Delayed lounge access QR172 ARN to DOH

Old Oct 3, 19, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Asia Miles, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Spire Ambassador
Delayed lounge access QR172 ARN to DOH

Lounge is after passport control and passport control is not opening tonight Thursday October 3 until after 8.30p so effectively an hour after check in. Several very unhappy passengers not surprisingly.

If if this is going to be the case QR needs to advise passengers in advance.
Old Oct 3, 19, 3:29 pm

Not many international departures then!?
Old Oct 4, 19, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriot Gold.
Is it just that night, or normally? I've just booked Easter from ARN.
Old Oct 4, 19, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'd quite happily have an extra hour to avoid that bad ARN lounge.
Old Oct 4, 19, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriot Gold.
I looked at its review and remember it now. Not a lot lost, if I recall correctly.
Schwann and DiamondMile like this.
Old Oct 4, 19, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Schwann View Post
I'd quite happily have an extra hour to avoid that bad ARN lounge.
I was there for that flight on Monday, I would say that there are better places to eat and drink landside. I didn't notice a problem with passport control but probably only checked in around 2 hours before departure. The airport was extremely quiet at that time though.
Old Oct 4, 19, 3:08 pm

Programs: Meow Mix
Travelling on this flight in the next couple of weeks - AFAIK last time I did exARN with QR, lounge was absolutely dire.
Old Oct 4, 19, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

ARN lounge is poor but not terrible

Originally Posted by angeloedades View Post
Travelling on this flight in the next couple of weeks - AFAIK last time I did exARN with QR, lounge was absolutely dire.
The lounge wasn't great but it was no worst than the one they use in Manchester. Wine was OK, reasonable drink selection. Food looked tired ---- but at least it wasn't over crowded. No newsapers other than from Middle East, but they had the FT on board which is better than BA.

And TBH it was no worst than the Al Mourjan when I landed. The place was an over crowded zoo! People were queuing to sit in the restaurant areas and the shower wait was 40 minutes. They said 30 but I gave it 40 - and by coincidence they were calling my name as I walked in.

The onward trip to HKG on QR815 saw an aircraft swap to a very tired 777 (I think - no WiFi so maybe an A330/340?). I havent been on such a poor plane for years. Reminiscent of US Domestic or Dragon Air from HKG to China.
NoY and schmidtyy like this.
Old Oct 6, 19, 5:11 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Lounge is after passport control and passport control is not opening tonight Thursday October 3 until after 8.30p so effectively an hour after check in. Several very unhappy passengers not surprisingly.

If if this is going to be the case QR needs to advise passengers in advance.
Glad I went to the AMEX lounge for dinner on that evening before heading to the Aviator Lounge. When I showed up at Passport control just opened a third line. Aviator lounge is ok for waiting and some drinks but nothing serious to think about dining there. The calmness of the airport at that time was very welcomed though.
Old Oct 6, 19, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ngfan View Post
When I showed up at Passport control just opened a third line. Aviator lounge is ok for waiting and some drinks but nothing serious to think about dining there. .
That third line was designated EC passports only.. They were having huge issues understanding how to process EC/Non EC couples with kids. And they were travelling business class... mostly.

I arrivied in ARN in the morning on BA behind the Aeroflot flight at T!. Despite being in 1F a huge queue was handled by only two immigration lines. Movement was painfully slow. Their solution was to suddenly designate one lane EC only. They then proceeded to send several passengers without EC passports - who had joined the line before they changed it - to the back of the other line behind the whole BA flight.

To say I was unimpressed with ARN would be a massive understatement.. The whole experience made MNL T3 look world class.

Staff were unhelpful, unknowledgable and seemingly disinterested in anything other than being paid.
Old Oct 7, 19, 12:09 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
That third line was designated EC passports only.. They were having huge issues understanding how to process EC/Non EC couples with kids. And they were travelling business class... mostly.

I arrivied in ARN in the morning on BA behind the Aeroflot flight at T!. Despite being in 1F a huge queue was handled by only two immigration lines. Movement was painfully slow. Their solution was to suddenly designate one lane EC only. They then proceeded to send several passengers without EC passports - who had joined the line before they changed it - to the back of the other line behind the whole BA flight.

To say I was unimpressed with ARN would be a massive understatement.. The whole experience made MNL T3 look world class.

Staff were unhelpful, unknowledgable and seemingly disinterested in anything other than being paid.
Having done ARN last week, I'd say almost the same. Startlingly bad. Long wait on the way in (from London), long wait on the way out. Lounge was the worst I'd seen in a long time, though admittedly flight was already T-45 so not a lot of demand or passengers.
The airport *is* completely empty at that hour for the QR night flight, but unfortunately Swedavia or the government appear to staff passport control accordingly.
Old Oct 7, 19, 8:30 am

Programs: BA
The onward trip to HKG on QR815 saw an aircraft swap to a very tired 777 (I think - no WiFi so maybe an A330/340?). I havent been on such a poor plane for years. Reminiscent of US Domestic or Dragon Air from HKG to China.
That was my plane back from HKG to DOH. Awful old plane but decent service.
Old Oct 7, 19, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Yes crew were fabulous

Originally Posted by schmidtyy View Post
That was my plane back from HKG to DOH. Awful old plane but decent service.
But QR infrastructure was creaking under over expansion based on my experience. The D/E Gates at DOH need that lounge opening FAST.

The QR business model uses highly educated, hugely capable and customer friendly personalities employed ----at relatively low salaries - cabin crew selected from less developed Asian nations. They should not be carrying the burden - of in my case firm but polite and VERY sympathetic criticism that is the responsibility of managemen to handle..

That flight was a shambles from start to finish.

I mix J and Y flights on QR. That was worst than most of my Y flights. Even the OneWorld First Clas lounge has been better than the QR flagship lounge prior to that as BA Gold travelling Y on recent flights.
schmidtyy likes this.
Old Oct 7, 19, 10:14 am

But QR infrastructure was creaking under over expansion based on my experience. The D/E Gates at DOH need that lounge opening FAST.
Just by the looks of it from the past few trips, that lounge has been abandoned and instead they are opening more hotel rooms there...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: