Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Same PNR but transfer in SYD to a VA flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:02 am
Original Poster

QR using VA for last leg - Avios? Connection?

Flying in J to BNE in December. Flight comes into SYD with a connection to BNE via VA. I have transferred before using BA/QF and used the inter-terminal busses as laid on when transferring to another OW carrier. Does anyone know what the setup is when arriving on a OW carrier (QR) but then transferring to a VA flight which is all on the same PNR? Do I have to make my own way or is there an organised transfer between Int and Dom terminals.

Also, crediting whole trip to my BAEC account. Do I earn miles or TPs for this last leg?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:35 am
Original Poster

I asked this in the QR forum but nobody has answered - seeing as it's also BA related I figure I may as well as the wise folk here:

Flying on QR in J to BNE in December. Flight comes into SYD with a connection to BNE via VA (same PNR). I have transferred before using BA/QF and used the inter-terminal busses as laid on when transferring to another OW carrier. Does anyone know what the setup is when arriving on a OW carrier (QR) but then transferring to a VA flight which is all on the same PNR? Do I have to make my own way or is there an organised transfer between Int and Dom terminals.

Also, crediting whole trip to my BAEC account. Do I earn miles or TPs for this last leg?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
There is a landside bus between the international and domestic terminals called the T-Bus which is operated by the airport

No TPs or Avios in the Virgin Australia leg
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just to be clear, not that the answer here will differ, but is this two tickets booked into one PNR or one ticket with a connection? This can matter a great deal for other purposes.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Does anyone know what the setup is when arriving on a OW carrier (QR) but then transferring to a VA flight which is all on the same PNR?
I have not connected to a VA domestic flight, but I do know that VA has this page: https://www.virginaustralia.com/hk/e...al-connections. It is not 100% clear about whether QR --> VA will count, but it would seem to be worth trying.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Just to be clear, not that the answer here will differ, but is this two tickets booked into one PNR or one ticket with a connection? This can matter a great deal for other purposes.
It's a QR ticket ARN-BNE, with the routing being ARN-DOH-SYD-BNE and the last leg being on VA. One PNR for the entire routing, and of course the return which is from MEL.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I have not connected to a VA domestic flight, but I do know that VA has this page: https://www.virginaustralia.com/hk/e...al-connections. It is not 100% clear about whether QR --> VA will count, but it would seem to be worth trying.
Thanks - I think I may as well go for the 'complimentary transfer pass' to T2 and see if they offer it. I would have thought they would, given as it's one ticket all the way and I'll be in possession of a boarding pass.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
There is a landside bus between the international and domestic terminals called the T-Bus which is operated by the airport

No TPs or Avios in the Virgin Australia leg
As i suspected. I wonder if I can add my VS account to just that leg and at least get a few miles for the flight? I have my BAEC attached to the QR booking as a whole. Or perhaps leave it until after the miles are credited to BAEC and claim missing miles for that sector from VS.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I wonder if I can add my VS account to just that leg and at least get a few miles for the flight? I have my BAEC attached to the QR booking as a whole. Or perhaps leave it until after the miles are credited to BAEC and claim missing miles for that sector from VS.
Ask to change the frequent flyer number for that sector when you check in (or drop your bag off if you already had your BP issued) for your domestic VA flight at SYD (remember to pick up your bags at SYD!!! It must clear customs there) . Trying to change it to VS number on Finnair MMB probably won't work.

Change it back if your BAEC number ends up getting detached from your booking after you have flown that sector. I assume you have a bit of time in BNE to check that? If so, you should be able to reattach it on Finnair MMB (changing the FF number to OW seems to work, but it doesn't seem to work if you try to attach a non-OW number - note, I've only tried it with a BA ticket, and not QR so I am not sure if Finnair MMB works with QR tickets).
PAL62V likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Gold, Virgin Australia Plat, IHG Spire
Thanks - I think I may as well go for the 'complimentary transfer pass' to T2 and see if they offer it. I would have thought they would, given as it's one ticket all the way and I'll be in possession of a boarding pass.
It's easy, pick up your luggage, exit customs then turn left and follow signs for Virgin domestic connections (Qantas is to the right). You then check your bags in again and they will then give you a ticket for the bus which leaves right next to the desks
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flying in J to BNE in December. Flight comes into SYD with a connection to BNE via VA. I have transferred before using BA/QF and used the inter-terminal busses as laid on when transferring to another OW carrier. Does anyone know what the setup is when arriving on a OW carrier (QR) but then transferring to a VA flight which is all on the same PNR? Do I have to make my own way or is there an organised transfer between Int and Dom terminals.

VA also have a domestic check-in area in SYD T1 international terminal. Similar system to QF
Existing SYD T1 custom's/immigration turn left to the VA area

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport Click to open the wiki

You will not get BA avios/TP for a Virgin Australian VA flight. Guess this VA flight number. Would credit to a VA ff partner. A VA check-in get them to put in your VS ffn. Keep all your boarding passes until they credit

Cross posted here, with answers:---> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...1#post31521021
Old Sep 14, 2019, 2:11 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
As there is no BA element to this query, and the information in responses is more useful to those flying on QR, we’ll move this to the Qatar forum to better assist the FT community if they search for this in the future.

NWIFlyer
Moderator - BA forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.