FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Economy Saver Seat Assignments? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1994138-economy-saver-seat-assignments.html)

Presguy Nov 4, 19 7:12 pm

Economy Saver Seat Assignments?

Hi,

Please forgive the low effort post. I happened to notice some good promo return fares (Economy Saver) on LAX>DOH>CPT earlier today.

Today has been a time crunch for me, and I'm sure this topic has been well addressed before within this forum.

If I book this fare as economy saver, would it be possible for me to revisit the booking, in say a week or so, and select seats. Ideally, I'd like to be able to upgrade to some type of exit row/extra legroom Y seat (understanding, of course, a few hundred $$) in extra fees.

Does Qatar allow such a thing?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

pinoyflyer Nov 4, 19 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Presguy (Post 31701681)
Hi,

Please forgive the low effort post. I happened to notice some good promo return fares (Economy Saver) on LAX>DOH>CPT earlier today.

Today has been a time crunch for me, and I'm sure this topic has been well addressed before within this forum.

If I book this fares as economy saver, would it be possible for me to revisit the booking, in say a week or so, and select seats. Ideally, I'd like to be able to upgrade to some time of exit row/extra legroom Y seat (understanding, of course, a few hundred $$) in extra fees.

qatar doesn't charge extra for an exit row seat.

however, seats towards the front of a section are usually blocked. but is you have some kind of status with privilege club, those seats are available for you to choose online.

last resort is for you to request those exit row seats at the airport check in counter.

Presguy Nov 4, 19 10:02 pm

I notice that if, I proceed through the booking, there are a few seats in economy available for about $150 (per segment). Assuming those seats are, or become, available after I book - can I simply pay for them and secure them at that point? Or do I have to wait until check in to have a shot?

FWIW - On the route I'm looking at, I have the option of Economy Value on the Outbond and Economy Saver, or Economy Value on the return. Happy to choose either for the booking if it opens up the option of paying a bit extra for a slightly more spacious seat.

Thanks again for your (or any subsequent poster's) help.
EDIT: To add I have no status with Qatar or OneWorld.

pinoyflyer Nov 4, 19 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Presguy (Post 31702117)
I notice that if, I proceed through the booking, there are a few seats in economy available for about $150 (per segment). Assuming those seats are, or become, available after I book - can I simply pay for them and secure them at that point? Or do I have to wait until check in to have a shot?

FWIW - On the route I'm looking at, I have the option of Economy Value on the Outbond and Economy Saver, or Economy Value on the return. Happy to choose either for the booking if it opens up the option of paying a bit extra for a slightly more spacious seat.

Thanks again for your (or any subsequent poster's) help.
EDIT: To add I have no status with Qatar or OneWorld.

I do not have any info on whether or not buying a ticket on a more expensive fare class will give you a greater number of seats to choose from.

I only know that qatar doesn't charge extra for you to book an exit row seat.

I can only share my experience when selecting seats after making a booking.

usually, the first 2 rows of any section of the plane are blocked. I usually just choose a seat towards the front of the plane. then at check in, I ask for a bulkhead seat. I've gotten my request 95% of the time. it might be worthwhile to note that I have gold status on qatar so they are quite accommodating.

at the time of booking, if you see that your preferred seats are still blocked, you may call qatar's local office in your area and make a request.

realgaga Nov 5, 19 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Presguy (Post 31701681)
Hi,

If I book this fare as economy saver, would it be possible for me to revisit the booking, in say a week or so, and select seats. Ideally, I'd like to be able to upgrade to some type of exit row/extra legroom Y seat (understanding, of course, a few hundred $$) in extra fees.

AFAIK, QR does not charge for seat selection and it can only be done after purchasing the ticket. It is impossible to select exit row seats as they block it online. What you can do it choose a seat with extra legroom, like when the seat config on the 77W turns from 3-3-3 to 3-4-3 or vice versa.

meelosh Nov 5, 19 4:37 pm

If it helps, if you hold a business class ticket, you can always revisit your seat choice and make a new selection. If they're not charging in Economy, I don't see why wouldn't it be possible to do the same with a Y ticket. QR support approves.

Matt4 Nov 10, 19 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Presguy (Post 31702117)

I would be curious to see a screenshot of QR website offering seat selection for $150 per segment, as QR never charged for seat selection in my previous experiences (including when booking for friends without any status).