Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR flight change 5 days before departure - options?

Old Nov 8, 19, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold

Hi all,

Booked our first trip with QR and we depart in a few days. Today I received an email to say that our return flight has changed - to 2 days later. We can have a refund, accept the rebook or call for other options.

What’s the likelihood of me being able to change the return city for no charge?

We booked open jaw as we wanted to travel down the country (going to Vietnam) but the revised dates don’t work for us due to work commitments, hence thinking to change to fly in/out of the same city and amend our plans slightly?
Old Nov 8, 19, 12:59 pm

Programs: BAEC, Accor
Oh dear, how bothersome.
How many days away is the return flight? Where does your journey originate from? (Not sure if EU261 protections applies)

Don't make any rash decisions, and don't get forced into accepting any change you don't want.

For example you can probably push to be flown to Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, or Singapore on a regional carrier and connect onto a QR flight from there. But let some advice trickle through here once you confirm some of the details I have suggested the forum needs above.
Old Nov 10, 19, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP LT Plat >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by plunet View Post
Oh dear, how bothersome.
How many days away is the return flight? Where does your journey originate from? (Not sure if EU261 protections applies)

Don't make any rash decisions, and don't get forced into accepting any change you don't want.

For example you can probably push to be flown to Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, or Singapore on a regional carrier and connect onto a QR flight from there. But let some advice trickle through here once you confirm some of the details I have suggested the forum needs above.
Can you provide the itinerary?
Old Nov 10, 19, 8:08 pm

Programs: QR Plat
I have had similar problems and QR have been able to find good solutions.

I would recommend you to:
1: Search and find options with other airlines on the same day (based on your profile and comments I assume your flight is from the UK to Hanoi or Da Nang). It is probably easier to be moved to OneWorld airlines but not sure about this (the two times this has happened to me I was rebooked to Finnair).
2: Call Qatar airways and tell them that you have looked at options and ask them to change your out bound.

My experience is that the customer support is bad at finding solutions, but if you present them with something reasonable they can normally make it happen.

Hope you manage to find a good solution
Old Nov 13, 19, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Answering my own question - they were very helpful (once i found a number to call). I said which city I wanted to change to, and which flight and everything was rebooked without issue. A good resolution for a frustrating situation.
Cris L, SullyofDoha, Lefly and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 13, 19, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
You may want to pack a change of clothes in your carry on as you will not have access to your bags during any layover in Doha. No matter how long!

On my recent layover of 12 hours they gave me a free hotel, but would not let me have my bags!
Old Nov 14, 19, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Cris L View Post
You may want to pack a change of clothes in your carry on as you will not have access to your bags during any layover in Doha. No matter how long!

On my recent layover of 12 hours they gave me a free hotel, but would not let me have my bags!
Sounds like the OP will have a stopover (> 24 hours) rather than a layover or transit (< 24 hours) so bags will need to be collected at DOH.
Old Nov 14, 19, 7:04 am

Perhaps I am dim, but in no way do I see the OP saying they'll stay in DOH. Unless this is picked up from another thread.
Old Nov 15, 19, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer View Post
Perhaps I am dim, but in no way do I see the OP saying they'll stay in DOH. Unless this is picked up from another thread.
No, you're right. I was replying based on the post I quoted which looks like it was based on an incorrect assumption.

Search this Thread