Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to get fast WiFi in Al Mourjan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist

Currently in the Al Mourjan lounge on a 4h stopover. Overall, the lounge is quite nice but the WiFi, while free, is dreadfully slow. I was trying to download some Netflix episodes for viewing on the next flight but at this speed it will take a week.

Is there a smart way to get a faster network? Happy to pay for it.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: QR Plat
It's been debated here before, but in general, these are your limits:

- Unless the airport is at the times of day where it is virtually empty the aggregate bandwidth out is abysmal (as in you will struggle to get 1-2 mbit continuous speed).
- In particular upstairs in the resturnat of AM the wifi is mostly not working at any time of day due to poor signal conditions.
- Other dead spots are anywhere you go down a level for bus gates (even if you asked for AM only, just adding it).
- Best bet for getting any useful amount of bandwidth is in the deli section (all the way to the left, behind the glass wall).
- The network in the airport does filtering of applications in somewhat arbitrary manner (one thing may be allowed, another service doing the same thing isn't allowed), this tend to vary over time in randm fashions.
- QR is a tennant in the airport's network, and their wifi does weird blocking on top of the airport's network of strange applications.

-A
Mozart0815 likes this.

Last edited by ph-ndr; Sep 13, 2019 at 4:07 am
Old Sep 13, 2019, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Chris0815
Is there a smart way to get a faster network? Happy to pay for it.
You'll find two nearly identically named wifi networks available in Al Mourjan, the difference in their names is that one has a has mark (#) in the name and the other doesn't. The one with the hash mark is noticeably faster IME, and is the one recommended by staff there.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
You'll find two nearly identically named wifi networks available in Al Mourjan, the difference in their names is that one has a has mark (#) in the name and the other doesn't. The one with the hash mark is noticeably faster IME, and is the one recommended by staff there.
These two work together, one is used to authenticate you, then you get bounced to the other. I've mentioned it in my wifi rant thread in here, it's a really bad way of doing this.

-A
Mozart0815 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Tried the # one as well but it didnt connect.

I really wonder why they don’t just offer a paid premium connection.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:52 am

Lets add some positive spin:
- The terminal hotel has some rooms with excellent wifi coverage.
- The FQTV gods giveth and taketh, there are some rooms with barely any wifi signal. These are the good ones, because if you call the front desk they will supply you with a 4G router, and it has roughly 3.14 metric oodles of bandwidth no matter what happens in the terminal. There are also nufiltered and no traffic engineering happening there, compared to the airport wifi.

Now, lets combine these posts.
If you have a long layover, including a room in the terminal hotel, and they give you a 4G router... this router also has a few hours of battery in it. Stuff the router in your backpack, head across to the deli area in AM, break out your laptop and sit there get your surfing done while attempting to empty the place for tea.

-A
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by ph-ndr
These two work together, one is used to authenticate you, then you get bounced to the other. I've mentioned it in my wifi rant thread in here, it's a really bad way of doing this.
My experience is different. I can always connect independently to either. The one with the hash mark seems to be consistently faster, but not always as easy to connect to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.