QR to Easyjet at MXP

Old Nov 28, 19, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
QR to Easyjet at MXP

Seen a great sale fare from MXP to MLE next year. Based near LGW my best option is to position on Easy-jet

assuming an on time (2045) arrival, do I have a decent a decent shout of making the 2200 back to LGW.

Will be HBO and can be fleet footed but I see these flights will be from different terminals. Never travelled through MXP before
Old Nov 28, 19, 10:32 pm

No. T1 (QR) is on the other side of the airfield to T2 (U2) and it's at least a 15 minute slog, assuming no wait for the shuttle bus and no queues at passport control.
Old Nov 29, 19, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Ah, I remember your thread about something similar at Roma a couple of months ago. This sounds like a no-go too.
Old Nov 29, 19, 9:27 am
Original Poster

That was me. I don’t care where I come back to but really looking for an airport that enables me to catch the last flight back to London or at least have a decent chance of catching it back to London thus avoiding an overnight.

Rome was the cheapest option but the sales now make MXP the lowest. MAD, BCN, OSL, ARN and AMS are all well within budget and offer a £3000 saving per couple (minus positioning flights) over a LHR/LGW departure.

It seems the arrival time into the Euro Airport when taking the 1030 out of MLE is typically between 2100 and 2200 thus making a connection tight to impossible.

I’m a chancer by nature and am still tempted with going for the MXP option, maybe with a BA on business back up flight booked for first thing the next day. Everytime I’ve flown QR I’ve been early so despite the excellent advice, I may still choose to ignore it!

Open to any other great ideas though
Old Nov 29, 19, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by kingcole974 View Post
That was me. I donít care where I come back to but really looking for an airport that enables me to catch the last flight back to London or at least have a decent chance of catching it back to London thus avoiding an overnight.

Rome was the cheapest option but the sales now make MXP the lowest. MAD, BCN, OSL, ARN and AMS are all well within budget and offer a £3000 saving per couple (minus positioning flights) over a LHR/LGW departure.

It seems the arrival time into the Euro Airport when taking the 1030 out of MLE is typically between 2100 and 2200 thus making a connection tight to impossible.

Iím a chancer by nature and am still tempted with going for the MXP option, maybe with a BA on business back up flight booked for first thing the next day. Everytime Iíve flown QR Iíve been early so despite the excellent advice, I may still choose to ignore it!

Open to any other great ideas though
If you're saving £3000, I would spend £70-£80 and overnight in MXP and take first flight out to LGW. Would make it less stressful
Aston100 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 20, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesKidd View Post
If you're saving £3000, I would spend £70-£80 and overnight in MXP and take first flight out to LGW. Would make it less stressful
Sorry for resurrecting this one. I've still not booked and part of me is still inclined to give the same day MXP connection a go. The info on this thread is appreciated and I accept I have a very low to impossible chance of making the flight. BUT, if I was early then of course it becomes very possible. Couple that with the fact that if I went for this, all I would be risking would be a £45 Easyjet fare as I will also book a BA fight via ON Business at 8am the following morning which is fully flexible so will of course be cancelled IF I make the Easyjet flight.

That said, I have discovered another option and wondered if there was more on less chance.......

The flight from DOH to FCO is scheduled to arrive at 2050. The Easyjet flight to LGW leaves at 2155. Are the terminals for these flights easier at FCO and MXP?

Again, if I took the FCO route, then I would also book a back up flight the following morning
Old Jan 7, 20, 6:10 am

Would you truly get back every single penny of that flexible BA ticket? is there no admin charge or something that gets retained?

