FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   DOH-HKG tomorrow changed to non Q Suites - any options? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1992046-doh-hkg-tomorrow-changed-non-q-suites-any-options.html)

hndnrt Oct 20, 2019 12:41 am

DOH-HKG tomorrow changed to non Q Suites - any options?

Hi all

I’ve just noticed that tomorrow’s QR 816 DOH-HKG has changed to non Q-Suites. I’m flying ARN-DOH DOH-HKG.

DOH-HKG now looks like it’s the 777 with 2-2-2 configuration. I’ve been put in a window seat which I would never have chosen myself. J looks like it’s full with no option online to change seat.

The 777 looks dreadful with no privacy and I don’t like the thought of being hemmed in in a window seat, having to step over someone to get out.

Do I have any options? Might they be able to change my seat at the check in desk at ARN? Or do I just have to be philosophical and accept it?!

I really do need to be in HKG by Tuesday morning as I’m flying on to TPE then.

It’s a shame as I booked this months ago and I’d never have booked the flight had I known it would be this aircraft.

I am grateful for any guidance!

plunet Oct 20, 2019 1:07 am

The only option is to ask to be rerouted on another service that has QSuites, this policy is signposted in the wiki of the QSuites thread

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31585036-post2709.html

However if your schedule is not flexible then there is little you can do. Whilst Qatar will offer to swap you to another service this is s recent development and they do not need to do this, their terms offer no guarantee on aircraft type or seat type.

Whilst the old 777 layout compared to herringbone or QSuites creates a bit of a marmite debate on the forum they are by no means s disaster. Yes, less privacy, but very roomy and comfortable. Even if you have a window seat you can usually squeeze past you neighbour. There are many business class seats in the air that are worse.

The dice of the Qatar aircraft assignment can sometimes be unkind, but what they can take away can also give back and whilst you should set your expectations appropriately it could change again.

hndnrt Oct 20, 2019 3:06 am

Thanks - that’s reassuring to hear the 777 isn’t so bad

Flying Bosun Oct 20, 2019 3:36 am

Originally Posted by hndnrt (Post 31647236)
Thanks - that’s reassuring to hear the 777 isn’t so bad

You have been very missinformed. Happy flying with skytrax winner of best business class 2019!

IAN-UK Oct 20, 2019 3:41 am

Originally Posted by hndnrt (Post 31647057)

The 777 looks dreadful with no privacy and I don’t like the thought of being hemmed in in a window seat, having to step over someone to get out.

You'll be fine. The seats are wide, comfortable and have lots of leg-room. It's not difficult at all difficult to get access to the aisle.

And unless you have some pretty spectacular activity planned, fellow passengers are unlikely to be interested in what you do in your seat.

TravelLawyer Oct 20, 2019 4:38 am

Originally Posted by plunet (Post 31647081)
Even if you have a window seat you can usually squeeze past you neighbour. There are many business class seats in the air that are worse.

How do you squeeze past them when they are in lie-flat position? It looks like you would have have to climb over them unless you’re in a bulkhead row (which gives a tiny bit more legroom and maybe enough to squeeze by). https://travelsort.com/wp-content/up...R-Flat-Bed.jpg

To be honest, this looks like a poor international business class product to me. Possibly one of the worst still flying today (unless you count things like domestic recliner business class seats).

ph-ndr Oct 20, 2019 4:43 am

Best advice for single traveller on the older 2-2-2 layout 777 is get a seat in the middle seats, always isle access. Also, for those that worry about getting stuck in a window seat, its usually easy to step over whomever has the isle seat if the seat is in bed mode. If the isle seat is not in bed mode there is able space to get in and out without disturbing anyone.

-A

IAN-UK Oct 20, 2019 4:44 am

Originally Posted by TravelLawyer (Post 31647393)
How do you squeeze past them when they are in lie-flat position?

Just step over them. In the sleeping position the bed is quite low.

Probably best not to make too much of a fuss over a very simple process.

If stepping is going to be difficult, then clearly you should request or negotiate an aisle seat.

realgaga Oct 20, 2019 5:18 am

You can try moving to the other HKG flight from DOH but I'm not sure if the time fits since they're a few hours apart.

TravelLawyer Oct 20, 2019 5:42 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 31647405)
Just step over them. In the sleeping position the bed is quite low.

Probably best not to make too much of a fuss over a very simple process.

If stepping is going to be difficult, then clearly you should request or negotiate an aisle seat.

Are you tall and/or skinny? I am neither and I cannot step over someone in the aisle seat in a lie-flat position without straddling him/her. :eek: Didn’t OP say he/she was assigned a window and no other seats are available? But yes, otherwise, try to get an aisle seat on this configuration.

hndnrt Oct 20, 2019 6:51 am

Originally Posted by TravelLawyer (Post 31647497)
Didn’t OP say he/she was assigned a window and no other seats are available? But yes, otherwise, try to get an aisle seat on this configuration.

When I look at manage my booking online on Qatar it’s showing no seats free at all, but experflyer shows 5E and 5F free

brunos Oct 20, 2019 7:03 am

Originally Posted by TravelLawyer (Post 31647393)
How do you squeeze past them when they are in lie-flat position? It looks like you would have have to climb over them unless you’re in a bulkhead row (which gives a tiny bit more legroom and maybe enough to squeeze by). https://travelsort.com/wp-content/up...R-Flat-Bed.jpg

To be honest, this looks like a poor international business class product to me. Possibly one of the worst still flying today (unless you count things like domestic recliner business class seats).

This is an excellent business class product. Seat has a lot of space. The most of any J seat (on par with the Qsuite where they kept the same number of seats. It's pretty easy to step over the legs of the reclined neighbor. It is a far better seat than The BA window seat.

homer3152 Oct 20, 2019 7:24 am

Until the Q Suites arrived i always was wondering whether i preferred the A350 or the 777 seats. I totally loooove the roomiees on their 777. I never felt bulkhead gives you more space even after checking this on purpose. I always chose row 3 on the 777. The space in front of you is like a football field! They give you 3.5 windows...this is First Class standard on many other airlines. Like you i hate being locked into a window seat. But QRs 777 is the only seat i know where i always would choose a window..even if there were a seat neighbour. At day flights you dont need to climb at all. And on night flights you just make a little step over neighbours feet..very easy without waking neighbour up. I looove this cabin..and on a day flight without a neighbour i might even prefer it to a suite as i love open wide spaces. So dont worry..rather look forward to your flight in an amazingly roomy cabin!

CheckInPeach Oct 20, 2019 7:26 am

I agree, the 777 2-2-2 config is ok. The 2-2-2 config on the A330 is much worse, and those they now use on several BKK connections. So at least you are lucky not to get that. Short notice aircraft changes happen a lot at QR and indeed it is very disappointing if you book the newest Q Suite and end up in an old 2-2-2 seat.

msm2000uk Oct 20, 2019 7:27 am

I hate being the miserable voice of reason, but you paid for a Business Class ticket, and you will still be flying Business Class.

Now, we have had the QSuite v Non QSuite argument too many times on the forum, and the only way QR will usually offer support is if you can show that you had paid more for the QSuite than any other option (at the time of booking).

M