Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Silver status and lounges access in Australia?

Old Oct 3, 2019, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Due to the unattractive program, I didn't renew my Gold status (yet) with Qatar.

I was looking at the lounges page on the website and it seems to me the Silver status don't get you to any lounges in Australia (while flying economy):
https://www.qatarairways.com/en-dk/l...worldwide.html

Any recent experiences to confirm this?

I remember going to Sydney on an Economy flight in the past years but I was Gold at that times.

Cheers,
Bon
Old Oct 3, 2019, 6:24 am

bonboncl the availability of lounge access at outstations is limited by a number of factors.
1 QR have own lounges: these are usually restricted to premium class passengers and sometimes Gold and Platinum PC members and OWS and OWE status members.
2 QR contract with a third party lounge for premium class passengers and gold and platinum PC members.
3 QR contracts with aother Oneworld lounge'. Here the Oneworld rules apply. See oneworld airport-lounges for details of access rules.

PC Silver is OWRuby
PC Gold is OWSapphire
PC Platinum is OWEmerald

Neither QR Lounges, Third party lounges nor OW lounges permit PC Silver access.
The only place where there is lounge access for PC silver is DOH.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by remdk
Maybe I misunderstand you or this is just incorrect.
You are getting lounge access at a lot of airports worldwide when flying Y with QR as a PC silver.
Melbourne has one lounge for silver members.
GalaxyChris likes this.

Last edited by Freed; Oct 3, 2019 at 6:44 am
Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:39 am
Original Poster

bonboncl the availability of lounge access at outstations is limited by a number of factors.
1 QR have own lounges: these are usually restricted to premium class passengers and sometimes Gold and Platinum PC members and OWS and OWE status members.
2 QR contract with a third party lounge for premium class passengers and gold and platinum PC members.
3 QR contracts with aother Oneworld lounge'. Here the Oneworld rules apply. See oneworld airport-lounges for details of access rules.

PC Silver is OWRuby
PC Gold is OWSapphire
PC Platinum is OWEmerald

Neither QR Lounges, Third party lounges nor OW lounges permit PC Silver access.
Thanks for the reply and the explanations. However, this is clearly incorrect. I have been to 1, 2, 3 with Silver Status on economy flights.

I usually fly from Europe and as far as I can recall I always got into lounges even in economy with Silver status. I have been for sure in Paris (not the Qatar owned one of course), Nice, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Munich, Sofia, Sao Paulo, Beijing and of course the Business Lounge in Doha. That's why when I was looking at my future ex-Australia flight, I got pretty surprised.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Freed
Maybe I misunderstand you or this is just incorrect.
You are getting lounge access at a lot of airports worldwide when flying Y with QR as a PC silver.
Thanks Freed, Melbourne is indeed listed on the Qatar lounges page but it is the only one in Australia.

It would be great if some members have recent experiences flying ex-Australia.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by Freed
I'd be interested to know which lounge that is.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Grace B
I'd be interested to know which lounge that is.

It's listed on the Qatar website - the link is my initial post:

Marhaba Lounge

Access for eligible Business Class customers, Oneworld Saphire, Privilege Club Gold and Silver

Grace B likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bonboncl
Due to the unattractive program, I didn't renew my Gold status (yet) with Qatar.

I was looking at the lounges page on the website and it seems to me the Silver status don't get you to any lounges in Australia (while flying economy):
https://www.qatarairways.com/en-dk/l...worldwide.html

Any recent experiences to confirm this?

I remember going to Sydney on an Economy flight in the past years but I was Gold at that times.
...PC Silver is OW Ruby
PC Gold is OW Sapphire
PC Platinum is OW Emerald
Under Oneworld rules you need OW Sapphire to access departure lounges.
That QR allows assess to (some?) of their own lounges for QRPC Silver/OW Ruby is a big bonus for QR Privilege club members.
In Australia, OW Ruby will not get you access to Qantas lounges if flying economy

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 5, 2019 at 1:05 pm
Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:24 am

Ex Perth you can use the Qantas lounge as Silver.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tulene
Ex Perth you can use the Qantas lounge as Silver.
Thanks. 100% confirmed as I used it today.

That came as a good surprise as both Qatar and the previous replies were saying I won't get in.

Still interested in knowing what's the status in Sydney with a Y flight/Silver status.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:02 am

That came as a good surprise as both Qatar and the previous replies were saying I won't get in.

Still interested in knowing what's the status in Sydney with a Y flight/Silver status.

No idea about Sydney sorry, but one would assume the lounge access should be consistent...?!
Old Oct 9, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: QRPC-Gold

Hello,
I had to dig out a past statement but I was silver at the time flying economy from Sydney to Doha, I had lounge access. This was Feb 2018. I'm fairly certain it was the Qantas lounge. Hope this helps!
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:58 pm

No access to Sydney

Was in Sydney 2 weeks ago and airport was empty due to virus. Qantas Lounge staff refused to let me in on Qatar Silver which was frustrating as I was in the Canberra lounge on the earlier flight. Their response was that I was only OW Ruby. They wouldn't budge.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Frequenttraveller1
Was in Sydney 2 weeks ago and airport was empty due to virus. Qantas Lounge staff refused to let me in on Qatar Silver which was frustrating as I was in the Canberra lounge on the earlier flight. Their response was that I was only OW Ruby. They wouldn't budge.
If flying in economy absolutely correct as OW status benefits
https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits#benefits
https://www.oneworld.com/members/qatar-airways#tiers
Need to be OW Sapphire (QR gold) or flying business/first class to access lounges.
You were lucky to get into the CBR lounges, unless you were flying business class.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 10:17 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
If flying in economy absolutely correct as OW status benefits
https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits#benefits
https://www.oneworld.com/members/qatar-airways#tiers
Need to be OW Sapphire (QR gold) or flying business/first class to access lounges.
You were lucky to get into the CBR lounges, unless you were flying business class.
QRPC Silver status includes lounge access to QR contracted lounges (not necessarily oneworld lounges) when flying on Qatar Airways flights in Economy:

https://www.qatarairways.com/en-gb/P...hip-tiers.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.