OW Lounge policy restrictions

Old Aug 31, 19, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
OW Lounge policy restrictions

I was looking for some information on the PC pages and I stumbled across this little gem

Note: According to oneworld policy change effective 1 June 2019, Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum and Gold members travelling in Economy cabin of other oneworld carriers can access lounge offered by the operating carrier only. Please refer Lounge access page to find out the eligible lounge.
https://www.qatarairways.com/en/Priv.../oneworld.html

I know for sure that JAL has not introduced such a policy,, and I can't find any indication on the OW website of this policy change. Quite the opposite, on the OW Lounge finder for e.g. Hong Kong it stil says any OW airline for the Cathay lounges, despite JAL, AA, Qantas, and Qatar has other lounge agreements than Cathay.

Is QR pulling a fast one on their members, or is it a sign of things to come for the rest of us? And does this actually get enforced?
Old Aug 31, 19, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
They can't restrict what other carriers do. If you're QR PLT (OW EMD) flying QR or CX Y, you can still go to the QF lounge at LAX.
Old Aug 31, 19, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is QR now a full member of oneworld?
Old Aug 31, 19, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Is QR now a full member of oneworld?
They seem to be trying to gut the benefits.

It may be that they just write it, to make the more gullible members follow their directions. But if flying JAL oiyt of Hong Kong (Qantas as agreed lounge) doe srhe price really differ between going to Qbatas J or Cathay J lounge?
Old Aug 31, 19, 11:39 pm
R2

It may be to try and reduce lounge hopping. Each lounge entry incurs a charge and obviously QR would rather see eligible pax enter just one lounge. Remember they are not generating any income on other carriers' Y pax through their own lounges.
Old Sep 1, 19, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by R2 View Post
It may be to try and reduce lounge hopping. Each lounge entry incurs a charge and obviously QR would rather see eligible pax enter just one lounge. Remember they are not generating any income on other carriers' Y pax through their own lounges.
For the few OW airlines flying to DOH, they do make a bit. But for BKK,, LHR, and CDG it is a choice of their own not to have any facilities for Y pax with status.

Is lounge hopping really that widespread? My impression is that most passengers will just go where the check in staff directs them to go.
Old Sep 1, 19, 2:01 am
R2

I don't think lounge hopping is widespread but when it happens it's surprisingly costly to the airlines. There was a discussion here on FT about the fees lounge operating airlines charge other airlines and I was surprised at the high level; IIRC at LHR the fees were between £50-80 per entry, other airports mostly a bit lower.
Old Sep 1, 19, 2:09 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
For the few OW airlines flying to DOH, they do make a bit. But for BKK,, LHR, and CDG it is a choice of their own not to have any facilities for Y pax with status.

Is lounge hopping really that widespread? My impression is that most passengers will just go where the check in staff directs them to go.
The problem is when QR wants to direct you to a garbage lounge!
I was flying from Manila Terminal 3 to Doha on QR in business class. At the check in, they gave me an invite to a third party lounge. Once I cleared immigration and security, I started to walk to the lounge and noticed there was a Cathay Pacific lounge! Like hell I was going to the third party lounge knowing how good CX lounges can be. I was certainly not disappointed. The Cathay Pacific lounge was great and also served made to order food.
Old Sep 1, 19, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SullyofDoha View Post
The problem is when QR wants to direct you to a garbage lounge!
I was flying from Manila Terminal 3 to Doha on QR in business class. At the check in, they gave me an invite to a third party lounge. Once I cleared immigration and security, I started to walk to the lounge and noticed there was a Cathay Pacific lounge! Like hell I was going to the third party lounge knowing how good CX lounges can be. I was certainly not disappointed. The Cathay Pacific lounge was great and also served made to order food.
The change is only for Y pax. So no panic yet for your example.

And so far only for Privilege Club elite members flying Y on other airlines.
Old Sep 1, 19, 3:59 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Hmm,
Seems a bit screwed up! So if I am Qatar Platinum/ One World Emerald and I am travelling on a QR economy class ticket on QR metal, I would no longer be able to access the Cathay Pacific or JAL lounge in BKK???
Old Sep 1, 19, 4:06 am

Programs: QRPC Gold, BAEC Silver
Isnít it the case that the operating carrier is responsible for lounge fee? For example: QRPC Pax flying BA metal in Y using CX lounge means BA will pay CX for lounge access. If thatís so, how restricting lounge access to QRPC members flying other OW airlines help QR itself save costs?
etiene likes this.
Old Sep 1, 19, 4:10 am

Programs: FB Platinum, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by SullyofDoha View Post
Hmm,
Seems a bit screwed up! So if I am Qatar Platinum/ One World Emerald and I am travelling on a QR economy class ticket on QR metal, I would no longer be able to access the Cathay Pacific or JAL lounge in BKK???
I agree. This is just a huge downgrade... does this only apply to QRPC or to all OW members regardless of the airline ?
Old Sep 1, 19, 4:46 am

Programs: QF gold-> platinum
Originally Posted by kornner View Post
Isnít it the case that the operating carrier is responsible for lounge fee? For example: QRPC Pax flying BA metal in Y using CX lounge means BA will pay CX for lounge access. If thatís so, how restricting lounge access to QRPC members flying other OW airlines help QR itself save costs?
i dont know that itís ever been officially confirmed but I believe in Y class the FFP granting access pays, whereas in J/F the operating carrier pays

so me recently, QF WP (OWE) flying BA in Y, QFF pays, flying Iberia in J, IB pays

happy to be corrected
Old Sep 1, 19, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kornner View Post
Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
i dont know that itís ever been officially confirmed but I believe in Y class the FFP granting access pays, whereas in J/F the operating carrier pays

so me recently, QF WP (OWE) flying BA in Y, QFF pays, flying Iberia in J, IB pays

happy to be corrected
My understanding so far has been that on OW the operating carrier pays for lounge access. But with Star Alliance it depends, class based access the operating carrier pays, and status based the FFP pays. Though this is something that is not public information, so it is not entirely clear.

Maybe OW switched to the same model as Star Alliance, and QRPC is worried about the cost.

Originally Posted by toastedcafe View Post

I agree. This is just a huge downgrade... does this only apply to QRPC or to all OW members regardless of the airline ?
So far it has not been communicated by JAL, or put on JAL's website for sure. Last Saturday I used The Pier F in Hong Kong on a JAL Y ticket, JAL's official lounge is Qantas.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 1, 19, 5:05 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nancypants View Post

happy to be corrected
Yes, I'd also read previously that the operating carrier pays for access as per your ticket (eg business class ticket entering a business class lounge) but that the FFP pays for access as per your status (eg economy class ticket entering a business/first lounge / a business class ticket entering a first lounge). I'm not sure if I'd read it from an official source though.

Search this Thread