FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   HIA Metro Station Now Open (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1999137-hia-metro-station-now-open.html)

Ben_W Dec 9, 2019 9:31 pm

HIA Metro Station Now Open

As of today (well 6am this morning) the remaining Doha Metro Red Line stations (including HIA) and the Green Line have now opened. This means that the all lines are now operational allowing passengers to take the metro to and from the airport.
A one way ticket costs QR2.

IAN-UK Dec 10, 2019 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Ben_W (Post 31823784)
As of today (well 6am this morning) the remaining Doha Metro Red Line stations (including HIA) and the Green Line have now opened. This means that the all lines are now operational allowing passengers to take the metro to and from the airport.
A one way ticket costs QR2.

There was some talk of the airport being a "special" fare zone. Good to see that hasn't been implemented.

FlyingScientist Dec 10, 2019 9:48 am

Looks like the opening hours of the Metro (6:00 – 23:00, not before 14:00 on Fri) are poorly aligned with the bulk of arrivals/departures at DOH...

Ben_W Dec 10, 2019 11:51 am

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist (Post 31825531)
Looks like the opening hours of the Metro (6:00 – 23:00, not before 14:00 on Fri) are poorly aligned with the bulk of arrivals/departures at DOH...

The metro is still in what is being called ‘a preview service’ allowing for extra engineering hours to iron out any systems issues.
The planned final hours are from 5:00 - 1:00 and from 8:00 on Fridays.

Loungeabout Dec 19, 2019 7:36 am

We used the metro from HIA last week, once you find it, it is fantastic.
Once you come out of arrivals there are no signs at all for the Metro.
Take the lift to level 1 & follow the signs for the West car park, just keep going & eventually moving walkways appear with signs for Metro. Just ask the security guards along the way to confirm you’re heading in the right direction.
It was about a 5mins walk, there are plenty of staff to help with tickets etc.
We had one medium size case plus hand luggage & it was easy, all step free, lifts down to platform level.
We stayed at the Marriott Marquis, which is right next to DECC station.
It took 23mins direct from HIA & we took the lift at DECC to street level, 2min walk into the hotel.
An absolute bargain at 2 QAR each & the metro leaves every 5mins from HIA.
So well worth a try if travelling reasonably light & hotel is near a metro station.

Ben_W Dec 19, 2019 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Loungeabout (Post 31856324)
We used the metro from HIA last week, once you find it, it is fantastic.
Once you come out of arrivals there are no signs at all for the Metro.
Take the lift to level 1 & follow the signs for the West car park, just keep going & eventually moving walkways appear with signs for Metro. Just ask the security guards along the way to confirm you’re heading in the right direction.
It was about a 5mins walk, there are plenty of staff to help with tickets etc.
We had one medium size case plus hand luggage & it was easy, all step free, lifts down to platform level.
We stayed at the Marriott Marquis, which is right next to DECC station.
It took 23mins direct from HIA & we took the lift at DECC to street level, 2min walk into the hotel.
An absolute bargain at 2 QAR each & the metro leaves every 5mins from HIA.
So well worth a try if travelling reasonably light & hotel is near a metro station.

I’ve heard a few comments regarding lack of signage in the airport and have raised this with the appropriate department within Qatar Rail. Although it’s up to the airport to sort out, but that’s been a bit of a problem generally where many malls, museums etc who have barely mentioned they have a metro station on their doorstep.
Although I’m surprised that HIA haven’t made more of an effort as they often go on about wanting to be ‘the best’!

IAN-UK Dec 21, 2019 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Ben_W (Post 31859187)
.....many malls, museums etc who have barely mentioned they have a metro station on their doorstep.
Although I’m surprised that HIA haven’t made more of an effort as they often go on about wanting to be ‘the best’!

I think their management (including the airport's) have yet to take public transport seriously.

None of my Qatari friends have used the metro: there again, very few have taken Uber, or any other taxi :)

Ben_W Dec 21, 2019 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 31862788)
I think their management (including the airport's) have yet to take public transport seriously.

None of my Qatari friends have used the metro: there again, very few have taken Uber, or any other taxi :)

There were lots of Qataris using it the other week to go and watch the football during the Gulf Cup which was great to see.
Only really Mall of Qatar have made a fuss about having a direct Metro connection.
Still don't understand why HIA haven't done anything when they love and show off all these airport awards they win! You would think they would be making a big fuss about all the new ways of getting to the airport!

SullyofDoha Dec 22, 2019 7:08 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 31862788)

Of course they have not taken the metro. It is no difference than the Emerati in Dubai who also do not take the metro. Why? Because they have their own cars or drivers who can get them from point A to B directly without the inconvenience of using the metro. Plus, they don’t have to ‘rub shoulders’ with the working poor...

IAN-UK Dec 24, 2019 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by SullyofDoha (Post 31866032)
Of course they have not taken the metro. It is no difference than the Emerati in Dubai who also do not take the metro. Why? Because they have their own cars or drivers who can get them from point A to B directly without the inconvenience of using the metro. Plus, they don’t have to ‘rub shoulders’ with the working poor...

Well, yes: that was the unsaid motif. Thanks for giving it voice :)

SullyofDoha Dec 24, 2019 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 31874137)
Well, yes: that was the unsaid motif. Thanks for giving it voice :)

I’ve spent over 15 years in different Gulf countries, watching most people dancing around the unspoken narrative. I have no problem calling a spade...a spade!

plunet Dec 25, 2019 12:07 am

Perhaps the airport sees the metro as a threat for car parking income hence it's reticence to highlight the new public transport?

SullyofDoha Dec 25, 2019 1:11 am

Originally Posted by plunet (Post 31874388)
Perhaps the airport sees the metro as a threat for car parking income hence it's reticence to highlight the new public transport?

At 70 QR for 1 minute to 24 hours in the long term parking, of course it is a threat to an income stream. One would have to be foolish to park for even a weekend when you consider an Uber from Festival City Mall to the airport is little more than 40QR each way and the metro is only 2QR each way!

Ben_W Dec 26, 2019 1:38 am

Originally Posted by plunet (Post 31874388)

They put the parking prices up about two weeks before the Metro station opened.
Other than making an income from short term parking (for pick ups & drop offs) there is no reason for using the long term car park. You still have to wait for a bus (which isn’t designed for passengers with luggage) to get to the terminal.
A cheap taxi or QR2 metro ride are far better options.