Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

No bag drop more than 3h prior to departure in ZRH

Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist

Second flight ever with QR and I made a rookie mistake.

I planned to arrive early (5h prior to departure) to get some conference calls done from the lounge in Zurich.

Getting to where the check in area is supposed to be I couldn’t find the counter. Then a friendly lady at the information desk told me that check in opens only 3h prior to departure.

Being used to European carriers I just didn’t even think about this problem. Even my BA Gold status was absolutely useless in this situation.

Next time I know obviously but I still feel kind of silly that I hadn’t even thought about this issue.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Chris0815
Second flight ever with QR and I made a rookie mistake.

I planned to arrive early (5h prior to departure) to get some conference calls done from the lounge in Zurich.

Getting to where the check in area is supposed to be I couldn’t find the counter. Then a friendly lady at the information desk told me that check in opens only 3h prior to departure.

Being used to European carriers I just didn’t even think about this problem. Even my BA Gold status was absolutely useless in this situation.

Next time I know obviously but I still feel kind of silly that I hadn’t even thought about this issue.
I don't think you would find an airline from any continent with desks open 5 hours prior to departure unless that airport had several flights in a short time period from the same airline.

What did you expect the BA card to do?
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schwann
I don't think you would find an airline from any continent with desks open 5 hours prior to departure unless that airport had several flights in a short time period from the same airline.

What did you expect the BA card to do?
As I said I was just being naive.

But this is my first flight ever as BA Gold/OneWorld Sapphire so I was maybe secretly hoping there this would do something (maybe a combined OW bag drop or something). Unfortunately on a J flight with Qatar the added value of being emerald is probably 0.

But I have nobody to blame but my own stupidity.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
The real mistake is of course to travel with checked baggage in the first place;-)
Penguinmoon likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by a9504477
The real mistake is of course to travel with checked baggage in the first place;-)
Very true.

But I’ll be staying for 8 days, so at least I have an excuse.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA PRO, BA S
Had this problem in BKK two days ago. Was on the 2am flight to DOH in J/OWS and the desk (which was open as they have like 5-6x daily flights from BKK) refused to issue me a boarding pass at 5pm when I arrived - they said check in opens 3 hours before the flight, even though they were there and open for checking in the earlier flights. Thankfully I did not have to sit there waiting for 6 hours as security was willing to accept my pdf of check in confirmation (not a mobile boarding pass) and Cathay and JAL accepted the same to let me into the lounge.

Will make me think twice about going to the airport more than 3 hours before.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
But this is my first flight ever as BA Gold/OneWorld Sapphire
Isn't BA Gold actually Oneworld Emerald? Congrats on making it!
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by purple1addict
Isn't BA Gold actually Oneworld Emerald? Congrats on making it!
Thanks. Have yet to truly benefit from it. But am sure there will be an occasion.

By the way, the boarding experience here at Doha is a total chaos, a Wild West feeling quite similar to Ryanair. Kind of ruins the nice experience of the QSuites.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Thanks. Have yet to truly benefit from it. But am sure there will be an occasion.

By the way, the boarding experience here at Doha is a total chaos, a Wild West feeling quite similar to Ryanair. Kind of ruins the nice experience of the QSuites.
Strange. I never had problem as J pax in DOH. Even with bus gates, they have a dedicated J bus.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by brunos
Strange. I never had problem as J pax in DOH. Even with bus gates, they have a dedicated J bus.
Those who have not flown QR from its home base are likely unaware that J pax have a separate bus and are not part of the Group 1 boarding when a remote stand is used, and are generally called after all other boarding groups. I've only once in almost a dozen flights on QR at DOH been boarded at a regular gate.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Those who have not flown QR from its home base are likely unaware that J pax have a separate bus and are not part of the Group 1 boarding when a remote stand is used, and are generally called after all other boarding groups. I've only once in almost a dozen flights on QR at DOH been boarded at a regular gate.
I thought I was ‘special’ as I waited ages for the business class bus to take me to the plane. I realized that if I had just boarded the first economy passenger bus, I could have had an additional half hour in my business class seat, watching something entertaining while sipping on a glass of champagne.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder
To clarify we didn’t start from a bus gate but a direct access one.

What really annoys me about the Doha boarding process is that your are funneled into a closed off boarding area that is way to small for the large amount of passengers and does have not enough seats to wait. The complete mess in there is what created the Ryanair feeling.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: QR Gold, Skyteam Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Never had this problem. Always enough seats. Once the sweet transfer service guided me to one of the front seats. Boarding can be chaotic as many pax dont understand the system. In this case i usually just show my C boarding pass to one of the officials standing around at boarding who then quickly guide me to the front of the boarding line. Always works fine..not even bad looks from the other pax.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
Would it be technically (in theory) possible to check-in a person with luggage prior to the opening of the desk? For example, at another desk.

Perkerkeem, sorry to hear that. I would have been furious if that had happened to me. So ridiculous. They probably cited "airport rules" or something similar as the reason?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.