Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Who to call if partner airline offers free changes due to weather

Old Dec 12, 19, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold

I'm YUL-ORD-DOH-BOM in 2 weeks with the YUL-ORD leg on AC metal. Given that it's winter here, I want to have a strategy in place in case there is a winter storm.

Let's say there is a definite winter storm projected in YUL, AC would allow for free changes even a few days prior sometimes.. If this was to occur, would I call Qatar or Air Canada to make a change to let's say an earlier flight to ORD? I assume I would call Qatar and let them in that Air Canada is offering free changes and have them rebook me to say an earlier flight the night before so I don't miss my connection in ORD? Or just call AC and have them rebook me?
Old Dec 13, 19, 12:34 am

Programs: QR Plat ( Y-Commuter)
QR have no responibility towards your positioning flight but if the whole journey its bought on one single ticket, then and if its snowstorm in YUL, it will be sorted there on date of departure.
Old Dec 13, 19, 1:01 am

Programs: BAEC, Accor
If you get enough advance notice of free changes by AC, 24hrs before departure, then call Qatar. It's a QR issued ticket, your contract is with them, they need to reissue.

Once you get to 24 hrs before departure the ticket now goes under airport control. It's still a Qatar ticket and their responsibility to change it but if you can get to the airport then you will probably find the airport staff have much more empowerment to change the ticket. Call centre staff often frequently struggle to do sensible things with tickets that are under airport control.

The chance that Air Canada call centres will be able to do anything useful is small - they would always have to refer to Qatar.
Old Dec 13, 19, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
If this is on two separate tickets, then it is your responsibility to arrive on time for your QR flight from ORD. Whether this QR flight will be delayed by weather is a separate issue.

If this is on a single ticket issued by AC, then AC should sort it out. If it is QR, then QR will sort it out.
But AC policy of free changes is irrelevant to QR.

Also remember that QR has no staff at YUL.

Last edited by brunos; Dec 13, 19 at 6:04 am
Old Dec 13, 19, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold
It is 1 ticket issued by QR and good to know about the 24 hour cutoff.
Thanks for everyone's feedback!
Old Dec 13, 19, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Good luck and don't worry much.
Old Dec 13, 19, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You face the additional problem that if all that AC has issued is a waiver and has not cancelled or delayed the flight, that QR may refuse to act.

You are then caught in a no man's land until the day of travel (not necessarily 24 hours, depending on how QR chooses to look at it). At that point, you then get stuck on the availability front as others who were booked on UA/AC have already taken care of their changes.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: