Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry on luggage for economy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Carry on luggage for economy

Hello! In about a month I’m traveling from the US to South Africa via Qatar airways. I was wondering if they allow a backpack as a personal item or if they just allow one carry on total. Like could I bring a small carry on bag and a backpack or purse?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: QRPC-Silver & Star-Alliance
IME a small backpack or laptop-bag is accepted, as your personal-item, along with a pull-along (max 7kgs), as the main cabin-bag. I fly Economy, but with QRPC-status.

But others may have experienced differently ?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:57 pm

There is no "personal item" allowance.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by Richard Bell
IME a small backpack or laptop-bag is accepted, as your personal-item, along with a pull-along (max 7kgs), as the main cabin-bag. I fly Economy, but with QRPC-status.

But others may have experienced differently ?
Yes, you may get through checkin with that (and it worked out for me many times in the past), it depends on the agent sitting there, but it is NOT in line with the posted regulations - "personal item must fit within the cabin luggage allowance"
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: QRPC-Silver & Star-Alliance
And yet from the QR-website ... " In addition to your hand baggage allowance, you can also carry personal items such as one lady’s handbag or one small briefcase; one coat, cape or blanket; one umbrella; one pair of crutches or a walking stick; one small camera or binoculars; limited reading material; an infant’s carrying basket; and duty-free items purchased on the day of your flight. "

Whatever, Good Luck to the OP !
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Richard Bell
And yet from the QR-website ... " In addition to your hand baggage allowance, you can also carry personal items such as one lady’s handbag or one small briefcase; one coat, cape or blanket; one umbrella; one pair of crutches or a walking stick; one small camera or binoculars; limited reading material; an infant’s carrying basket; and duty-free items purchased on the day of your flight. "
Nicely quoted to omit the next bullet point
Laptops and laptop bags have to fit within your hand baggage allowance.
So it becomes a peeing contest about how big the item can be and just gets abused, as we all see on nearly every flight.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
Laptops and laptop bags have to fit within your hand baggage allowance.
So it becomes a peeing contest about how big the item can be and just gets abused, as we all see on nearly every flight.
Isn’t this normally about weight, rather than physical size? I.e. Your carry-on & personal item combined must be no more than 7kg?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
I have not flown from the US to Doha so not sure what the US rules are but on QR flying from Europe there is no real issue on cabin bags as long as you do not take the P I have found.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: QR Gold/OW Sapphire
I have been weighed twice out of Houston (IAH). On my part, it took a lot of friendly but persistent "sorry, I absolutely can't check any of this expensive electronic equipment" and a manager to come intervene and make a one-time special exception to let me through the first time I was caught with my grossly overweight hand baggage (relatively small dimensionally, though).

At that point, I didn't even know there was a 7kg weight limit, so I was shocked. I was likewise shocked traveling as Qatar Gold and on business class (obviously a frequent flyer).

After the second time, I've started giving heavier hand bags to family who come to see me off at the airport and then grab it on my way into the terminal after check-in. That's never been an issue as there's nowhere to weigh the bags after check-in (despite being assured that there was the first time I was first caught). Interesting that I've never had bags weighed in Doha even after taking advantage of the stopover.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: QR Gold/OW Sapphire
I've gotten aboard with a hardshell roller and a small backpack (not tiny, but not a huge hiking bag) with no issues, in both business and economy class.

As long as one bag fits under the seat, you should be ok (though usually there's room enough in the overhead bins).
aztimm and Richard Bell like this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by crackjack
Isn’t this normally about weight, rather than physical size? I.e. Your carry-on & personal item combined must be no more than 7kg?
I think both are equally abused. We've all seen the guy with a rollaboard and another bag half the size again strapped to the top, a backpack big enough to hold a small child, briefcase, sandwich bag and a couple of newspapers, all because he thinks not checking luggage is somehow smart or efficient or the rules don't apply to him.
Traveller999, Greenpen and florin like this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by indomie
I have been weighed twice out of Houston (IAH). On my part, it took a lot of friendly but persistent "sorry, I absolutely can't check any of this expensive electronic equipment" and a manager to come intervene and make a one-time special exception to let me through the first time I was caught with my grossly overweight hand baggage (relatively small dimensionally, though).

At that point, I didn't even know there was a 7kg weight limit, so I was shocked. I was likewise shocked traveling as Qatar Gold and on business class (obviously a frequent flyer).

After the second time, I've started giving heavier hand bags to family who come to see me off at the airport and then grab it on my way into the terminal after check-in. That's never been an issue as there's nowhere to weigh the bags after check-in (despite being assured that there was the first time I was first caught). Interesting that I've never had bags weighed in Doha even after taking advantage of the stopover.
Just 2 thoughts on that:

As a J passenger QR gives you a 15 kg allowance for carry-on, either on 1 or 2 bags.

"Hiding" your unallowed carry-ons at check-in is cheating which is unfair to the airline and your fellow passengers who stick to the rules. Moreover you still could be caught at the gate or when boarding even if this is something I never saw happening with QR (but other airlines).
florin likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Nicely quoted to omit the next bullet point
Hello, I am flying Qatar and trying to wrap my head around the carryon in rules.

I plan to stick my electronics in my carryon roller and meet the 7kg requirement. But I also have a small backpack (not my laptop one which I will put in my main suitcase and check in. It’s not very big. Do both together have to add up to 7kg or can the extra small bag let me bring in a couple more kg and thus I can go over the 7kg. It’s sort of confusing.

Thanks.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 5:34 pm

Programs: QRPC Gold, BAEC
Originally Posted by WhiskeyCavalier
Do both together have to add up to 7kg

Thanks.
In black & white, yes. Both little suitcacse (I believe that's your carryon roller) and a mini backpack should be fit the 50x37x25cm (20x15x10in) limit.
But it depends on the check-in staff, some staff do it in a very strict way. Some of them may ask you to put all of your hand baggages on the belt to check the total weight, he/she might even ask you to repack or check the bag in if it exceeds 7kg.
Some of them just want to fulfill their task by getting a bag tagged on one of your hand baggage (if you have 2). I have experienced this situation usually the flight was not full (less than around 60% loading)
* I travelled with QR for 6 years with a backpack and a laptop, sometimes even with duty free souvenirs on flights from Doha.

Which means you can exceed the 7kg a bit at your own risk, consider whether you are capable to:
- carry them for the whole duration of transit in Doha (only applies to baggage without wheels)
- waiting for boarding especially in Doha (there is not enough seating area at the gate if the flight is full) (only applies to baggage without wheels)
- lift your baggages up and down the overhead compartment
- carry them waiting for immigration in final destination (only applies to baggage without wheels)
Old Oct 8, 2022, 8:35 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Definitely no problem, I fly with all full service airline like that.
They maybe weight the carry-on but not the backpack in your shoulder.

​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.