Wiki Posts
Search

A lot of passengers barefoot in J on QR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
A lot of passengers barefoot in J on QR

It’s now the 3rd time in four flights that I see somebody close to me in J barefoot. It’s always middle-aged men.

Am I the only one who finds this esthetically questionable, let alone not very hygienic?

After all, there’s a reason there are socks in the amenity kit.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 10:39 pm

Unhygienic for them? Yes if they are walking around, particularly into the restrooms without footwear.

Unhygienic for others wearing socks & slippers... don’t see how?

Aesthetically questionable... well, maybe not for someone with a foot fetish?
Old Nov 9, 2019, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Chris0815
Am I the only one who finds this esthetically questionable ... ?
No, it's inappropriate and gross. Do they do the same in a restaurant?
Old Nov 9, 2019, 11:20 pm

I am not sure it's intentional from the op but it's funny to see how people still believe J is a "superior" cabin. Like a filter to poor people with bad behaviors. That's not the case anymore in 2019.

Anyway, I will suggest you to talk to these middle-aged men and have a constructive exchange. Flying is an adventure full of different persons from different parts of the world with different cultures. It could be they don't give a ..... It could also be they have medical issues with their feet and can't wear socks for a long time up in the air.

Re the hygienic bit, most of the parts you are going to get in contact with in the plane has already seen more liquids and solids that you can imagine. It's not the daily vacuuming which is going to clean it properly :-).

In my personal case, I never sleep with socks on. If it is a night flight, I will happily remove them - while sleeping only. I usually sleep naked but will wear shorts and T to avoid getting bad contact eyes from my fellow travelers. Oh wait, can you wear shorts in J ;-)?

Last edited by bonboncl; Nov 10, 2019 at 12:04 am
Old Nov 10, 2019, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Not sure that’s a great analogy... I believe it’s inappropriate in many countries for people to take off their shoes (if it’s not one with tatami) and put their feet up in restaurants too?

Last edited by crackjack; Nov 10, 2019 at 1:14 am
Old Nov 10, 2019, 1:09 am

With all due respect to Asia, I just don't get the taking the shoes off thing. Just clean the floors more, and even daily if you have to. Problem solved.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: QF GA NZ WN. Accor+ Bonvoy IHC
I never have an issue with this and personally will happily take socks off, especially to sleep because my feet get very hot on aircraft. I don’t ever walk around barefoot because I think the floor is grubby and there’s the possibility of standing on something sharp.

What I find more offensive is that some people actually feel their superior views usurp those of others and then feel the need to judge, especially in a public forum. We are all entitled to our views, but we are all living on the same planet and were not born with one rule book that said we all had to be a certain way.

I suggest next time somebody offends on an aircraft, send them good positive thoughts and maybe you’ll be less offended by their actions.
wijibintheair and gordon0808 like this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 1:17 am

It's QR's call.

Just as in my house, guests keep their shoes on period. Conversely, when I'm in theirs (the remove shoes households/restaurants), I remove them, but have to remember to wear fancier socks, I suppose.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
But you do not put your legs up, nor you sleep in a restaurant.

I also do not understand very well the hygienic part. If one uses slippers to walk around, where's the issue?
I am under the impression that a lot of men hate to see other men's feet... I agree they are uglier than female ones, but a naked clean feet is not a big deal
Old Nov 10, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
As for sleeping with socks on, that's just about the most uncomfortable thing I can imagine. So if you're sat next to me in Business, there's a fairly good chance one or more of my feet my poke out from under the duvet. They're just feet for crying out loud, almost every single person in the world are born with a pair and they're no more disgusting than your hands. That you have a problem with that is really for you to deal with, not anybody else.

Originally Posted by Visconti
With all due respect to Asia, I just don't get the taking the shoes off thing. Just clean the floors more, and even daily if you have to. Problem solved.
It's not just an Asian thing. Try walking into a home in Scandinavia with your shoes on, and you'll be told in no uncertain terms that it's not on. I honestly find the practice disgusting; why on earth would you wish to drag all the grim and dirt off the streets into your home?

There's no problem to solve if you take your shoes off before walking in.
gordon0808 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: Baec
Where are people getting these socks from? My amenity bag always just has footbags in. No sign of a heel that a sock would contain. I refuse to wear such things, I don't go barefoot either.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
That you have a problem with that is really for you to deal with, not anybody else.
I have no problem adhering to my hosts house rules, even when it requires removing my shoes, though I do insist on keeping my socks on.

However, I've always found it peculiar that their need to keep their house clean supersede the comfort of their guests. Conversely, when I have guests over, except for private areas, they have free reign to all of my home without limitations or restrictions. While I suspect most would prefer to keep their shoes on, especially those with laces, they're free to take them off, I suppose. But, I've yet to have a guest prefer to walk around without shoes, at least in my house. In all these years, I've never had anyone ask or insist on waling around barefoot. Now, I have had many insist they can only have vegetarian options, but never the "we want to feel the comfort of your hardwood floors" crowd.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
My house, my rules. Besides, the vast majority of the time elapsed since we evolved into being bipeds have been spent with said feet going bare. I, for one, am finding it much more comfortable to walk around without shoes on than the opposite. Furthermore, as a token of my good will towards any and all guests, they are offered a pair of slippers when they take their shoes off. Most will, however, decline.

And, yes, since I live in Scandinavia hardwood floors sans any germ housing carpets is the order of the day. With underfloor heating, of course; we're not totally barbarian

Last edited by Sheikh Yerbooty; Nov 10, 2019 at 3:38 am
Old Nov 10, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Visconti
It really makes no sense. The housekeepers take off their shoes before coming in your room to clean, and they're walking on dirty bare floors including the bathroom. When they leave their feet are dirty. Why keep the soles of your shoes cleaned while the soles of your feet are filthy? Makes no sense at all. That's completely gross, and actually a personal health issue.
gordon0808 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
It really makes no sense. The housekeepers take off their shoes before coming in your room to clean, and they're walking on dirty bare floors including the bathroom. When they leave their feet are dirty. Why keep the soles of your shoes cleaned while the soles of your feet are filthy? Makes no sense at all. That's completely gross, and actually a personal health issue.
It make sense if everyone don't walk inside a house, apartment, room with outdoor shoes.
If the outside dirt stays out, what kind/amount of dirt can you really have on a hotel room floor cleaned once a day?
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.