was odd as the only A380 in Asia. Means the only A380/A380 connecting F ticket possible from Europe are now to SYD/MEL, which is going to kill a lot of my QR flying. They should put it back on BKK!
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: QC Life, QFF Plat No 0010XXX, AA Plat 2 MM, Sinbad Blue, HHonors Dia., Marriott Titanium, IHG Amb
Yes, it was a good AONE* segment to/from Asia. ( DOH-BKK )
Then they switched it to the much less amenable CAN.
Now, they are removing it from CAN on the date I stated above. But maddeningly, they have zeroed out all availability, but still flying the aircraft for another 25 days!

So I am unable to fly it in my newest AONE*, ( would have had the segment well before the 20th) what sort of logic is this by their revenue people, when the craft is going to keep flying for a few more weeks.
John.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by brunos
The A380s go where capacity is needed.
Or where high ranking Qatari government officials/royalty tend to fly (due to their business/personal interests) to so that they can fly F?
NoY likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by daniellam
Or where high ranking Qatari government officials/royalty tend to fly (due to their business/personal interests) to so that they can fly F?
They have the Qatari Amiri (Royal) Flight for that sort of thing.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
They have the Qatari Amiri (Royal) Flight for that sort of thing.
Which is a fair point, but I believe not all members of the wider Royal Family will be eligible for the Amiri flights?

In any case I've seen F to LHR always heavily booked, and towards CDG it might be the same (at least I see plenty of Qatari passports in the Georges V all time
SullyofDoha likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnSydney2000
Yes, it was a good AONE* segment to/from Asia. ( DOH-BKK )
Then they switched it to the much less amenable CAN.
Now, they are removing it from CAN on the date I stated above. But maddeningly, they have zeroed out all availability, but still flying the aircraft for another 25 days!

So I am unable to fly it in my newest AONE*, ( would have had the segment well before the 20th) what sort of logic is this by their revenue people, when the craft is going to keep flying for a few more weeks.
John.
Apparently the 77W (no Qsuites) is starting replacing the A380 on 1 January.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:15 am

It will not be redeployed. Network is withdrawing the 380 from CAN so there is a spare frame to maintain schedule integrity. MEL in particular is currently prone to delays when a frame goes tech and this causes significant issues with pax from the delayed inbound missing the morning connections bank.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 2:37 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Is this just a temporary thing? OP sounds like it is permanent, but to me first looks bookable on DOH-CAN starting march 29.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intuition
Is this just a temporary thing? OP sounds like it is permanent, but to me first looks bookable on DOH-CAN starting march 29.
Nothing is ever permanent with QR ac scheduling. And 30 March is very long term.. It could be a placeholder for the summer season
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:20 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I guess that is true

Still, keeping a "spare frame" indefinitely is costly. If that indeed is the reason. A period of increased maintenance could also fit the bill.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intuition
I guess that is true

Still, keeping a "spare frame" indefinitely is costly. If that indeed is the reason. A period of increased maintenance could also fit the bill.
A380 are prone to develop unexpected technical problems. That is a big complaint by many airlines. One reason why AF is getting rid of its A380 and usually had one in reserve.

Airlines usually keep a frame or two at their hub as potential replacement for unexpected technical problems.
With only 10 A380s it is hard to play the law of large numbers. It is easier with a large fleet of 777s.
It is a cost-benefit analysis to evaluate whether it is better to keep a spare A380 in case of technical problems (which might take more than a day to solve), or to have a full schedule for the birds with the risk of a lot of scheduling problems in case of a bird immobilized for a prolonged period. That includes issues of pilot certification for different types of planes.

QR is phasing out its A380s.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 10:47 am
Moderator, Finnair

I don't disagree with that analysis, but we are still just speculating. It would be interesting to know (yes, I know - that's unrealistic) what really is the cause. Without it, it is rather complicated flying to CAN in first.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by brunos
A380 are prone to develop unexpected technical problems. That is a big complaint by many airlines. One reason why AF is getting rid of its A380 and usually had one in reserve.

Airlines usually keep a frame or two at their hub as potential replacement for unexpected technical problems.
With only 10 A380s it is hard to play the law of large numbers. It is easier with a large fleet of 777s.
It is a cost-benefit analysis to evaluate whether it is better to keep a spare A380 in case of technical problems (which might take more than a day to solve), or to have a full schedule for the birds with the risk of a lot of scheduling problems in case of a bird immobilized for a prolonged period. That includes issues of pilot certification for different types of planes.

QR is phasing out its A380s.
Do you have any statistics that show A380s are less reliable (either per aircraft or per passenger transported) than other long haul aircraft types? If not, I'm afraid this is just hearsay.

QR is indeed phasing out its A380s but not for 5 years, so I'm not sure the phase out really has anything to do with the CAN decision.
intuition likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.