Upgrading a friend with my Qmiles

Old Nov 3, 19, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MP, Qatar Privilege, Lufthansa
Upgrading a friend with my Qmiles

This is for travel in mid-December. I'm traveling in Qatar Business and my friend in Economy. We will converge in DOH and then get on the flight to BOM. For the DOH-BOM I want to upgrade him to Business with my Qmiles (his flight is linked in my Privilege account). When I go to the Qatar Airways website and hit the Upgrade button for him, I see all the upgrade options greyed out. Is it worthwhile checking this every day or should I simply wait until we get to DOH and try availability at the counter? My question is, how often are people successful in getting an upgrade online prior to the flight?
Old Nov 3, 19, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by agtoau View Post
This is for travel in mid-December. I'm traveling in Qatar Business and my friend in Economy. We will converge in DOH and then get on the flight to BOM. For the DOH-BOM I want to upgrade him to Business with my Qmiles (his flight is linked in my Privilege account). When I go to the Qatar Airways website and hit the Upgrade button for him, I see all the upgrade options greyed out. Is it worthwhile checking this every day or should I simply wait until we get to DOH and try availability at the counter? My question is, how often are people successful in getting an upgrade online prior to the flight?
did exactly the same before and was able to upgrade a friend without issues! assuming there is no availability for upgrade at the moment on your flight! did u check availability for your flight?
agtoau likes this.
Old Nov 3, 19, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Currently it shows no availability.
Old Nov 3, 19, 9:40 am

just do it at the airport. December is peak travel season so I don't think the airline will release availability as they are trying to sell that seat to a paying customer. however, if the j class isn't full on the day itself, am sure they'll facilitate your upgrade request at the airport (at the lounge reception or maybe even the boarding gates).

this was my upgrade experience during the summer peak travel period.
agtoau likes this.
Old Nov 6, 19, 4:42 am

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
Upgrade at the airport is stressful takes a long time though.
Did it twice in October, and it takes about 30 to 45 minutes. You have to stand there waiting while they call multiple calls and type on the computer.

Nothing like upgrading with a modern up to date airline like UA, LH or SK.

Also for the doh to lhr flight they said there was only 5 C seats left and the first priority is anyone upgrading with cash, so they wouldn't release the seats for milage upgrades until 1 hour before the flight departure time. I find that a bad way of treating gold members that have earned miles with their airline.
agtoau likes this.
Old Nov 6, 19, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nick5000 View Post
Upgrade at the airport is stressful takes a long time though.
Did it twice in October, and it takes about 30 to 45 minutes. You have to stand there waiting while they call multiple calls and type on the computer.

Nothing like upgrading with a modern up to date airline like UA, LH or SK.

Also for the doh to lhr flight they said there was only 5 C seats left and the first priority is anyone upgrading with cash, so they wouldn't release the seats for milage upgrades until 1 hour before the flight departure time. I find that a bad way of treating gold members that have earned miles with their airline.

Mr. Al Baker gives the impression of being a hands-on CEO with his ear to the ground. Does he get any feedback at all on these matters? Surely he is smart enough to understand that the quality of a product goes beyond the onboard experience.
Old Nov 8, 19, 8:13 am

Programs: QR Plat, WY Silver, Accor Gold
Mr. Al Baker gives the impression of being a hands-on CEO with his ear to the ground. Does he get any feedback at all on these matters? Surely he is smart enough to understand that the quality of a product goes beyond the onboard experience.
I think the main reason is that His Excellency can check the onboard product but never has the opportunity to request an upgrade or call the CS ;-)
agtoau likes this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 3:52 am
Original Poster

An example of how utterly useless Qatar's online support based in India is - I sent them a message describing the issue I was having upgrading my friend online (I get an error message saying profile was invalid) together with a screenshot of the error message. Instead of actually addressing my problem I got the following boilerplate response. It is as if customer service didn't even read my original message.

Thank you for writing to Privilege Club.
Effective 11th March 18, we have moved all our redemption related services online.

Kindly follow the below steps to process your award upgrade online.

* Visit www.qmiles.com
* Login to your Privilege Club Account
* Under Privilege Club, My Account, Go to Redeem My Qmiles & Qcredits
* Click on “Upgrade on Qatar Airways”
* Enter your booking reference number and last name to retrieve booking
* Select the passenger/s you wish to upgrade
* Select the flights to be upgraded
* Proceed with your request further

Note: Redemption seats are limited per flight and are subject to availability at the time of booking.
We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this regard.

Search this Thread