QR's shoddy IT system has cost me $1,600. Help!

Old Nov 7, 19, 3:28 am
Original Poster

QR's shoddy IT system has cost me $1,600. Help!

It's no secret that Qatar's IT infrastructure is truly terrible. I've had my fair share of run in's in the past, but this is the first time that it's actually cost me cold hard cash. I would appreciate any advice that anyone may have.

I had to change the dates of an upcoming flight. Unfortunately I had already upgraded the longest leg with non-refundable Qcredits. It was a shame but unavoidable. I chose the new departure date based on redemption availability, confirmed online and with the Priority Customer Service Centre.

But I had a big shortfall in Qmiles available for the redemption, so I forked out a hefty $AUD1,600 to purchase 33,000 Qmiles.

I then went to progress the upgrade and... BAM.
"We are experiencing technical difficulties at the moment. Please click on Upgrade Request Form below for further assistance." The Upgrade Request Form button just goes back to the same starting page and the whole cycle starts again.

I would ordinarily just wait and upgrade at the airport but the Qmiles are in my wife's account and as I understand it they will only process airport upgrades from the passengers own account. The flight is QR915 next Friday 15 November.

I have spoken to Priority Services three times and all have confirmed redemption availability and said it's an IT issue. Now I'm in a fruitless back and forth with the Contact Centre via email who have told me:
1. The problem is because there was a previous upgrade on this ticket. They cleared that and said it should then work. It didn't.
2. That there are no redemption seats available. There are.
3. That the ticket is not upgradable. It is. The return legs are already upgraded.

I have proposed three possible resolutions:
1. Process the upgrade manually
2. Transfer the Qmiles from my wife's account to my account so I can upgrade at the airport or
3. Refund the money paid to purchase the 33,000 Qmiles

I would be happy with any of those solutions. I just will not accept being left $1,600 out of pocket. When they email me they completely ignore my proposed solutions and instead send me unhelpful template response.

I am a Platinum member who spends a serious amount of money with QR each year. I have stuck with them despite their terrible customer service because their product is so good.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there anyone with authority I can contact?

Help!
Old Nov 7, 19, 3:40 am

Programs: QR PC Gold
Truly frustrating!

Try sending a dm on Twitter to qrsupport. They tend to be much more helpful.
Traveller999, NoY and msm2000uk like this.
Old Nov 7, 19, 5:27 am

Programs: United MP, Qatar Privilege, Lufthansa
Unbelievable that the Qatar Airways website is so clunky. I'm having an issue trying to upgrade a friend with my Qmiles and it is sending me into loops. How can a world-class airline have such shoddy IT infrastructure? (rhetorical questions, of course).

The Qatar Twitter support is very responsive, yes. But have they ever helped solve an issue?
Traveller999 and NoY like this.
Old Nov 7, 19, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by davidjcampbell83 View Post
3. That the ticket is not upgradable. It is. The return legs are already upgraded.
The return being upgradable does not necessarily mean the outbound is too. Can you confirm the outbound is a Saver or above?
Old Nov 7, 19, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
The return being upgradable does not necessarily mean the outbound is too. Can you confirm the outbound is a Saver or above?
Yes, the outbound and inbound are the same fare class. The Priority Services centre have also confirmed the fare bucket is upgradable. Indeed, the outbound itself had already been upgraded with now lost Qcredits until I had to change the dates.

it is definitely an IT issue. I suspect a quirk with this particular booking.
Old Nov 7, 19, 7:05 am

I suspect you're right, just looking at all angles.

The date change could have induced a change in booking class, and some classes can fall either into Promo or Economy despite having the same letter, and only the Saver ones can be upgraded. The call centre operator might not be aware of these differences and this could explain what you've described. Can you see the Fare Family and Booking Class for the revised outbound?
Old Nov 7, 19, 8:17 am

Programs: QR Plat, WY Silver, Accor Gold
On last resort an airport upgrade can be processus with your wife account provided shes physically present with you at the airport counter with her passport and her QRPC card.

Search this Thread