Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

DOH Oryx Airport Hotel: visit fitness center over layover

Old Oct 30, 2019, 3:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz

I did some searching, and I apologize if this is covered elsewhere...

I have some flights on QR in business connecting at DOH in January:
DFW-DOH-ADL (3 hour 40 min connection)
ADL-DOH-DFW (3 hour 50 min connection)

According to their website, it is QAR 175 (about US$50) to visit the fitness center.

Provided the incoming flights are on-time (looks like they usually are, if not early), does this look like enough time to visit for a minimum of 30 min workout, then say 20 min to shower and get dressed? Say an hour for all that just to cover myself (of course I'd work out more if I could).
If there is time, I'd also visit the lounge afterwards to get something to eat.

How is security to get back into the the airport proper from the hotel?
From what I've found, I don't have to clear immigration, which saves some time.

Has anyone else done this? What were your thoughts? I'd probably swim (minimal equipment needed), and can just throw a suit, goggles, and cap (if needed) in my backpack, and I'd be set. I'll check to make sure, but I think the fitness center provides towels.

Is there anyplace airside (such as a lounge) where I could leave luggage, without having to deal with it at security? The fitness center has some sort of lockers, but not sure they would be large enough for a roller bag (that is something I'll check on). I'm debating if I'll check a bag and simply carry a backpack with me, or carry on both backpack and roller.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 5:01 pm

aztimm the airport hotel is airside and you do not leave the secure area so there is no security waiting time involved using the hotel facilities.
Since you have J class tickets you will have access to Al Mourjan where there are lockers round to the right of the entrsnce.
aztimm likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
Has anyone else done this? What were your thoughts? I'd probably swim (minimal equipment needed), and can just throw a suit, goggles, and cap (if needed) in my backpack, and I'd be set. I'll check to make sure, but I think the fitness center provides towels.

Is there anyplace airside (such as a lounge) where I could leave luggage, without having to deal with it at security? The fitness center has some sort of lockers, but not sure they would be large enough for a roller bag (that is something I'll check on). I'm debating if I'll check a bag and simply carry a backpack with me, or carry on both backpack and roller.
I love to do this on a long layover. The lockers in the changing rooms are big enough to take a standard size carryon.
aztimm likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: Some
I've done this on layovers a lot shorter than that and think the experience is worth it. When Al Safwa rules were stricter I used to use it as a way to avoid having to visit Al Mourjan at all when flying on routes without F - the pool is typically wonderfully quiet, gym equipment is decent, there will be no wait for a shower and the temperature controls in the showers actually work, too! I've only ever seen one other person using the pool whilst I'm there, most of the time I'd have the entire pool to myself. Slightly surreal experience going for a swim whilst air side.
Traveller999 and aztimm like this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 9:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I've done this on layovers a lot shorter than that and think the experience is worth it. When Al Safwa rules were stricter I used to use it as a way to avoid having to visit Al Mourjan at all when flying on routes without F - the pool is typically wonderfully quiet, gym equipment is decent, there will be no wait for a shower and the temperature controls in the showers actually work, too! I've only ever seen one other person using the pool whilst I'm there, most of the time I'd have the entire pool to myself. Slightly surreal experience going for a swim whilst air side.
Thank you (and everyone else) for the great feedback!

My connections are about 4:30pm to 8pm, then the next week 4:30am to 8am. It sounds silly, but I like getting in workouts with my Apple Watch (have to keep up that streak! and yes, I know there are ways to do, 'fake,' workouts). My flights are 11-12 hours each, so this would be a great way to break them up, and perhaps tire myself out again so I'll sleep some on the 2nd flight of both sets.

That said, I do actually swim, and so long as the water is a decent temperature, I'll probably just get in a good hour swim, somewhere around 4000m. Then shower off, put on some fresh underclothing, get dressed and be on my way. Much more productive than stuffing my face in the lounge the whole time (I'm sure I'll still do some of that afterwards )

Does the fitness center have water? If I remember, I'll put an empty bottle on my backpack so I have some to sip on during the swim, and I'll definitely need it afterwards.
A friend of mine registered me for a 2500m swim at Portsea (near Melbourne) for that Saturday, so I have to keep in shape.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:38 am
R2

That said, I do actually swim, and so long as the water is a decent temperature, I'll probably just get in a good hour swim, somewhere around 4000m.
When I was last there - albeit a couple of years ago now - the water in the pool was way too warm for fitness swimming...must have been at least +30 Centigrades. The gym is really nice though.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by R2
When I was last there - albeit a couple of years ago now - the water in the pool was way too warm for fitness swimming...must have been at least +30 Centigrades. The gym is really nice though.
Wow, good to know. Maybe I'll try it on my first connection, see how bad it is. If there is a pace clock, I can at least do some short swims on a generous interval, or even just a long slog until I get tired out. I used to live in Arizona, and the outside pools there in the summer would get quite warm. Even here, my nearby outside pool can get up to about 88F (I guess 28-29C). I'll definitely need some water handy then, and I'll probably be taking a cold shower afterwards

Do they require wearing a cap to swim? If not, it might be a bit tolerable.

Last edited by aztimm; Oct 31, 2019 at 2:09 pm
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:16 pm

No cap required but the pool is not really a standard swimming length, you can get from one end to the other with basically one strong pushoff
Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:11 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
There is also a running route around the outside of the airport for the brave.

M
aztimm likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mpkz
No cap required but the pool is not really a standard swimming length, you can get from one end to the other with basically one strong pushoff
Wow, on their website, it clearly says it is a 25m pool, and it kind of looks like one in the picture but hard to tell. Maybe if I have time I'll ask if I can look at it before i pay to use it.,
Old Nov 1, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
There is also a running route around the outside of the airport for the brave.

M
I'd be interested to know more about this...I take it that's landside though. I wasn't able to find any references to this with a search.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 2:53 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
I'd be interested to know more about this...I take it that's landside though. I wasn't able to find any references to this with a search.
Correct, it is landside.

I'll try and find the route for you somewhere.

M
Old Nov 1, 2019, 5:22 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
The ""Running in and around airports" guide I've consulted before has a guide for DOH: https://www.benedelman.org/travel/running/
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Thanks to both. Looks like it's an out and back (if it's the same one). I'll bookmark that site for future reference, some other great ones at airports I visit relatively often. It's slightly out of date but I'd imagine places like Heathrow don't change much
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:49 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Wow, on their website, it clearly says it is a 25m pool, and it kind of looks like one in the picture but hard to tell. Maybe if I have time I'll ask if I can look at it before i pay to use it.,
It is 25m, no way you can push off and to it in one go, unless you are the hulk
aztimm likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.