A380 upper deck - seat selection

Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Silver
Question A380 upper deck - seat selection

I tried to reserve a seat on the A380 upper deck economy (I'm QR silver), on FRA-DOH, but all the seats on the upper deck are shown greyed out.
My flight is in more than 1 month from now. I have an 85 min. connection Schengen-international in FRA.

Does anybody have an idea why this doesn't work and if there's anything I can do?
Old Dec 24, 2019, 4:00 pm

gumbleby unless the lower deck is full then the upper deck is reserved for status passengers. Status includes PC Gold and Platinum, OWSapphire and OWEmerald. Sometimes it also includes PC Silver and full fare paying passengers. Partners etc are not allowed.

Since you say in your profile that you are 'Programs: QR burgundy' the reason that the upper deck is not available to you is that you are not qualified for those seats.
See a380-upper-deck-economy-seat-selection-pc-members or one of several other threads for more information.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Actually I am QR Silver. I was convinced I changed it before posting, ended up doing it after your post.
I tought Silver was enough for the upper deck, apparently not. Thanks. I hope I can still select it on check-in.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 5:01 am

Silver is enough to be able to reserve seats on the upper deck. I've done it a few times.
I've even managed to get the family on the upper deck too, but when travelling on the same itinerary as non status passengers, I had to do it at check in.. with no problems.
Good luck
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:31 am
Original Poster

I called QR. Apparently there's been a policy change and Silver is no longer enough to request the upper deck.
florin, energydj, zsc and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:46 pm

Oh I'm sorry to hear that.. !
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Ouch :-(
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:48 pm
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Ouch. Having availed of this privilege multiple times while still crediting to QRPC, it seems like such a shame that they're invoking such a policy. This only makes QRPC ever-so-slightly less desirable.
florin likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: QRPC-Gold
After selecting my partners seats today (QR Silver) the upper deck was indeed blocked off. This is a shame for us as Gold myself we won’t be able to travel together (flights booked separately for work purposes) on the upper deck. How annoying. I wonder their reasons for doing this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:09 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Sorry to all those negatively affected by the upper deck policy change. I would add that sometimes (from LHR at least) I've seen the upper deck busy while on the same flight whole sections of the lower deck are empty - so this change doesn't massively surprise me.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:25 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
I flew last year and the upper deck was available for silver members. London to Doha. No more than 100 passengers all together and the upper deck was quite empty. I will reconsider next time if I am still silver and not gold.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:01 pm

Can these seats at least be assigned to Silvers at check-in?
Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I was in 30G for a recent DOH - LHR flight. Very pleasant for a Y flight
Old Jan 20, 2020, 1:35 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Becky8
After selecting my partners seats today (QR Silver) the upper deck was indeed blocked off. This is a shame for us as Gold myself we wont be able to travel together (flights booked separately for work purposes) on the upper deck. How annoying. I wonder their reasons for doing this.
I guess they changed the policy because in the past the UD was always full even when the plane was not, and Im sure there wasnt a lot of QR/oneworld status pax on UD, especially on flights departing to/from CDG (it seems like check-in agents were very accommodating). But to restrict access to UD to only Gold and Platinum seems to me a bit too much. They could have allowed Silver too without filling all the UD.
In your case, you should ask to move your partner to UD at airport check-in. If asked nicely, I dont see any reason why they wouldnt accept... especially if they have to put non-Gold/Platinum members on UD because LD is full ;-)
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:18 pm

And we have our answer. QR has introduced paid seats in Y and the upper deck on the A380 is now a paid section. It's free for Gold and Platinum members and Silvers get a 25% discount for the seat selection fee. It's also free for the pricier Y fare classes.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qata...e-buckets.html
https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/...eats-Selection

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.