FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Why is there somebody sitting next to me? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1996500-why-there-somebody-sitting-next-me.html)

Agent69 Nov 22, 2019 4:44 am

Why is there somebody sitting next to me?

I have a flight in J from ARN to DOH coming up shortly on the old fashioned 777 with the 2-2-2 seat layout.

The J cabin is about half full, but with availability remaining for all seat options from rows A to K. I had chosen 3A, and as OWE was hoping to have a free seat next to me. However, QR have decided to let somebody sit next to me, even though they could have sat in the next row back with a free window seat. So the question is:
  • Why would QR let this happen (BA block seats adjacent to status passengers, do QR not do the same?)
  • Why would anyone book a seat next to a stranger when there are plenty of other free setas available?

Schwann Nov 22, 2019 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Agent69 (Post 31765003)
I have a flight in J from ARN to DOH coming up shortly on the old fashioned 777 with the 2-2-2 seat layout.

The J cabin is about half full, but with availability remaining for all seat options from rows A to K. I had chosen 3A, and as OWE was hoping to have a free seat next to me. However, QR have decided to let somebody sit next to me, even though they could have sat in the next row back with a free window seat. So the question is:
  • Why would QR let this happen (BA block seats adjacent to status passengers, do QR not do the same?)
  • Why would anyone book a seat next to a stranger when there are plenty of other free setas available?

Have you checked ExpertFlyer? Could it be they have blocked the seat next to you?

Repooc17 Nov 22, 2019 5:07 am

You paid for one seat, and you are free to move to another row with an unoccupied seat next to you.

AJA_ Nov 22, 2019 5:18 am

If the row behind has both seats free why don't you just move to it? Is row 3 any better than row 4?

celtic_warrior Nov 22, 2019 5:31 am

They used to block the seat next to you unless the flight was full, they have stopped doing this for about a year.

Agent69 Nov 22, 2019 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Schwann (Post 31765016)
Have you checked ExpertFlyer? Could it be they have blocked the seat next to you?

I've checked with EF and the only blocked seats are row 1

Agent69 Nov 22, 2019 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 31765027)
You paid for one seat, and you are free to move to another row with an unoccupied seat next to you.

I am aware of how many seats I booked, and I am aware of my options.

I am just asking if anyone can explain how this particular scenario has arrisen

roberino Nov 22, 2019 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Agent69 (Post 31765152)
I am aware of how many seats I booked, and I am aware of my options.

Are you sure? You seem aggrieved that the airline hasn’t given you two seats when you booked one.

realgaga Nov 22, 2019 6:10 am

QR doesn't do seat blocking, not even to their own elites. Unless it's a published benefit, I don't see why they would block a seat next to you unless it's faulty or if you're Akbar Al Baker himself.

Hipplewm Nov 22, 2019 6:10 am

Maybe that person likes that seat. I choose seats based on MY preference, not what some ego ridden stranger thinks is the best seat for me.

When you get on the plane, maybe you can ask them. Hell, their secretary may have just chosen the seat that looks good for their boss that day

quinzinho Nov 22, 2019 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Hipplewm (Post 31765181)
Maybe that person likes that seat. I choose seats based on MY preference, not what some ego ridden stranger thinks is the best seat for me.

When you get on the plane, maybe you can ask them. Hell, their secretary may have just chosen the seat that looks good for their boss that day

You sound like a nice seat neighbour...

Hipplewm Nov 22, 2019 6:48 am

Originally Posted by quinzinho (Post 31765200)
You sound like a nice seat neighbour...

If I know ahead of time my seatmate doesn't like the fact that I will be sitting next to them, who cares

I'll load up on baked beans and pickled eggs and have a party

zerosideslip Nov 22, 2019 8:13 am

Why do people park next to you in an empty car park or drive up behind you at a speed greater than yours on an empty multi-lane road and then proceed to follow you. Some people like company

fotographer Nov 22, 2019 8:22 am

just move.... I have on a few occasions...

Collierkr Nov 22, 2019 9:19 am

WOW - don't even know how to respond to this elitist and entitled question. Do we really expect to have empty seats next to us now on airplanes? Prepare to be disappointed.