Regarding the connection time, I don't have experience of changing planes at those airports, but I honestly thought anything under 3 hours for changing planes on different tickets at any airport is too risky. Especially if as you stated you are saving a few thousand pounds to begin with.
Are you desperate to get back to work on a specific day and therefore cannot take an extra day's leave to do an overnight stay in Italy?
Old Jan 7, 20, 7:31 am

I'm presuming you've priced an open jaw with the return to LGW?
Old Jan 7, 20, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Yes, On business bookings are 100% refundable. Every penny. I have priced in an open jaw with a return to LGW. It comes in around £4400 which is still £1500 more than MXP or FCO return. Also, either due to availability or pricing there are no services out of Male that get me back to London the same day on 9th June. With either of my proposed MXP or FCO options I at least have a chance of getting back that evening and if not, I am on BA the following day, arriving around the same time as if I done a open jaw back to LON in the first place
Old Jan 7, 20, 10:05 am

Programs: BA GGL (CCR), TK E (*G)
If I really had to choose, i would try FCO because it doesn't involve a terminal change by bus, and possibly not even passport control (twice in MXP, one entering Schengen in T1, one going non-Schengen in T2)but just a security check.
Old Jan 7, 20, 11:02 am

Programs: EC Silver FC Silver
No expert (only taken the MXP Bus once, last February) though I'd say it all depends on whether you have time to familiarize yourself with the route on the way out (between outbound flights). If not I would give yourself more than 75 minutes on the way back.

MXP T1 is two main buildings, the airport, and the garage-complex / train station / Sheraton hotel. Based on what we did in Feb 19 - You'll need to get to the far side of the latter building by taking the escalators down to the basement level of the airport, walk 60 yards or so through a little shopping complex (nothing as big as MUC), through the parking complex / public transport area, through a weird sensory exhibit, and out the far side of that building - next to the streetside entrance of the Sheraton. The Bus drops off and collects from two yellow bus shelters.

The signs posting inside T1 wasn't terrible, though no obvious place to go for information. Once you get outside (next to the Sheraton Entrance) - there is little to distinguish the inter-terminal bus stops. The bus then takes a strange route round the back of an industrial estate (that hardly inspires confidence).

Then you arrive at T2..... if Easy Jet did Airports .... a sea of orange and confused travelers. If you have fast track through security, and HBO like you say, you will find it quite straightforward. It's a small terminal (though it does the ikea trick of making you walk through every inch of it).
Old Jan 7, 20, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the contributions. I’ve pulled the trigger on a MXP > DOH > MLE > DOH > FCO itinerary. I’ve booked positioning flights with Easy Jet from LGW. I live in Brighton so this is even better than LHR.

The 1h 5 connection at FCO from QR to Easy is very high risk, but one I’m willing to take and fully prepared to lose.

I’ll report back on my success or failure.

For those interested, the fare was 3540 Euros, so just over £2900 for the two of us. The positioning easyjet flights were just under £100 each (both of them) and that included seats in row 1 which includes speedy boarding and extra cabin baggage, which is essential as we will be HBO.

This compares to £5650 ex London, but even if this was an acceptable price, it would not get me home the same day, which with my chosen itinerary, I may just do!
Old Jan 7, 20, 5:06 pm

Do you know what aircraft and seat types you are getting?
Old Jan 8, 20, 1:38 am

Programs: BAEC, Accor
Originally Posted by Aston100 View Post
Do you know what aircraft and seat types you are getting?
On QR, don't be silly. You can tell what aircraft and seat type you're booked on but until the QR airframe roulette wheel is spun at random times between booking and the aircraft leaving a gate at Doha we all.know we won't know for certain what we will be getting. *Grin*
Old Jan 8, 20, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by plunet View Post
On QR, don't be silly. You can tell what aircraft and seat type you're booked on but until the QR airframe roulette wheel is spun at random times between booking and the aircraft leaving a gate at Doha we all.know we won't know for certain what we will be getting. *Grin*
I was wondering if he'd booked a leg or two marked as being Qsuite enabled on the Qatar website. On the basis of that Twitter quote where Qatar Customer Services said they'd allow changes if Qsuite is suddenly removed from said flight(s).
This could potentially allow better options in the event of an aircraft/equipment change later on.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: